Hello from Granddaughter of SS Nieuw Amsterdam crew member

Maidagv
20th August 2013, 15:49
Just in the last few years my father started to relay stories about his life with and without his father during WWII as well as stories my Opa told him. I've started looking around to learn about HAL SS Nieuw Amsterdam during 1938 to 1948.

I found this site and it looks like it would be a great way to connect with others that may have gotten similar stories. So hopefully I'll find the right forum among these pages and see others stories about ship life in general.

So Hello everyone.

hawkey01
20th August 2013, 16:19
Maidagv,

on behalf of the Moderating team welcome to SN.

Just to start you off in your research:

Nieuw Amsterdam:
Built 1938 by Rotterdam DryDock Rotterdam - Yard No200.
Passenger ship - Netherlands.
36287 tons.
Length 231.2m Beam 26.9m
Twin screw turbine - speed 20.5 knots.
During WWII she was a troopship.
Broken up in Kaohsiung 2.3.1974.

Hawkey01

Reef Knot
20th August 2013, 16:23
Just in the last few years my father started to relay stories about his life with and without his father during WWII as well as stories my Opa told him. I've started looking around to learn about HAL SS Nieuw Amsterdam during 1938 to 1948.

I found this site and it looks like it would be a great way to connect with others that may have gotten similar stories. So hopefully I'll find the right forum among these pages and see others stories about ship life in general.

So Hello everyone.Hello - welcome! Is you Dad still around? I bet he'd like this site too.

Maidagv
20th August 2013, 16:51
Thanks both for your immediate responses. @ Reef Knot. Yes my father is still around. He is 83 years young. I am actually working with him to try and write stories of his life before and during WWII in Rotterdam/Sprang-Capelle. During that time, as I said, he started telling me stories of his father also being on the ship during the war. I'd love to get my father on the computer. My mother was always the computer dabbler, but she's gone now. So we'll see. He has her computer still. So maybe...

John Rogers
20th August 2013, 17:46
Start him off one finger at a time, I am almost a young 82 and I was scared to death of a computer, I was 65 years old when I started to play with them.
Tell him there is no way he can break it.
Good luck with your search.

Pompeyfan
20th August 2013, 20:13
Also on behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard Maidagv.

Nieuw Amsterdam was one of the finest looking passenger liners ever built in my opinion seeing her many times off the south coast of the UK where I live.

Dickyboy
20th August 2013, 20:38
Welcome aboard Maidagv. Have a look in the Gallery, find Nieuw Amsterdam, then hand the computer over to Pop. I'm sure he'll soon learn to click a mouse. :)

Jeff Taylor
20th August 2013, 20:43
Small piece of NA trivia. My father did a transatlantic on the Nieu Amsterdam on it's maiden eastbound crossing in 1938, first class, and returned on the Normandie. He LOVED the NA, and equally hated the Normandie. For what it's worth, he confided in me that the medical office was the best place to discretely smuggle tourist girls to first class for social events. I'm not sure what use anyone will put that to now, but there it is. Dad is no longer with us, but I still have his 16mm movies of the trip.

billyboy
20th August 2013, 23:17
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

Maidagv
21st August 2013, 00:02
Wow, this site is a real GEM. Verify happy to hear comments from all of you and equally happy to hear actual experiences and stories of family experiences.
@Jeff Taylor - ever thought of getting those 16mm onto DVD?
@Dickyboy - LOL, you are probably right. I'll see him tomorrow and you can be sure that I'll show him the Gallery.

R58484956
21st August 2013, 09:52
Greetings Maidagv and welcome to SN from across the pond. Bon voyage.