Hello

conrad De Souza
27th August 2013, 07:33
Hello,

I am a new member and my name is Conrad De Souza.
I served as a Radio Officer with Blue Funnel Lines, Straits Steamship and Pacific International Lines from 1971-1977.
My last sea-going appointment was as Chief Radio Officer on board the cruise vessel, 'Kota Bali" owned by Pacific Int. Lines.

Conrad

Pompeyfan
27th August 2013, 07:37
On behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard Conrad.

R58484956
27th August 2013, 09:10
Greetings Conrad and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

hawkey01
27th August 2013, 09:36
Conrad,

welcome to SN. Come along to the Radio Room and join us.

Hawkey01

billyboy
27th August 2013, 11:24
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

richardwakeley
1st September 2013, 07:40
Hello Conrad,

Welcome to Ships Nostalgia. I think we had at least one CW QSO. My old TR Book shows I contacted ss JASON/GBMW on 19th April 1972 on the Blue Funnel sked. Bound Kaohsiung (for scrap) from Keelung, Capt. Emery, R/Os Macdonald and yourself. Guess you signed off at the scrapyard the next day.
I was R/O on CYCLOPS/GMQD at the time. I spent most of 1979 on CENTAUR/9VGQ when KOTA BALI was our competitor on the Straits-Fremantle run.

Best regards,
Richard

conrad De Souza
2nd September 2013, 12:29
Hello Richard,

I am happy to hear from a fellow "Sparks".
Yes, I was on the Jason in 1972 on the voyage from Liverpool to the scrapyard in Taiwan.
However, I signed off in Hong Kong as the company wanted to save costs and felt that only 1 R/O ( Ian MacDonald)was needed from H.K. to Taiwan.
Do you know if MacDonald and Capt Emery are still around?

Best Regards.

Conrad

richardwakeley
3rd September 2013, 05:16
G'day Conrad,

I left Blue Funnel in 1982 and have not had much contact with anyone for many years except a couple of mates who also joined Jardines (Hong Kong) and ended up as Captains. I kept my TR Book up to 1976, but the last time Macdonald's name appears in it is 25th November 1972 when he was on Anchises. I sailed with Captain Emery, his signature is in my Discharge Book when I signed off Priam at Yokohama in May 1976.

This site is an amazing place to meet up with old shipmates.

Best regards,
Richard.

conrad De Souza
4th September 2013, 06:34
Hi Richard,

Yes, this site is wonderful to search for old shipmates.
Unfortunately, I suspect most of them are not aware of the existence of this portal.

Would you know another R/O that I sailed with on my maiden voyage on the "Stentor" doing the Aussie run? His name is James Cole.
Old Man then was Capt C.H.F. Hill.

Cheers.
Conrad

richardwakeley
4th September 2013, 09:57
Conrad,
Yes, I knew Jim Cole quite well, as he attended Bristol Technical College doing a course (Electronics or 1st Class PMG?) when I was there. Can't quite remember why he was there, as I'm sure he lived in Aussie. He was always on the Singapore-Aussie run. I think, but not sure, he passed away some years ago. I never sailed with Capt. Hill
Richard

conrad De Souza
4th September 2013, 15:30
Richard,
Sorry to hear that Jim passed away.
He was 1st R/O when I was 2nd R/O on Stentor from April - Oct. 1971.
An excellent mentor and very patient and quiet chap.
I knew he loved the Aussie run and didn't want to return to the main run as he had an Aussie girlfriend in Sydney.
Conrad

conrad De Souza
4th September 2013, 15:31
Richard,
Sorry to hear that Jim passed away.
He was 1st R/O when I was 2nd R/O on Stentor from April - Oct. 1971.
An excellent mentor and very patient and quiet chap.
I knew he loved the Aussie run and didn't want to return to the main run as he had an Aussie girlfriend in Sydney.
Conrad