Crew Lists

Graham the pipe
27th August 2013, 10:11
[FONT="Garamond"] Is there anyone 'out there' who kept a crew list of each and every vessel on which they sailed?

Wish I had! The older one gets the hazier the remembering of names becomes, even those who were friends rather than mere Board of Trade acquaintances.

John Gillespie
29th August 2013, 15:31
Yes, I have kept a crew list of all the foreign going ships that I sailed on.
Elder Dempster,
1965 Shonga/Mallam, Masters, Armstrong/McManus, C/O Pierce,2/0s Darwell/Kinsella,3/0 Self,R/0 Cartwright/Massey, Cadets,Bickers C/E Moore
1967 Owerri, Masters Greenwood/Johnston, C/O, Paton,2/0 Atkin/Rae, 3/0 Self
Cadets Kinsey,Monkton,Norton, R/0 Gore/Woods,C/E McCutcheon, 2/E Kemp, Purser, Ritch.
1967 Aureol Master,Sullivan, C/0 Woodward,2/0 Moore, x2/0 Willerton, 3/0 Self,x3/0 Grant. Cadets Moore,Houldsworth
1968 Dixcove Master,Dunne,C/0 Kean, 2/0 Binnie, 3/0 Self R/0 Cartwright
C/E Wilson
1970 Owerri Master, McManus,C/0 Pearson,2/0 Self,3/0 Dickson R/0 Nolan, C/E Webster

Graham the pipe
29th August 2013, 20:21
Hi John.

A 'forward thinker'! When you chose to do this was it for the reason that now applies, namely as an aide memoire?

Whilst you did many voyages with EDs, I take it you didn't serve your time with them? Some of the skippers you name I sailed with and am in regular E mail contact with Brian McManus. Do you want me to pass on your regards to him?

John Gillespie
29th August 2013, 21:42
Graham,
I kept a dairy from the first day I went to sea in 1959, as an a apprentice with Irish Shipping,logging every officer and cadet that I sailed with over the years
I retired from Irish Ferries in 2000 after 23 years service, 15 years as Master.
Yes, do pass on my regard to Brian, he should remember me

Graham the pipe
29th August 2013, 22:01
John,

Forgive me but I'm still chuckling at the typo in your reply. We all know what a 'farmer' is - in respect of watches - but you are the first 'Dairy' farmer I've had the pleasure of talking to about 'udder' things.

Does my old Mate Captain Mike 'Paddy' Kelly live near you? I'll pass on your regards to Brian and advise on feedback.

Degema
15th September 2013, 17:05
Hi Graham,

Ocean Fleets use to publish crew lists (called Gazette) of all it's ships. I have one dated March 1976. If you are interested in a particular ship from that time I can look it up for you.

Graham the pipe
15th September 2013, 19:27
Hi Graham,

Ocean Fleets use to publish crew lists (called Gazette) of all it's ships. I have one dated March 1976. If you are interested in a particular ship from that time I can look it up for you.

Hi 'Degema',

Find that name 'somewhat familiar'! See my comments under the ship of that name. If you can access ED crew lists from '57 ~ '66 then, yes, I would be MORE than happy but - and it is a very big BUT - I strongly suspect and have been advised by more than one 'informed' source, that they were all 'dispensed with' on the demise of the company. I'll await your reply with extreme interest.

tom roberts
15th September 2013, 20:21
[QUOTE=John Gillespie;699632]Graham,
I kept a dairy from the first day I went to sea in 1959, as an a apprentice with Irish Shipping,logging every officer and cadet that I sailed with over the years
I retired from Irish Ferries in 2000 after 23 years service, 15 years as Master.
Yes, do pass on my regard to Brian, he should remember me[/QUOTE Capt John I never kept any records of crews I sailed with,being an a.b on many vessels from 1954 to19699,tho I can remember many of the those who were for one reason or the other stay in the memory,but one Capt I have great memories of is Capt John Mc Gann ] on the Torwood ,and as I last saw him he was on one of the Irish Boats.We had a great time on the Torwood until she was sold to new owners.She was my favourite vessel and Capt McGann one of the best skippers,maybe you came across him during your time with the Irish Ferries?.

Degema
16th September 2013, 10:17
Hi 'Degema',

Find that name 'somewhat familiar'! See my comments under the ship of that name. If you can access ED crew lists from '57 ~ '66 then, yes, I would be MORE than happy but - and it is a very big BUT - I strongly suspect and have been advised by more than one 'informed' source, that they were all 'dispensed with' on the demise of the company. I'll await your reply with extreme interest.

Ah! Sorry Graham. I'm afraid I didn't join Ocean until Feb 1975. First ship was Dumbaia followed by Degema, Dixcove, Dalla, Donga and Pegu. Left in March 79 when they started laying off Radio Officers. There may be some names you'll recognise on the list so if you wish I can scan in the Elder Dempster section and email it to you.

John Gillespie
16th September 2013, 14:20
[QUOTE=John Gillespie;699632]Graham,
Yes, do pass on my regard to Brian, he should remember me[/QUOTE Capt John I never kept any records of crews I sailed with,being an a.b on many vessels from 1954 to19699,tho I can remember many of the those who were for one reason or the other stay in the memory,but one Capt I have great memories of is Capt John Mc Gann ] on the Torwood ,and as I last saw him he was on one of the Irish Boats.We had a great time on the Torwood until she was sold to new owners.She was my favourite vessel and Capt McGann one of the best skippers,maybe you came across him during your time with the Irish Ferries?.

Tom,
Interesting, John McCann is a cousin of mine and we both hail from Inishowen Head at the mouth of Lough Foyle. I remember when he was Master of the "Torwood" in the late 50's. A rock dodger by all accounts, who brought her to ports where no other vessel ventured.He was only 22 years old at the time.
John, later joined Pandora and served there as Master for over 30 years retiring in 1995.
I meet him regularly and at 77 he hasn't changed a bit
He now lives in Crosby with his wife,Colette.
Regard
John
Regards

tom roberts
16th September 2013, 18:32
Capt John please give my best regards to Capt McGann, I am glad to hear he is well, as you say he took the Torwood to some cracking little ports many of which we could tell some stories.I wonder does he still remember a little dinghy from Lough Swilly that ended up on board the Torwood.She was a great little rock dodger no comforts to talk about and a bugger to steer being a cable and chain steering,no hot water and a loo that was worked on a system that meant if you were not quick working the flap you got a quick return of,well I will leave it to your imagination,it was the same with the stove in our accomodation when she was bouncing around the Irish sea you were smoked out.A rough old rockdodger she may have been but I loved her.

John Gillespie
16th September 2013, 23:08
Capt John please give my best regards to Capt McGann, I am glad to hear he is well, as you say he took the Torwood to some cracking little ports many of which we could tell some stories.I wonder does he still remember a little dinghy from Lough Swilly that ended up on board the Torwood.She was a great little rock dodger no comforts to talk about and a bugger to steer being a cable and chain steering,no hot water and a loo that was worked on a system that meant if you were not quick working the flap you got a quick return of,well I will leave it to your imagination,it was the same with the stove in our accomodation when she was bouncing around the Irish sea you were smoked out.A rough old rockdodger she may have been but I loved her.

Tom,
I will most certainly pass on your regards. The Derry pilots hated to see her coming because of her steering you just mentioned, taking the two sides of the channel going up the Foyle. Two other seaman who were associated with the Torwood,namely, Captain Thompson from Rosses Point and Paddy Farren,AB from Inishowen Head,both deceased.

Amanda Fay
17th August 2014, 23:56
Hi there, i am currently searching for my grandfather who was in the Merchant Navy from 1955-1962. His name is Aloysius Patrick Box also known as Al, Ala, Alan.. he is from Londonderry born 4th March 1940 so he would be 74 years of age now. If anyone recognizes his name or remembers him any information would be a great help. Thanks

Philip Streets
19th October 2014, 16:43
Hi Graham,

I sailed with Elder Dempster in 1976 on the Sherbro and Shonga and would be interested in finding a second officer I sailed with and who was best man at my wedding in Paris in 1977, his name was Gary Stevens. I would be most grateful for any contact information. Regards Philip Streets

Degema
24th October 2014, 12:05
Sorry Philip. Couldn't find any reference to you or Gary Stevens in the my March 1976 issue of the Gazette.