BBC World Service: The Merchant Navy Programme.

Graham the pipe
6th September 2013, 06:38
Can't help wondering if the programme is still broadcast? I 'think' the name of the young lady presenting the record requests, to the end, was Lynne Burdette. Do remember her playing 'Manhattan Spiritual' for me, in '63, during yet another States trip on the Obuasi. Was the last voyage I did on her and my last as 3/0 before getting my 2/0's job on a K boat.

(Pint) Cheers!

GTP

Duncan112
6th September 2013, 08:26
Afraid the Merchant Navy Programme went years ago, to be replaced with one called Seven Seas that has also now vanished!!

Chris Isaac
6th September 2013, 09:10
The title of the program implied that we had a Merchant Navy.
Maybe they should relaunch it and call it "Melodies from Manila"

Ray Mac
6th September 2013, 09:13

B\)(Read)(Applause)(Applause) Or Mombasa[=P]

Graham the pipe
6th September 2013, 09:15
Thank you for that information, Duncan. Not surprised the MN programme is 'no more'. Even less surprised that 'Seven Seas', which I've never heard of or listened to, has gone, also. Wouldn't have thought an ad for Cod Liver Oil was the ideal pick me - or cheer me - up when in rough Atlantic or Pacific weather.

Graham the pipe
6th September 2013, 09:24

Yes, you're so right, Chris! We did have a MN in my time {the 50s and 60s}. Did the cessation of the programme coincide with the start of it's demise, or was it just coincidental?

Chris Isaac
6th September 2013, 10:37
Yes, you're so right, Chris! We did have a MN in my time {the 50s and 60s}. Did the cessation of the programme coincide with the start of it's demise, or was it just coincidental?

The think it was because the BBC shut down the programme that the Merchant Navy shut down in sympathy.
Someone must be to blame and it certainly wasn't any of us.

trotterdotpom
6th September 2013, 12:11
How do you say "Red Sails in the Sunset" in Tagalog?

John T

Graham the pipe
6th September 2013, 13:01
How do you say "Red Sails in the Sunset" in Tagalog?

John T

Tagredsailsinthesunsetalog I presume.

Alex Salmond
6th September 2013, 13:51

Hahaha very droll mate thatll learn him gotcha there JT(*))

Peter Martin
9th September 2013, 16:09
Last presenter I remember in the early 70's was Sarah Ward. She had a most sultry voice!!!!

R396040
9th September 2013, 16:44
Is there anyone else who remembers when the MN Programme was broadcast live from the MN club which was in a small street next to Lyons Corner House between Piccadilly Circus and Leicester Square ? It would have been in Fifties.....
Ladies of the night patrolled in the near proximity !
Stuart

Graham the pipe
10th September 2013, 09:22
Is there anyone else who remembers when the MN Programme was broadcast live from the MN club which was in a small street next to Lyons Corner House between Piccadilly Circus and Leicester Square ? It would have been in Fifties.....
Ladies of the night patrolled in the near proximity !
Stuart

Far too late in the day, now, to say "I'll see you in there and buy you a pint"! London was very much my 'stamping ground' in the 50s and
60s when on leave or TT ashore, 'Ticket Taking' that is, not 'on the wagon'! However, for some inexplicable reason, I never knew it existed, never mind that the MN programme was broadcast from that address.

franciscojosewaring
24th October 2013, 16:04
I recall a request from some body on a Blue Funnel vessel, during the time of the joining of the two fleets (ed and ah) , they asked for" Whats it All About Alfie", head office were quite miffed,so I was told Frank

steve Coombs
24th October 2013, 17:43
The Merchant Navy Programme has been gone for nearly 30 years now, one of the main presenters was Malcolm Billings, it went out three times a week to some areas

trotterdotpom
24th October 2013, 17:52

Good one, Graham, I've just found it.

The Merchant Navy Programme was certainly going until 1980 but the record requests had disappeared by then. Not sure how long it lasted.

From what I gather, the World Service itself is much reduced these days. No doubt it will go the way of bowler hats and fish and chips.

John T

richardwakeley
27th October 2013, 04:47
John,

BBC is now the 'Bombay Broadcasting Corporation'.

Roger Turner
28th October 2013, 00:25
Cannot remember a specific MN programme, but seem to recall "Two way Family Favourites" - Judith Chalmers - Cliff Mitchelmore`s missis?

One favourite which went down well was "Sailor stop your roving, Dailor leave the sea" was it Petula Clark? anyway it was reckoned to have been responsible for a 10% decline in sea staff..

It was popular in a number of languages and I remember hearing it in Dutch in Rotterdam

Finally Victor Sylvester with his strict tempo ballroom orchestra, he played requests from all over the place, were fascinated to think of the locals in Jos or Brazzaville dancing the "High life" to his tunes.
Anybody try it? (once is enough - Riz Bar I think, just down the road from Lagos offices - all the "mammies" shuffling around in a circle wriggling their bums in unison - fascinating) Another haunt in Lagos -"The Roof Garden" - back to the Buoys from Customs Wharf in a canoe - we were mad!

trotterdotpom
28th October 2013, 11:55
Cannot remember a specific MN programme, but seem to recall "Two way Family Favourites" - Judith Chalmers - Cliff Mitchelmore`s missis?

One favourite which went down well was "Sailor stop your roving, Dailor leave the sea" was it Petula Clark? anyway it was reckoned to have been responsible for a 10% decline in sea staff..

It was popular in a number of languages and I remember hearing it in Dutch in Rotterdam

Finally Victor Sylvester with his strict tempo ballroom orchestra, he played requests from all over the place, were fascinated to think of the locals in Jos or Brazzaville dancing the "High life" to his tunes.
Anybody try it? (once is enough - Riz Bar I think, just down the road from Lagos offices - all the "mammies" shuffling around in a circle wriggling their bums in unison - fascinating) Another haunt in Lagos -"The Roof Garden" - back to the Buoys from Customs Wharf in a canoe - we were mad!

Roger, not sure, but you may have pre-dated the Merchant Navy Programme. I well remember Family Favourites on a Sunday afternoon - "What's the weather like where you are, Judith?" That was for the forces who in those days were based all over the place. They used to switch from Germany to Cyprus to Aden to Hong Kong, etc.

The song "Sailor", sung by Petula Clark and Ann Shelton, was originally a German song "Seemann" (deine Heimat ist das Meer) - they were still playing it in St Pauli in the '70s.

Is it possible that the "Roof Bar" in Lagos could have been "Maxim's", just a hop step and jump from the Lagos wharves? What a laugh, I remember the conga line to the room out the back where there was a sink full of condoms, although we didn't call them condoms in those days. Thanks for the mammaries.

John T