Can you identify this ship being built?

Tim Dunn
18th September 2013, 14:02
Hi everyone,

This is my first time on this site so I hope I am not out of line by posting this here. Above my desk is a drawing of a ship being constructed. I am not a mariner by trade so I don't have much idea what I'm looking at except that I very much enjoy this drawing. I purchased it in a second hand shop in Athens Ohio in about 1975. Can anyone tell me about this ship? Is it a passenger ship? Freight? What vintage? I suspect learning the name will be a tall order but I'll bet there on some on this site that can at least identify the approximate year. I will be grateful for any information.

Tim Dunn

Boatman25
18th September 2013, 14:45
Would help if the photograph was round the right way

makko
18th September 2013, 14:51
A very nice picture it is too!
There appear to be some anomalies with the hull details. Looks like a twin screw and I would hazard a guess that it is being built in a dry dock. Beyond that, I don't have any other thoughts. Maybe a Laker?
Rgds.
Dave

John Rogers
18th September 2013, 14:54
A lot of port-holes to be a laker Dave.

cueball44
18th September 2013, 15:07
Could be a tall ship, something like "SORLANDET".

Tmac1720
18th September 2013, 15:22
With that stern profile she looks German, possibly BREMEN, but lots of artistic license used in the drawing.

Tim Dunn
18th September 2013, 16:07
Would help if the photograph was round the right way

Hi Boatman,

When I click on the photo it is right side up.

Everyone else, are you viewing it right side up or sideways?

To everyone else with comments, Thanks! I know quite a bit more already than I did before.

Tim

Tim Dunn
18th September 2013, 16:28
I looked online for some images of the SORLANDET and I agree it looks very similar. I never imagined a sailing vessel but the images convinced me. I have sent out some additional inquiries to try and lean more. If I find out anything interesting I will share here. I saw on Wikipedia that the SORLANDET was originally built as a sailing ship but had an engine and propeller added in 1958.

FYI, When I look carefully, there is no sign of prop shafts in the drawing.

John Rogers
20th November 2013, 13:24
I recently saw a photo in Ships Magazine and it looked very much like the photo in this thread. Could it be one of White Stars Big Four,CELTIC,CEDRIC,ADRIATIC,and BALTIC.

Tim Dunn
20th November 2013, 13:34
Hi John,

Thanks for the tip. I googled a lot of images of the big four but not many are stern shots so it is hard to tell. I glanced up at the image above my desk and realized there is no rudder. I'm not sure what to make of that. It has to have a rudder correct? Is there an online version of Ships magazine so I could see the images you saw?

Thanks again,
Tim

John Rogers
20th November 2013, 18:22
I have no idea Tim,maybe a Google is in order.

Devilsfan3332
7th August 2014, 02:49
it is an artistic rendering of a Cunarder being built I think

Dickyboy
7th August 2014, 03:51
A lot of timber scaffolding. Would that be normal in a ship building project of that sort of era?

stein
7th August 2014, 05:49
That looks a bit like a Frank Brangwyn etching. It is probably is not - the lines look a bit too straight, and there are no people in the picture foreground - but it is a well drawn picture. Brangwyn sometimes named the houses, the bridges, and the ships he painted, but sometimes not.

Could you tell us what is written underneath: is there a signature?