Sangara. Her final departure.

Graham the pipe
5th October 2013, 21:02
Just in case you've not seen before, click on the link.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rpsmithbarney/5510160235/

ben27
7th October 2013, 01:21
good day graham the pipe.sm.yesterday.06:02.re:sangara her final departure,i had not heard of her before,but your link was very informative.she had an amazing life,thank you for posting regards ben27

Roger Turner
12th October 2013, 12:06
Sad picture, but glad of the photo,brings back many happy memories of my first trip to sea in Sept/Dec 1953 as clerk.

We sailed from Liverpool for the Continent Bremen/Hamburg/Rotterdam - I think Antwerp. We took the Office Staff or some of them anyway around the Continent and dropped them off back at Dover.

Very wet behind the ears - but I can truly say much of my education was complete in three short months.
Some crew memories.
Captain Ernie Kingan + Wife (Continental trip only)
C/Eng Duckworth - Bluff character -Ginger hair and mustache(?)
2nd/Eng Vince Taylor - sailed with him on another of ED`s later when he was c/Eng
A/Purser Doug Martin - great bloke
C.Steward - Jack Beck - full of fun great feeder
Senior Apprentice Jock...........a bad influence on me,how was it that Apprentices always knew all the best entertainment spots and who was sleeping with which passenger?

a couple of short ones-
Overheard in the Saloon,when office staff feeding
Hoarse Scouse female whisper"What`s French Fried Potatoes?"
Husband "Chips"
Wife "Well why don`t they call them chips?"
My introduction to the Scouse accent!

About me.
Picture a Ferry back from St Pauli -approx midnight or later - me after my introduction to the Reeperbahn by above said Jock .........- putting my non-German into practice with an attractive young female native fellow passenger.
The other Apprentice from the ship appears at my side.
"I`ve got a message from the Captain"
"Will you ask the Purser if he`s intending to sail with us"
We had reached the time to disembark,
I looked over and there was "Ernie" and his wife viewing my technique.
Oh dear, foot firmly in own mouth.
Lots of other things, but he was a great skipper and good to the young.

eldersuk
13th October 2013, 00:09
Chief Engineer John Duckworth.
As you say, a bluff character. He was the spitting image of TV comedian Jimmy Edwards, in fact I was with him on Fenchurch Street Station when he was asked for his autograph! Much to the embarrassment of all concerned.
Nevertheless, quite a likeable Chief. Finished up as Super in Tilbury.

Derek

Graham the pipe
13th October 2013, 08:27
Chief Engineer John Duckworth.
As you say, a bluff character. He was the spitting image of TV comedian Jimmy Edwards, in fact I was with him on Fenchurch Street Station when he was asked for his autograph! Much to the embarrassment of all concerned.
Nevertheless, quite a likeable Chief. Finished up as Super in Tilbury.

Derek

Remember sailing with him but can't remember which ship, think it was an O. Seem to remember he had a rather active 'personal exhaust' and once picked a mealtime - of all times - to go into great detail describing how, on one occasion, a normal emission turned out not to be such. Does this sound like him?

eldersuk
13th October 2013, 22:59
That sounds much more like Vince Taylor.

Derek

Roger Turner
16th October 2013, 12:25
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1990

My location
That sounds much more like Vince Taylor.

Derek

I`m glad you said that first Derek, echos my thoughts exactly - sailed with said Vince twice and he didn`t improve on second acquaintance. You`ll know what he was like as an Engineer.........but how Elders came to let him anywhere near passengers, I don`t know

eldersuk
16th October 2013, 23:37
I only sailed with him once. Never again!
He was Chief and I was Second on the Sunjarv. I could write a book about it, he was the most uncouth (uncouthest??) man I have ever met.

Derek