Falabar and a ONE MONTH 'round trip'

Graham the pipe
16th October 2013, 18:45
https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/392789/title/falaba-trials/cat/510

Curious to hear comments in respect of a 'round trip' of ONE MONTH.

That's ONE THIRD of the 'average' time of a coast trip in my day.

'Pinched' the photo from the SN cargo ship gallery and posted here so that fellow Es of Es could see the comment and 'comment'.

Roger Turner
16th October 2013, 21:25
Hardly worth signing on - there used to be a phrase, probably to do with lying outside Lagos for more than a week "more day,more dolla" Oh!those damned chipping hammers.

What`s with the "dinky" masts?did they have a benefit?

Rogerfrench
17th October 2013, 04:56
GTP - you can have Falaba or Calabar. Not Calaba or Falabar, though!

Rogerfrench
17th October 2013, 04:58
Hardly worth signing on - there used to be a phrase, probably to do with lying outside Lagos for more than a week "more day,more dolla" Oh!those damned chipping hammers.

What`s with the "dinky" masts?did they have a benefit?

"Dinky"? They worked very well. Bipod masts spread the load better and don't need shrouds.

richardwakeley
17th October 2013, 05:59
G'day Graham,
See the attached.
My first two trips were one month round voyages on Falaba, Tilbury 'West Africa Express' service in 1970. Capt. C.S.H. O'Sullivan, aka Timoshenko (but not to his face). 1st R/O Cliff Hughes. Can't remember the name of the 3rd Mate but it was he who introduced me to the delights of the 21 Club at Apapa, which name I have just been reminded of elsewhere on SN. My memory of 43 years ago is somewhat faded, but the trips were to Takoradi (or was it Tema) and Apapa, only two ports except brief calls at Freetown, not alongside but just a barge, for crew etc. At least one other 'F Boat' must have been on the same service. This Tilbury Express service was running at a time when the old mailboats had already been sold and Aureol was exiled to Southampton. There were no berthing delays at Apapa at that time, unlike later in the 70s. My trip on 'Dalla' further down the page was of more traditional length, with calls at almost every creek on the coast. These were my only two ED ships, other than a coast on Stentor (ex M-boat) with a yellow funnel.
Brgds, Richard.

woodend
17th October 2013, 08:06
Glad to see that the 'R' was just a figment of GTP's imagination. I have a picture of FALABA (!) on the wall here in my study as I spent 9 happy months on her as 2nd Mate in 63/64 and had to check it just to be sure. The 'F' boats were a good class as I also spent time on FORCADOS!

Graham the pipe
17th October 2013, 08:27
GTP - you can have Falaba or Calabar. Not Calaba or Falabar, though!

I stand/sit 'corrected' - yet again Roger! When - if ever - I get around to writing my 'or toe buy og RAF 'e' ' I'll employ you as my poof reeder. I'll remember NOT to 'trip over my Rs'(Wave) when it comes to a certain F and that you - Mein Fuhrer - have been known to bay when 'aroused'/woken unexpectedly.

Graham the pipe
17th October 2013, 08:50
Glad to see that the 'R' was just a figment of GTP's imagination. I have a picture of FALABA (!) on the wall here in my study as I spent 9 happy months on her as 2nd Mate in 63/64 and had to check it just to be sure. The 'F' boats were a good class as I also spent time on FORCADOS!

'morning John. Having made my apologies to that 'FB' individual - only joking Roger - I'm pleased I'm not the only OO who has to 'check' things, 'just to make sure', before making a positive statement. Never made an F myself. D 'grades', a few Cs, never any As. At least my Ds didn't have that troublesome R immediately afterwards. When were you on the 'Focados'? {Note that I HAVE omitted that 'R' as it's a F****** class boat!}

stan mayes
17th October 2013, 10:59
John Higgins of Liverpool was the Bosun in Falaba for a long time -
I believe from new?
He was married in Lagos and later was Shore Bosun for Elder Dempster
in Lagos.
Stan

woodend
17th October 2013, 14:07
FALABA from November 1963 to August 1964 and FORCADOS from November 65 to May 66, both under command of one Captain Nelson Taylor who I spent quite a lot of time with during my E.D. time. He was also in command of OBUASI and DARU while I was there. Don't think he ever got to the 'mail boats'.

Geoff Gower
17th October 2013, 15:34
Whilst there is a port of "Calabar" my memory says that the ship's name, from meeting her on the West African coast was infact "Falabar"

Graham the pipe
17th October 2013, 15:49
Hate to contradict, Geoff but here's the 'original' and her successor, both of which, as you can see, are 'less the final 'r', hence my apology to Roger F.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/9506891705

http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/viewship.asp?id=19355

woodend
17th October 2013, 15:55
Sorry Geoff two different ships. CALABAR was the ex Bullard and King vessel UMTALI which E.D.'s bought in 1957 and was put on the Tilbury - W.A. run as the 'Cement Mail' together with her sister UMGENI which became the WINNEBA (note again no 'R'). The FALABA was I think the second one of the new 'F' class built for E.D.'s.

Geoff Gower
17th October 2013, 16:10
Good exercise -- look what was hiding under the chart and dividers!
Falaba (1) 1906 1915 torpedoed and sunk off St Anne's Head; loss of 102 lives. 4,806
Falaba (2) 1962 1978 sold to Honduras, renamed Leonor Maria. 7,704
and Calabar:--
Calabar (1) 1864 1873 sold to Thos Royden & Sons (shipbuilders) in part payment for new ship. 1,122
Calabar (2) 1883 1898 wrecked Liberia. 1,756
Calabar (3) 1935 1953 sold to Greece, renamed Semiramis. 1,932
Calabar (4) 1936 ex- Umtali, 1957 purchased from Bullard, King & Co, London, renamed Calabar, 1962 scrapped. 8,305

Rogerfrench
17th October 2013, 18:47
The Falaba was under construction in Scott's yard in Greenock when I joined the Fourah Bay there, and here's a picture of her I took a couple of years later when I was on the Accra.

Roger Turner
17th October 2013, 22:30
woodend woodend

FALABA from November 1963 to August 1964 and FORCADOS from November 65 to May 66, both under command of one Captain Nelson Taylor who I spent quite a lot of time with during my E.D. time. He was also in command of OBUASI and DARU while I was there. Don't think he ever got to the 'mail boats'.

Captain Nelson Taylor, Sailed happily with him on the "Cambray" approx 53-54.
Did he show you his scar (Hernia I think) on his stomach.
He seemed to be very proud of it he informed us when he appeared in the dining saloon one evening "They made a cocked hat of it"

Graham the pipe
18th October 2013, 07:10
woodend woodend

Captain Nelson Taylor, Sailed happily with him on the "Cambray" approx 53-54.
Did he show you his scar (Hernia I think) on his stomach.
He seemed to be very proud of it he informed us when he appeared in the dining saloon one evening "They made a cocked hat of it"

Nelson Taylor, now there's an unforgettable name from my past, from September to December '57 to be precise and also on the Cambray. We were hove to in the Bay during hurricane Carrie and afterwards he asked me if I'd been sick. When I replied in the negative, he advised me he had and I never would be however long I stayed at sea. He was right! You may remember Carrie? The Pamir went down in her with the loss of about 80 lives.

franciscojosewaring
23rd October 2013, 21:09
Falaba a fine vessel, I was Chief Officer from 8/12/71 to 7/10/74 all on the London Express Service, guaranteed berth in Lagos whilst ships lay outside for months, John Higgins was the Bosun, he eventually left to join Binies in Lagos, ships stevedores, working with Alf Jones another ED bosun, to the best of my knowledge he is still there working as a cargo loading superintendent. I was there when Timmo retired, I eventually transferred to the new Sherbro to take over the London Express with the new vessels built in Poland Sherbro, Shonga both excellent ships or the trade, we should have had them years ago RGds Frank

Graham the pipe
24th October 2013, 08:15
Falaba a fine vessel, I was Chief Officer from 8/12/71 to 7/10/74 all on the London Express Service, guaranteed berth in Lagos whilst ships lay outside for months, John Higgins was the Bosun, he eventually left to join Binies in Lagos, ships stevedores, working with Alf Jones another ED bosun, to the best of my knowledge he is still there working as a cargo loading superintendent. I was there when Timmo retired, I eventually transferred to the new Sherbro to take over the London Express with the new vessels built in Poland Sherbro, Shonga both excellent ships or the trade, we should have had them years ago RGds Frank

Hi 'Stranger' {To SN that is!} Was 'talking' to someone who knew you and he said 'What was Frank Waring'? I replied that you were C/O, to my 2/O, on the Donga when I sailed with you in '66. His reply was 'Ok, fine, I was simply enquiring if he was wearing his Lederhosen when you saw him conduct the band at the Zillertal'.

lakercapt
24th October 2013, 20:49
Was on a Palm line ship tied up at Apappa just ahead of the berth used by the ED mail boats.
This day there were all sorts of flags and bunting strung out for the arrival of Calabar.
A strong contingent of Nigerian forces marched up with a military band to the fore.
They waited for ages in the tropical heat until the ship secured and the crowds that had gather started to shout "ZIK"
Think he was one of the many political figures that the British had imprisoned in exile and was now coming home to a hero's welcome.
Down the gangway in his colourful robes he walked and the crowd went wild.
I believe he was assassinated some time later!

Graham the pipe
24th October 2013, 21:17
Don't suppose you can remember the month and year of tis occurrence? Did two trips on her in '58 whilst serving my time with EDs. Thought you might be 'interested' to see the 'popularity' of the ZIK you mention. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=zik+of+africa&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=q35pUvuBOa-z0QXDm4FA&ved=0CDcQsAQ&biw=1518&bih=691

Rogerfrench
25th October 2013, 13:34
Was on a Palm line ship tied up at Apappa just ahead of the berth used by the ED mail boats.
This day there were all sorts of flags and bunting strung out for the arrival of Calabar.
A strong contingent of Nigerian forces marched up with a military band to the fore.
They waited for ages in the tropical heat until the ship secured and the crowds that had gather started to shout "ZIK"
Think he was one of the many political figures that the British had imprisoned in exile and was now coming home to a hero's welcome.
Down the gangway in his colourful robes he walked and the crowd went wild.
I believe he was assassinated some time later!

He wasn't imprisoned in exile.

He wasn't assassinated.

He travelled to England on the Apapa, in 1961 I think, but I'm away from home and can't be certain. I do have photos of the guard of honour lined up on Apapa quay though. I was a Cadet on the Apapa then.

lakercapt
25th October 2013, 17:51

He wasn't assassinated.

He travelled to England on the Apapa, in 1961 I think, but I'm away from home and can't be certain. I do have photos of the guard of honour lined up on Apapa quay though. I was a Cadet on the Apapa then.

I bow to your greater knowledge as it was a long time ago and my memory is not all that good at times.

Rogerfrench
25th October 2013, 18:27
I bow to your greater knowledge as it was a long time ago and my memory is not all that good at times.

I can relate to that!

Graham the pipe
25th October 2013, 18:57

He wasn't assassinated.

Hi Roger. Is this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Governors-General_of_Nigeria who we are discussing?

Rogerfrench
26th October 2013, 16:56
Hi Roger. Is this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Governors-General_of_Nigeria who we are discussing?

Yes, the last in the list.

Graham the pipe
26th October 2013, 17:13
Yes, the last in the list.

Thought it was. Well remember Tafawa's 'exit'. Was alongside, at Apapa, at the time and rumours were flying in all directions about his disappearance. They included one that he had been 'smuggled out' on a Black Star ship that sailed unexpectedly in the middle of the night and another that 'bits' of his dismembered body had been found on Tarkwa beach and the 18th hole of the European Golf course.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abubakar_Tafawa_Balewa

richardwakeley
27th October 2013, 04:37
G'day Frank,
Noted that you were Chief Off on Falaba, London Express service, in 1971/74. I had 'escaped' to the Blue Funnel at that time, but your name is so familiar to me. My brain cells seem to be rapidly dying off, but did we sail together? Maybe on Blue Sea Line. I was R/O-Purser there from 73 to 81.
Rgds, Richard