Captain W.B. Cairns

bdun41251
18th October 2013, 19:45
Does anybody remember Captain W.B. Cairns?
I had the pleasure!!! of sailing with W.B. twice in my career in 1970 and again in 1975. On the first occasion as a 2nd trip cadet on the Hemifusus and again on the Liparus some years later as a 1st trip 2nd Officer.
From what I recall his marine knowledge was above reproach however his personal leadership skills were most definitely “old Style” and the “human element” was a concept, most definitely foreign to him.
We the deck cadets had a most torrid time especially when we incurred his wrath for some relatively minor misdemeanour such as picking his binoculars or standing in front of his radar thus blocking his view. (To get thrown off the bridge was considered a bonus and a great story to tell in the bar that evening)
The 6/7 month trip was exceptional and the only time in 40 years that I have circumnavigated the world. From Europe (Rotterdam) via Cardiff dry dock and the Bute bar to the US southern sates and Curacao the Mad House. Through the Panama canal, across the Pacific to the Far East and the Cellar Bar, around the Cape and back to Europe (Rotterdam) A fairly hard working ship at times as we were carrying Lub Oils and without fail the dreaded draining of the dregs of water out of the cargo tank valves would occur at some time during the early hours of the morning. This always brought a wry smile to the Chief Officer, nick named the undertaker (Jebson)?
By the time I met up with WB again while standing by the Liparus in Odense, he had mellowed to some extent and although not quite ready to embrace the “human element” he was at least, slightly less aggressive with the log book.

andyp1
21st October 2013, 17:01
Never had the pleasure of WB, but I did have the experience of Mad MacDermott & Eileen during his last trip on Liparus in 81 !

There is a very active STUK group on Facebook - some real memories & photo's coming out

bdun41251
21st October 2013, 17:26
Never had the pleasure of WB, but I did have the experience of Mad MacDermott & Eileen during his last trip on Liparus in 81 !

There is a very active STUK group on Facebook - some real memories & photo's coming out

We sailed with Mad Mac in the late 70's, Eileen when she was "feeling well" was most considerate to the other wives and used the Capt. car to drive them around sightseeing when in port.

Also sailed with Trigger Magee on Amastra Mad Louis Dales on the Volvatella Dales and the bird man Capt. Chilman on the Lembulus.

Will have a look on Facebook Tks

Ken Wood
22nd October 2013, 23:06
Sailed with Trigger Magee on Vermetus about 1975. One could say an experience, but truthfully it was sad. He should have been pensioned off long before.