Mahsud on charter to Mitsui

Tony Selman
27th March 2006, 14:26
I have unearthed 3 slides of Mahsud when I was on her in 1969/70 on charter to Mitsui. The first two are quite obviously taken in the Panama Canal and the third is a view looking aft from the top of the radar mast. This will likely only be of interest of Radio Officers as it shows several of the whip aerials that Mahsud operated with. Whopping power on that ship with 1400 watt main transmitter but even then communication was sometimes difficult in the middle of the Pacific.

Ron Stringer
27th March 2006, 15:00
Two comments, Tony.
What was that suspended arrangement with the blocks all about?

and

Crossed the Pacific on a City boat during a round-the-world trip in '62/'63 but was never out of touch with Portisheadradio whenever we needed to contact them. That was with only 60 Watts of Oceanspan II transmitter and the ubiquitous Mercury/Electra receivers. We did have the benefit of tall masts between which were suspended wire antennas with long, near-vertical downleads, running clear of all superstructure/funnel metalwork. That, with the wonderful Area System meant that we never lusted for more power except when trying to raise small coast stations on MF in the tropics. It was suspected though that those communications difficulties arose because no one was listening and no amount of power would solve that problem.

Ron

Tony Selman
27th March 2006, 15:57
Ron, I have no idea what the suspended arrangement is. It is nothing to do with radio communications I am sure of that and can remember nothing about it's use. I think we need a deck officer to study and answer that as I presume it is something to do with the cranes and/or cargo handling.

By that time the area scheme had, of course, disappeared and even though Portishead had a special listening period for ships in the Pacific we were on occasion very hard pressed to get stuff through. When we struggled the one great advantage was the company GWZM skeds because we had no problem getting in touch with other ships (usually in the Atlantic) and they could forward the message/s for us. All the aerials, except the emergency which was wire, were whips on that ship and although I could never prove it technically I always felt that a mixture of wire and whips was best so you could mix and match as required. A good wire aerial erected well away from the superstructure took some beating.

japottinger
27th March 2006, 16:14
All the blocks and ouriggers were part of the Hallen mast/derrick rigging arrangement.
This, to me an awfully complicated rig, allowed the single centrally mounted derrick to swing outboard and plumb overside instead of two derricks rigged with a union purchase, in fact it acted as a derrick crane so to speak. She laso had electric cranes

Tony Selman
4th April 2006, 20:10
This was without doubt the best equipped Radio Room I ever sailed with in Brock's. Some pretty powerful kit in there. It was taken in late 1969. A singular move upwards from some of the kit on the Matra/Mahseer class that's for sure.

I am trying to find some more of radio rooms but oddly enough I don't think I took that many.

Willum
5th June 2014, 22:55
Nice to see the old GYMT radio room, I did 6 months on there in 1973
The classic brock's run marsellies / Red sea / India / Bangladesh / Durban / Dominical Republic / EU. Capt WHC Clifford Hicks.

Phil Williams

raymon
27th January 2018, 07:36
Hi Tony,

Were you the R/O on the Mahsud 1970 on charter to Mitsui when we flew from London to Tokyo. I think the 2R/o was Roger , Alan Atack was C/E Derek was2/E and Alan Woods was purser. Capt Margeson was the old man. I was 2nd steward
Nearly 50 years ago my brain is getting a bit slow!

Thanks
Ray Money

Tony Selman
27th January 2018, 11:04
Hi Ray, no I was there a little before you but not much. I joined in 1969 in New York. When I was there the Old Man was John Watson Ross, C/O was Terry Scarratt and 2/O Roger Newton. C/E was Alan Atack for at least some of the voyage, Elect was Don Macleod and he was relieved for familiarisation by Paul Georgeson who might have been there with you. PCS was Charlie ??, mind gone blank but old time Brocks man. Both the OM and Don had been on my first Brocks voyage in 1964 and were there for my last. Great ship.

bryanm
27th January 2018, 20:51
Was it Charlie Clarke

Tony Selman
27th January 2018, 23:10
Charlie Clarke, spot on. Well done. It infuriates when I cannot remember the names of people I sailed with for months.

Don A.Macleod
27th January 2018, 23:18
Was it Charlie Clarke

It was indeed Charlie Clarke , he was fatally injured in a road accident on the way into Liverpool not so long after that. A great shock to me as he was a very good friend.

Don A.Macleod
28th January 2018, 00:46
Ron, I have no idea what the suspended arrangement is. It is nothing to do with radio communications I am sure of that and can remember nothing about it's use. I think we need a deck officer to study and answer that as I presume it is something to do with the cranes and/or cargo handling.

By that time the area scheme had, of course, disappeared and even though Portishead had a special listening period for ships in the Pacific we were on occasion very hard pressed to get stuff through. When we struggled the one great advantage was the company GWZM skeds because we had no problem getting in touch with other ships (usually in the Atlantic) and they could forward the message/s for us. All the aerials, except the emergency which was wire, were whips on that ship and although I could never prove it technically I always felt that a mixture of wire and whips was best so you could mix and match as required. A good wire aerial erected well away from the superstructure took some beating.

Would this have anything to do with the TV ariel Tony. As I remember there was an 0/360 degree calibration unit below the for'd TV to adjust it's position in relation to where berthed from the TV station. Just a thought. Don.

raymon
28th January 2018, 07:59
Hi all,

The best part of going to Tokyo was the BOAC flight in those days. We stopped in Moscow for refuelling armed guards at the end of the steps to the building. Everyone laughing who would expect to have a beer in Moscow ( Communist in those days)
Said to airline crew why no whisky left she said we cater for "normal" people not seaman maybe they wanted to turn the tap off.
Alan Woods PCS managed to get me into the pilots cabin. I was sitting behind the Capt, 2nd to his right and C/E as well. Watched as we went over USSR to Japan. That would be impossible today!
Happy days
Ray Money

Tony Selman
28th January 2018, 09:47
Don, no that is much too big for the tv system. At this distance in time it looks very much like something to do cargo handling system and the blocks look big enough to be something to do with heavy lift. I hardly ever see Roger Newton these days as we live 250 miles apart but if I do I will ask him.

docgk
26th February 2018, 09:45
Hello Tony - Good to see you are still about. I haven't been on SN for 5 yrs+, but now I've been retired for 8 years and so have more time to reflect! I remember all those mentioned and the Mahsud in 69/70 as your 2R/O

Graham King

Tony Selman
26th February 2018, 12:06
Hi Graham

Glad to see you are about as well. Oddly enough I was talking about you in conversation to Brian Cotton the other day. Hope you are well. where are you retired? We are in Kent now.
Tony

Don A.Macleod
26th February 2018, 22:10
New Year greetings to you again Graham, albeit 48 years later!

I have a Mahsud lunch menu dated 1/1/70 with your signature on the back of it so it's nice to see a reminder of another "old" face!

I note Tony didn't sign it among all the rest! possibly! on watch maybe.
Regards Don.

Tony Selman
26th February 2018, 23:36
Hard at work as always Don!

docgk
27th February 2018, 20:51
Hello Tony and Don

I'm still in the same neck of the woods Tony, nr. Romsey HANTS. I still occasionally see Brian Cotton - the last time was just before Christmas at the Solent Univ ex-staff dinner... Is he still involved with thw ROA?

Don - Wow 48 years! I still remember your face very well ( as it was then ) - I expect I've changed a bit..eg. white hair ( still got some) a few wrinkles as well

Very best to you both.

Graham

Tony Selman
27th February 2018, 23:09
Hi Graham

I saw Don when I was up in Glasgow about 3 years ago and we had a few glasses of wine at his house and a long session of lamp swinging. Mahsud was my last trip in Brocks and I remember the trip very well.

Yes Brian is still involved with the ROA. I took over the Chairmanship from him 6 or 7 years ago and he was made lifetime President in recognition of all the work he had done for the ROA over the years.

Keep in touch and let's get together next time I am in the area.

Tony