Thanks for having me SN - I am researching for a Biography

GY Mariner
4th November 2013, 05:59
My Granddad, Sid Bensley, turns 100 on 24 January 2014. He was a Grimsby trawler man and also RNPS during the war on the Northern Gem and Northern Wave.
I have photos of him on the Bridge of the ST Bradman in 1956 when he sailed for Crampin, also he sailed for Northern and Ross groups over the years.
He was indentured in 1932.
I am researching for his Biography so that at his party at the National Fishing Heritage Museum in Grimsby I can present a book on his life to him and my family.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gulpers
4th November 2013, 07:36
GY Mariner,

On behalf of the SN Moderators, a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey.
You will thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and, since you share common interests with many of our members, you will also undoubtedly be exchanging messages before long. (Thumb)

Pompeyfan
4th November 2013, 07:42
Also on behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard GY Mariner.

gkh151
4th November 2013, 07:48
Alistair,

Here are a couple of links that should be of interest,

http://www.trawlerphotos.co.uk/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=112129

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Crampin-cricketer-trawlers/story-19897073-detail/story.html

Let me know of any other ships that interest you and I will see what I can do.

Reagards.

Graham

billyboy
4th November 2013, 09:45
warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

gdynia
4th November 2013, 09:59
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

trotterdotpom
4th November 2013, 10:02
Welcome Alistair. I have forwarded your message on to my old friend Barney Warman who was a wheel in Ross's and who's Dad was a Skipper in the RNPS. Maybe he will know sommat. Congratulations to your Grandad.

John T

R58484956
4th November 2013, 16:58
Greetings Alistair and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

gkh151
4th November 2013, 18:24
Alistair,

I have discovered that your Granddad took command of the Northern Gem in January 1964.Below is a link to the ships history so it seems that he served on her during the war and later in life became her skipper. I would not think there are many men still alive who can say that about their career at sea.

https://sites.google.com/site/trevorhallifax/northerntrawlers

Regards,
Graham

gkh151
4th November 2013, 18:27
Alistair,

Belows link takes you to the history of the Northern Wave.

https://sites.google.com/site/trevorhallifax/northerntrawlers

Graham.

gkh151
4th November 2013, 18:49
Alistair,

More info for you. From the fishermens apprentice records.

Bensley Sidney 13/4/1931 entry number 208/1/13/189.

Would this be your Great Granddad,

Bensley Sidney Algernon. 14/2/1887 entry number 208/1/6/279.

Graham

Sister Eleff
5th November 2013, 00:21
Alistair,

More info for you. From the fishermens apprentice records.

Bensley Sidney 13/4/1931 entry number 208/1/13/189.

Would this be your Great Granddad,

Bensley Sidney Algernon. 14/2/1887 entry number 208/1/6/279.

Graham

I think this would be a bit early for the gentleman in question as he was born 24th Jan 1914 but it certainly could be his Father. It will be great when GY Mariner gets back on to confirm this or not.

By the way GY Mariner welcome to the site from NSW, this sounds like an interesting project for you and your family.

GY Mariner
5th November 2013, 06:29
I think this would be a bit early for the gentleman in question as he was born 24th Jan 1914 but it certainly could be his Father. It will be great when GY Mariner gets back on to confirm this or not.

By the way GY Mariner welcome to the site from NSW, this sounds like an interesting project for you and your family.

Thanks Guys - i already have that information about his indenture and there are no links to the older gent as far as we know.

this is a very interesting project for me, My Granddad was involved in a peace time rescue in the Artic circle off Bear Island whilst sailing in the Elf King, they rescued the sailors of the Owl as she ran aground. my grandad was in his first few months at sea - what a story.

gkh151
5th November 2013, 11:26
Alistair do you want any info on the elf king also I have found history of the two submarines mentioned in the northern gems history.

Graham

GY Mariner
5th November 2013, 20:21
Welcome Alistair. I have forwarded your message on to my old friend Barney Warman who was a wheel in Ross's and who's Dad was a Skipper in the RNPS. Maybe he will know sommat. Congratulations to your Grandad.

John T

Many Thanks John - you never know!!

GY Mariner
5th November 2013, 20:26
Alistair do you want any info on the elf king also I have found history of the two submarines mentioned in the northern gems history.

Graham

Hi Graham - at this stage any help is useful as I compile the history. At the moment apart from a few photos I have found on other forums and resources SN has given me my best hope of doing something really nice for the Old Man of the Sea!

I am returning to the UK in December January to attend his party so ideally I want to get this done by the time I get there - but if I have to travel to places like archives in Kew and Imperial War museum etc then I will.

Cheers and thanks All on SN for helping and being so welcoming.
Alistair

GY Mariner
17th November 2014, 18:31
My grandad is now approaching 101 but sadly he may not make it as he is suffering aspiratory pneumonia and he is not getting better. I am now in possesion of all of his trawler history and when I say all I am quite sure but still piecing it together at present. I also have his war record and the reason for his 'Mention in Despatches'

Any help on crew lists etc would be a help.

Any ideas what woud be best to do with his records - I am thinking of loaning them to the Natioanl fishing Heritage centre in Grimsby?

Cheers
Alistair

rickles23
18th November 2014, 07:02
Hi Mariner,

I have nothing to assist you in your research.

However, with your permission, I would like to copy the photograph and do some slight repairs to it.

Regards

GY Mariner
18th November 2014, 09:11
Thanks Rickles
Any help with photos would be good.

rickles23
19th November 2014, 06:29
Hi Mariner,

Could you PM me your email address please?

Regards

jmcg
19th November 2014, 08:08
My goodness - what a story and indeed a venture in to the history of this great old man.

With every best wish for your progressing research and I sincerely hope it it will be a great tonic for this remarkable man.

BW

J(Gleam)(Gleam)