ED 'Bays'. This one on 'E' but NOT the 'Fourah'.

Graham the pipe
5th November 2013, 19:11
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELDER-DEMPSTER-LINE-RARE-FLAG-AND-FUNNEL-CARD-c1906-/111184731944

Roger Turner
5th November 2013, 19:43
Just occurs to me - is there an official ED archive anywhere, what I mean is internal matters, such as minutes of pre-sailing and end of voyage Master`s meetings.Crew lists of various ships and voyages, personal reports?.

I only have vague memories of all who I sailed with 1953/62, but access to names brings forth memories and the occasional funny (maybe funny only to me at the time)

For instance I remember one end of voyage meeting

India Buildings approx 22nd Sept 1960 m.v. "Oti"

In the chair M.Bruce Glazier.

MBG "Now Captain you appear to have had an awful amount of bad weather this voyage - to what do you attribute it?"

Bertie Bryan - "The Labour Government"
(Bertie always was quick off the mark)

When we came out of the meeting Bertie said to me "that`s my promotion gone - somebody`s just told me MBG is standing in some election for the Labour Party"

Graham the pipe
5th November 2013, 19:57
Just occurs to me - is there an official ED archive anywhere, what I mean is internal matters, such as minutes of pre-sailing and end of voyage Master`s meetings.Crew lists of various ships and voyages, personal reports?.

I only have vague memories of all who I sailed with 1953/62, but access to names brings forth memories and the occasional funny (maybe funny only to me at the time)

For instance I remember one end of voyage meeting

India Buildings approx 22nd Sept 1960 m.v. "Oti"

In the chair M.Bruce Glazier.

MBG "Now Captain you appear to have had an awful amount of bad weather this voyage - to what do you attribute it?"

Bertie Bryan - "The Labour Government"
(Bertie always was quick off the mark)

When we came out of the meeting Bertie said to me "that`s my promotion gone - somebody`s just told me MBG is standing in some election for the Labour Party"

Hi Roger. You say that "names recall memories". I would say that Mike Ingham's site www.elderdempster.org is the nearest you will get to a 'record' of ED's past. Sadly the demise appears to have been a complete erasure of even the most basic records such as crew lists. Like the story about Bertie and MBG. There are several about Julian Holt but NOT for repetition here, even though it is a nautical site.