Ships that pass in the night

Roger Turner
6th November 2013, 20:31
I`ll admit it - my memory is pretty useless for important matters, but there is a load of dunnage drifting around on the surface, generally names of people I sailed with years ago, maybe just for one or two trips - may even have been bosom pals for the time on board - but come docking they`re gone.

I wonder what happened to them?

Seeing as I started the thread, I`ll chuck in a few names and anecdotes (harmless) I hope.

Paddy Vaughan 2nd mate Cambray 53/54 he was ,or I was his double, uncanny really, it was like looking in a mirror, anyway C/E Johnnie Saunders? insisted on giving me the daily fuel figures - what he thought I could do with them god only knows.

Alan Maxwell 3rd Mate Maybe Salaga 57/58 relieved in NY to go home for wedding, heard he didn`t get married, lived in Green Rd.Paisley (?) a devoted fan of Wagner and Trios los Paraguyos - believe it or not I bought their tape - still got it.

Ramon Navarro 2nd Mate - most charming mad man I ever met - I think he told us his father was Harbour Master Trinidad?.

Jack Bentley Mate and I think I was with him his first command Hull to London. When we were on the Cambray, at Calabar, police were on board looking for source of copper tubing - too many stills springing up apparently. 3rd Engineer was suspect and he let me into the secret one night in my cabin - redundant boiler tubes. Anyway Jack told me the old man knows who did it. How I asked him. "Oh he listens at the ventilators above the main deck cabins."Anyway we sailed from Calabar with all hands.**

One final thought, there were a lot of musical evenings - when we all had a singsong often when somebody had a guitar, but the best recital of the lot, can`t remember which ship, but I think it was a "C" boat, was the Chief Engineer who played the "Air Cello", apparently his favourite tune went something like "If those eyes could only speak and those lips could only talk etc." He was a very aged gentleman called Gresham, I think, long since retired from Lake Victoria steamers (?), but EDs were short of steam C/Es at the time.

Eddie Britto Apprentice or 3/O - I think he was with Paddy`s originally, used to tell me about the "Captain Hobson" (Immigrant ship ?)
Another final - remember going to a party At the Robin Hood pub, Chetham Hill Road, Manchester, with I think it was the third mate I sailed with Eddie? Estill? - took an Irish girl from the Catholic Mission in Liverpool, a place if you turn left at the end of lime street and go up the hill, they held dances there on a Sunday Night

** I do know Jack has sadly crossed the bar read it in EofE and his autobiography in the Purser`s mag.Also sorry to see the passing of Freddie Griff in the latest EofE, always thought if Richard Wattis hadn`t got the part in Doctor at Sea - Freddie would have been ideal.

Graham the pipe
7th November 2013, 08:16
Top of an overcast, damp and dreary, 'Suvern' UK morning to you, Roger and thanks for bringing a ray of sunshine to this, the Es of Es section of SN.

Forgive me for not knowing if you are a regular contributor to DB's newsletter but - in you're not - then strongly suggest you sent your memories, as of this thread, to him. Names from the past trigger many things. Here's an example from YOUR names. Ramon Navaro was second mate on the Cambray on my first voyage in '57. He stitched my middle, right hand finger 'back on' after it was severed. That, in itself, is a somewhat long {NOT tall} story which I won't elaborate on here. Other 'names' from that voyage viz. Captain Nelson Taylor, Mate 'Buster' Brown, fellow deck cadet Dave Menary.

Let's hope your thread bears fruit and ceases to be 'Fred Bare'!

Roger Turner
18th January 2014, 15:31
Graham,
Sorry for the delay, forgot to answer your reply to my original diatribe, see events and some conversations have moved on since then.
Wonderful story of Ramon Navarro -more genius than I ever knew.Did you regain full use of the finger?
Is DB`s newsletter supplementary to E of E?.
Where did I hear somebody wants me for a sunbeam before?

Graham the pipe
18th January 2014, 16:56
Hi Roger,

No problem - in respect of 'the delay' - that is. Yes, Ramon was a great guy. One day I'll get around to 'copying' all my black and white photos that I took, in those bygone days, with my 'Box Brownie'. I know I have at least one of him in a group photo complete with fez, dark sunglasses, just shorts - no shirt - and looking the spitting image of King Farouk.

In answer to your question, on the finger, lost full usage as of the 'incident' but incredibly still 'have it', although God knows how, because there was no 'internal' stitching in respect of veins, muscles or whatever is there to 'make it work'!

No, Elders of Elders IS Derek Bailey's Newsletter. It is very much his 'baby' and without him it simply would not exist. We all (Es of Es) have a lot to thank him for because I can't see anyone else even attempting the task, never mind doing such an excellent and professional job, from start to finish, in respect of its production and global distribution. The same can be said for Mike Ingham's elderdempster.org suggest you google if you are not familiar.

Tell 'Im upstairs that he'll need to do without your assistance on the 'Sunbeam' front for 'many years yet'! You could always suggest he uses your sidekick 'Talbot' in the meantime.

Cheers, for now.

G

PS Check the icon that replaced the 'duplicated' sailing ship one on the Maritime Art section of this site. Look at the ship featured.

Roger Turner
19th January 2014, 23:14
Graham,Thanks for your PS,Maritime Art section - never seen that heading before, the penny has just dropped, I saw your picture featured.

I looked at Mike Ingham`s site, it doesn`t really invite chat does it?
Some of my love for Elders will have to remain unrequited.Actually I have always felt a little embarassed about returning to the fold - felt I should have thrown my hat in first -rats leaving a sinking ship and all that!

But isn`t nostalgia a wonderful thing We traded under the name of" Pure Nostalgia" Actually though -I find it difficult to shake off West Africa completely and have read a fair few books about it and find loads of references to Elder Dempsters, which in the words of Max Boyce "I was there" are helpful.

oldman 80
20th January 2014, 00:16
Hi Roger,

No problem - in respect of 'the delay' - that is. Yes, Ramon was a great guy. One day I'll get around to 'copying' all my black and white photos that I took, in those bygone days, with my 'Box Brownie'. I know I have at least one of him in a group photo complete with fez, dark sunglasses, just shorts - no shirt - and looking the spitting image of King Farouk.

In answer to your question, on the finger, lost full usage as of the 'incident' but incredibly still 'have it', although God knows how, because there was no 'internal' stitching in respect of veins, muscles or whatever is there to 'make it work'!

No, Elders of Elders IS Derek Bailey's Newsletter. It is very much his 'baby' and without him it simply would not exist. We all (Es of Es) have a lot to thank him for because I can't see anyone else even attempting the task, never mind doing such an excellent and professional job, from start to finish, in respect of its production and global distribution. The same can be said for Mike Ingham's elderdempster.org suggest you google if you are not familiar.

Tell 'Im upstairs that he'll need to do without your assistance on the 'Sunbeam' front for 'many years yet'! You could always suggest he uses your sidekick 'Talbot' in the meantime.

Cheers, for now.

G

PS Check the icon that replaced the 'duplicated' sailing ship one on the Maritime Art section of this site. Look at the ship featured.

You are indeed very lucky !!!!
I did the same thing once for a crew member.
It did not work though - unfortunately, - infection set in and subsequently the finger had to be amputated at the knuckle.
A big disappointment, but it was worth the try, I reckon.
(so far from medical assistance at the time - just "Medico Roma".)

Graham the pipe
22nd January 2014, 07:10
You are indeed very lucky !!!!
I did the same thing once for a crew member.
It did not work though - unfortunately, - infection set in and subsequently the finger had to be amputated at the knuckle.
A big disappointment, but it was worth the try, I reckon.
(so far from medical assistance at the time - just "Medico Roma".)
Yes, I was indeed a lucky man and - as it happens - twice. The first 'incident' was centre digit, right hand, at sea in '57 and the second left hand thumb in '87. The main difference was that the latter was 'replaced' in a UK hospital be it that it was a Sunday afternoon. The nerve surgeon who reconnected same 'thanked' me for ruining his Sunday lunch when he was 'called in' to do what turned out to be a 100% successful op.

oldman 80
22nd January 2014, 07:24
Yes, I was indeed a lucky man and - as it happens - twice. The first 'incident' was centre digit, right hand, at sea in '57 and the second left hand thumb in '87. The main difference was that the latter was 'replaced' in a UK hospital be it that it was a Sunday afternoon. The nerve surgeon who reconnected same 'thanked' me for ruining his Sunday lunch when he was 'called in' to do what turned out to be a 100% successful op.

My guy was less fortunate.
Eventually airlifted by chopper to Rio de Janeiro - when we got within helicopter range - probably 5 days after the event, or thereabouts.
What made it worse was he was a hell of a nice fella, (Phillippino GP 1 rating) but at least he rejoined the vessel later. Just one of those saddening events. You can try, indeed must try, but will not always be successful. Jack of all trades, - Master of none.

Roger Turner
28th January 2014, 21:00
Sorry to see the expulsion of Graham the Pipe for I believe offences on another thread, he had been trying hist damndest to kick some "chat" life back into EDs, so I hope others will stick around and reward us with real tales of life from/to and on the WA coast, it was the rear end of the Empire`s anatomy to some, but there was some fun and undoubted larger than life characters and experiences.
Now I could tell the tale of high jinks on the Sangara my first trip to sea if any one wants to hear it......................?

appbob
29th January 2014, 11:21
Yes please Roger. Bob