SS."Mill Hill" Counties Ship Management

Ken Shawcross
19th November 2013, 15:21
Hi ,
For old times sake I would like to contact 3 fellow Cadets (Jack,Johny and "Groany") who saild with me in SS "Mill Hill" for over 2 years ...1947 to 1949.
Ken S.

A.D.FROST
19th November 2013, 16:08
Just for the memory

trotterdotpom
19th November 2013, 16:56
Ken, you could try asking again at www.lof-news.co.uk
I think there may be a few ex Counties people lurking about. Good luck.

John T

Gulpers
19th November 2013, 18:30
Ken,

On behalf of the SN Moderators, a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey - we guarantee you will thoroughly enjoy the SN experience!
You will certainly spark many happy memories when you have a chance to explore our threads and, who knows, you may even re-establish contact with your old shipmates.
Good luck! (Thumb)

billyboy
19th November 2013, 21:52
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

Pompeyfan
20th November 2013, 07:27
Also on behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard Ken.

R58484956
20th November 2013, 09:41
Greetings Ken and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

Binnacle
20th November 2013, 10:08
Hi ,
For old times sake I would like to contact 3 fellow Cadets (Jack,Johny and "Groany") who saild with me in SS "Mill Hill" for over 2 years ...1947 to 1949.
Ken S.

After your time Ken, but the following year when her cargo shifted we picked up her crew and landed them in Adelaide. Captain Church ? I think was master, he transferred to tug Tancred. Sadly the mate was killed attempting to launch a lifeboat.

Michael Wardell
25th June 2015, 13:20
Hi ,
Ken S.
Do you remember the Chief Engineer's daughter? He was Rob Hultgren and she is Margaret - still my wife.

Barrie Youde
25th June 2015, 13:47

What a splendid picture!

Barrie Youde
25th June 2015, 13:57
I hope that this might be forgiven.

It is slightly off-thread but it was published by way of introduction to "The Marine Art of Kenneth D. Shoesmith", by my cousin Glyn Lloyd Evans.

Shoesmith, of course, was a former Royal Mail Lines Chief Officer who was commissioned to provide numerous advertising posters for that company.

I wonder who was the artist of the Mill Hill painting? I can read "JW" - but not the rest of his signature.

Thanks for the memory!

ODE TO THE MARINE ARTIST

Show me the scene after Millais! - Of boyhood, some decades ago!
When Liners were steaming from England, as Raleigh had sailed from the Hoe!

Show me the hoist of Blue Peter! - the New Zealand trade of Shaw Savill;
White Star, Blue Star, sailing often and far; let time and civility travel.
Show all of the grace of their schedules; and stately affairs. The Royal Mail.
The service which ran was the service of man, not a frolicsome holiday sail.
Show only the best of the Liners - the Merchantman serving in style,
With a funnel or two and some smoke at the flue: we haven’t seen that for a while.
Show all the finesse of the Liners:- Flag-etiquette. Crown-requisition.
No useless Medusa, the Armed Merchant Cruiser served well. She had no inhibition.
Show me the ships of my boyhood - indelibly scored in my mind!
Sea fever, perhaps, but for like-minded chaps your purpose is, please, to remind.
Show me the size of the fleet, Sir! The Signals. The Customs. The Laws.
May passenger-cargo observe no embargo and sail once again from our shores!

Show me why men go to sea, Sir, in peace. You have shown that you can.
By maritime trade is all history made. You honour the service of man.

BY

30th April 2009

Hamish Mackintosh
25th June 2015, 16:17
I may have this all wrong, but I was on the Ivybank around 1950 when the Mill Hill came into Port Lincoln, we had just finished discharging phosphate, and were moved off the jetty so she could be put alongside, she had one hell of a list, but I was not aware she had been abandoned, but as I said I may have the wrong ship?

Binnacle
25th June 2015, 19:50
Just for the memory

This is an earlier Mill Hill, the vessel referred to was a US built Liberty ship.

Hamish Mackintosh
26th June 2015, 01:08
This is an earlier Mill Hill, the vessel referred to was a US built Liberty ship.

Yes the one I refer to was a Sam