Brooklyn and a 'certain O boat'.

Graham the pipe
25th November 2013, 07:40
Just in case any Es of Es 'missed' one of Edgar's masterpieces on the SN gallery.

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=396638

woodend
25th November 2013, 08:43
Rather nice painting but where is the Cadet Ship insignia the (MAD)'skull and crossbones'

makko
25th November 2013, 14:23
What is the high discharge forward from? It caught my attention.......
Rgds.
Dave

Graham the pipe
25th November 2013, 15:29
What is the high discharge forward from? It caught my attention.......
Rgds.
Dave

Interesting that this question has 'resurfaced'. About 10 years ago when I commissioned Robert Lloyd's painting of her, which is on the SN Marine Art if you have not seen, the same query was raised. The general consensus of opinion, at that time, was that it was a chain locker or deck scupper. The Kroo toilet we 'remembered' as being on the port side. Also, with no Kroo boys aboard in NY it is highly unlikely it would be 'in use'.

Hope you've left a complimentary comment under the picture?

eldersuk
26th November 2013, 00:15
Maybe the o'board discharge was a relief valve for the deck service line, located in the bosun's store, for when there were no hydrants in use. Only a guess but I can't think of anything else.

By the way, I thought the painting magnificent.

Derek

norman.r
26th November 2013, 14:43
I have been thinking of that discharge as I could not work out what it could be from.
The explanation Derek has given would seem to be a logical explanation.
Norman

woodend
26th November 2013, 15:43
Thank you Eldersuk for that piece of information. I have been wracking my limited brain power trying to work out what this discharge could be. You have given a very logical explanation as I assume 'water on deck' has been requested and presently not being used anywhere on the system. Just shows 'you live and learn' as I never knew such an animal existed or I had completel forgotten.[=P]

Graham the pipe
26th November 2013, 16:33
Appreciate my fellow Es of Es 'observations' on Edgar's picture, however, NR you have not actually said whether or not you like the picture. Yes, the 'discharge' issue [VG or DDR] is a point of discussion but the actual painting is, surely, the prime issue for discussion and comment.

The reason I have 'picked up' on the 'like or dislike' point will be revealed shortly but - at this stage - I am simply curious to know how many fellow OOs consider our 'baby' has been suitably portrayed.

norman.r
26th November 2013, 17:57
I appreciate your point Graham. To me the painting gives a very atmospheric and interesting picture of a point in time which many of us recognize and brings about an element of nostalgia. It would find a place on my lounge wall any time.
Norman

China hand
26th November 2013, 18:26
I vote for Derek's idea for the discharge. Lovely painting, really hits the spot.

Graham the pipe
26th November 2013, 19:20
I appreciate your point Graham. To me the painting gives a very atmospheric and interesting picture of a point in time which many of us recognize and brings about an element of nostalgia. It would find a place on my lounge wall any time.
Norman

Hi Norm. Really appreciate your positive appreciation! The way you've phrased your response speaks volumes!

Rogerfrench
30th November 2013, 13:30
Lovely picture. I sailed on Onitsha, Obuasi's sister, and first saw Brooklyn on Ebani in 1959. So this has a double dose of nostalgia for me.

Somehow it seems so "right". Congratulations!

Roger Turner
1st December 2013, 17:14
Seeing as you`re soliciting GTP, will add my two pennoth.

Obuasi Brooklyn Bridge very nostalgic and atmospheric almost photographic in detail - loved it.

Seem to remember that was taken from somewhere near the position we were usually berthed - is that true? or am I havering?

eldersuk
2nd December 2013, 00:14
First visited Brooklyn as 2/E on the stately m.v. Mamfe, same berth as the painting.

While there the ER headman went seriously off his rocker, nothing to do with me, honest!

A male nurse was transferred from a BF ship in the vicinity to look after him.

His advice was not to antagonise him; so much so that he allowed him to switch off both steering motors, resulting in us doing 'doughnuts' under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge.

I don't know what happened to him as none of the West African countries, including his own, Nigeria, would allow him to land.

Derek

Graham the pipe
2nd December 2013, 07:43
Seeing as you`re soliciting GTP, will add my two pennoth.

Obuasi Brooklyn Bridge very nostalgic and atmospheric almost photographic in detail - loved it.

Seem to remember that was taken from somewhere near the position we were usually berthed - is that true? or am I havering?

Hi Roger. Glad we are all in unison in respect of our appreciation of Edgar's 'work of art'. Can't answer your question on 'havering', or should that read 'hoovering'? The person who WOULD be able to answer, if the latter applies, is our DB and as you can see from his 'codename', elder su(c)k, he beats as he sweeps as he................

Roger Turner
2nd December 2013, 19:43
Since you enquire GTP
Havering taken from an on line dictionary
verb
[no object]

1Scottish talk foolishly; babble:Tom havered on

2British act in a vacillating or indecisive manner: (as noun havering)she was exasperated by all this havering

noun
[mass noun] (also havers) Scottish

foolish talk; nonsense.

Origin:

early 18th century: of unknown origin

I married a Scottish girl and stayed (lived) there for 20 years, they speak a different language often much of which appears in my favourite author`s stories of Para Handy (Neil Monro/Hugh Foulis) in my opinion the greatest mariner who never sailed the seven seas.

I think our human vacuum cleaner posted the answer to my question - so I wasn`t "havering" after all!

Graham the pipe
2nd December 2013, 19:56
See you are 'live' on this thread as I type my reply to your 'educational gem'. One is never too old to learn new words so I'll advise my English wife "You havering". The English translation being "You have ring" meaning 'that thing' on your finger.

Graham the pipe
18th January 2014, 17:29
Hi, again, Roger!

I say 'again' because I have just 'replied' to you on your 'Ships that pass in the night' thread. I must be honest and say I'd totally forgotten we'd 'chatted', on this thread, about the 'O' painting, which I am delighted to say I now own! Am in the process of organising 21st century reproductions at the moment. Do I put you down for a copy? I hasten to add I'm not doing a selling and profit making exercise, simply - out of the goodness of my own heart - looking to get my money back on satisfying the numerous requests I've had for 'copies'. They won't be just 'copies' they'll be 100%, professionally produced 'clones' of the original so they won't be cheap, I'm afraid. Having said that, Norm Richardson's (Obuasi maiden voyage cadet in '53) comment, #9, I think, says it all and yes, his was the first positive 'order' before you ask!

Roger Turner
19th January 2014, 22:27
Good one Graham, that painting is indeed a wonderful memory and obviously very evocative for many of us.- capturing the moment!
Unfortunately (there`s a word) I am collecting old comrades rather than old masters at the moment and must turn down your kind offer