Hello

Astra82
25th November 2013, 22:58
My name is Bobby and I was born in Dec. 1938 in Fort-William Scotland.

My early memories of the second world war are centred around the Naval activities based at Corpach near the start of the Caledonian Canal (West end) There was large Naval base here plus a floating dock.
With the Commando training facility about 10 miles east of here and the special operations training facility about 25 miles west it was a very controlled area and movement was very restricted.
There was also a good number of captured German cargo ships anchored at the top end of Loch Eil (which contained ammunition)? I can only remember the name of one of them. If I remember correctly it was the Carlo. The ammunition was removed after the war and the ships towed away presumably to the scrapyard. I remember wondering if they would be able to pass through the narrows in front of where we lived, they seemed to fill the whole place.
I remember a naval ship by the name of the Flamburghead and further down Loch Linnhe there was a submarine depot ship if I remember correctly it was called the Empire Opossum, There was also plenty of motor torpedo boats which were serviced at the naval base and the floating dock.
As I was only six years old at the end of the war perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me and I appreciate the servicemen who were stationed here will now be in the late eighties, I would be like any corroboration of the facts as I remember them.

Thanks in anticipation

Pompeyfan
26th November 2013, 09:34
On behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard Bobby.

Thank you for your informative introduction. Hopefully, someone will be able to help confirm your observations. Good luck (Thumb)

R58484956
26th November 2013, 10:47
Greetings Bobby and welcome to SN. Your memory is not too bad. Bon voyage.

hawkey01
26th November 2013, 11:27
Astra82,

welcome to SN. Enjoy all we have to offer.

Interesting post.

Hawkey01

robert the bruce
26th November 2013, 13:26
Astra 82.
Welcome to SN ,Bobby. Great introduction. Empire Opossum, I have some old photographs somewhere, that I shall try to dig out. Maybe you might know. Was Empire Opossum a liberty ship? My brain is becoming a bit befuffled at 80 years.
Rob

Astra82
26th November 2013, 16:10
Hi Robert,
As far as I can remember and what I recall older people talking about when I was young they said it was a submarine depot ship. Hope this is of some value to you.
Thanks Bobby

Gulpers
26th November 2013, 19:44
Bobby,

Also on behalf of the SN Moderating team, thanks for your fascinating introduction and a warm welcome aboard.
You will thoroughly enjoy your time on SN and will also get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

billyboy
27th November 2013, 05:12
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer