Oriana next to Queen Mary last voyage

Martin O'Connor
5th December 2013, 00:56
Hi there. I was on the Oriana tied up next to the Queen Mary when she left on her last voyage in 1967. Where you there too? I was a young 1st class winger at the time. Just joined this site. Any old mates out there? Martin O'Connor.

Pompeyfan
5th December 2013, 08:08
On behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard Martin.

There was a reunion last month in Southampton for Oriana and other P&O and Princess ships. Hopefully, you will meet up with former shipmates (Thumb)

billyboy
5th December 2013, 10:01
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

hawkey01
5th December 2013, 11:03
Martin,

welcome to SN. Enjoy all we have to offer.

Hawkey01

Gulpers
5th December 2013, 18:57
Martin,

Yet again, on behalf of the SN Moderators, thanks for your introduction and a warm welcome aboard from Anglesey.
You will thoroughly enjoy your time on SN and will also get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

Martin O'Connor
5th December 2013, 21:00
On behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard Martin.

There was a reunion last month in Southampton for Oriana and other P&O and Princess ships. Hopefully, you will meet up with former shipmates (Thumb)

David.
Thanks for your welcome and reply. Excuse my ignorance but could you let me know who organises these reunions? It looks like you sailed on her shortly after me - a good old ship eh? I might try to make it to the next one if you can point me in the right direction.
One more thing - I'm a bit useless with computers and I keep getting a flashing box coming up saying I have 1 unread message, but I can't seem to open it. Any advice please?
Nice to see people indulging in a bit of nostalgia, suppose it comes with age!
Regards,
Martin

Pompeyfan
5th December 2013, 22:06
Martin

I will send you a Private Message with a couple of e-mail addresses.

Treborvfr
6th December 2013, 22:32
How strange, I am currently in Las Palmas. From my Hotel bedroom window I can see the Oriana in the port. When I got up this morning the Queen Mary 2 had arrived and was tied up on the other side of the jetty from the Oriana (I'm assuming it is the same Oriana from back then, the one I used to get stuck behind on the RT lists, she certainly looked dated alongside the QM2, but more stately ;) ). I was surprised to see the Oriana was still around!

Bob

Martin O'Connor
6th December 2013, 22:40
Yes. A bit spooky I suppose, but I was talking about the original Oriana and the old Queen Mary. Both now long out of service. Still a nice coincidence!

Treborvfr
6th December 2013, 22:46
Yes. A bit spooky I suppose, but I was talking about the original Oriana and the old Queen Mary. Both now long out of service. Still a nice coincidence!
:rolleyes:
Yes, I've just found out there was a second Oriana in a different thread, it shouldn't be allowed giving a ship the exact same name, it should be Oriana II, if only not to confuse people like me! :D
Mind you I should have realised, I know other companies re-use old names, BP, my old company, did for sure.

Bob

Pompeyfan
6th December 2013, 22:57
Bob

The Oriana you saw was lauched in 1994 making her maiden voyage in 1995. She is not the same Oriana that Martin is referring to. His Oriana was launched in 1959 making her maiden voyage in 1960.

Pompeyfan
6th December 2013, 23:50
:rolleyes:
Yes, I've just found out there was a second Oriana in a different thread, it shouldn't be allowed giving a ship the exact same name, it should be Oriana II, if only not to confuse people like me! :D
Mind you I should have realised, I know other companies re-use old names, BP, my old company, did for sure.

Bob

Bob

I agree entirely. I worked aboard the 1954 built Arcadia, but although she was the second P&O ship with that name, there was only one Arcadia in my book. Since then there has been two more, the latest Arcadia going into service in 2005.

canberra97
24th December 2014, 11:22
How strange, I am currently in Las Palmas. From my Hotel bedroom window I can see the Oriana in the port. When I got up this morning the Queen Mary 2 had arrived and was tied up on the other side of the jetty from the Oriana (I'm assuming it is the same Oriana from back then, the one I used to get stuck behind on the RT lists, she certainly looked dated alongside the QM2, but more stately ;) ). I was surprised to see the Oriana was still around!

Bob

I can not believe you got the 1995 built Oriana mixed up with the 1960 built Oriana!