Hello from the Yukon Territory

explorenorth
5th December 2013, 15:26
Just a quick note to introduce myself. My only service on board ships has been as a speaker on several cruise ships in Alaska and the Caribbean, but I have a life-long interest in West Coast shipping - British Columbia and Alaska specifically. Tugs, ferries, cargo ships or passenger liners, they and their operations along this wild coast fascinate me, and I look forward to chatting to some of you as opportunities present themselves.

R58484956
5th December 2013, 16:20
Greetings EN and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

charles henry
5th December 2013, 16:33
Just a quick note to introduce myself. My only service on board ships has been as a speaker on several cruise ships in Alaska and the Caribbean, but I have a life-long interest in West Coast shipping - British Columbia and Alaska specifically. Tugs, ferries, cargo ships or passenger liners, they and their operations along this wild coast fascinate me, and I look forward to chatting to some of you as opportunities present themselves.

Welcome aboard and I am sure you will enjoy the trip. Knew Whitehorse and your area well as I designed and was in charge of putting in the in the microwave system going north to the mine. That of course was a long time ago.
Good sailing
Chas

Gulpers
5th December 2013, 19:27
explorenorth,

Also on behalf of the SN Moderating team, thanks for your introduction and a warm welcome aboard.
You will thoroughly enjoy your time on SN and will also get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

Erimus
5th December 2013, 20:21
Hello and welcome..........

Couple of years ago was in Carcross (last week September) and asked in the store for an ice cream....sorry we are out as when your coaches leave today we shut for Winter....but if you would like to come back on April 16 next year we will have plenty!..........too long to wait so I had one in Skagway instead.

geoff

Pompeyfan
5th December 2013, 21:44
Again on behalf of the SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard explorenorth.

Interesting that you have been speaker on several cruise ships in Alaska. I worked aboard Arcadia(1954 build) when she was a full time cruise ship. We were the first P&O ship or indeed any cruise ship to visit Anchorage on 14th July 1973. Arcadia was also the first P&O ship, and indeed largest passenger liner to cruise to Alaska and Glacier Bay in 1970 as far as I am aware.

Ian6
5th December 2013, 21:47
Hi EN
My wife and I did an Alaska cruise in the educational ship 'Universe Explorer' back in 1998. She visited places like Wrangell, Sewell and Sitka in addition to the usual ports, had no dancing girls; but the largest library afloat.

Sadly SOLAS did for her before we were able to do her Winter route (Caribbean, Panama Canal, Mexico, California)

Our son lives in Vancouver so we are regular visitors to Canada.

Geoff's comment (#5) rings a bell, last year in Digby, NS, in September my wife ordered a glass of chardonnay at dinner to be told 'the season's ended, no chardonnay' until Spring' Our chowder was awful, basically warm milk with prawns floating in it. However elsewhere in the Maritimes, as in the rest of Canada we have eaten excellently.

Ian

R396040
5th December 2013, 22:20

Hi welcome aboard. My first trip to sea was from London to Vancouver & Victoria in 1947 with ports in the West Indies USA and S.America in between, The ship was the Loch Garth of Royal Mail Line and it was a regular cargo run with accomdation for twelve passengers/ That trip took about three months. Great trip for a youngster of sixteen. Did a couple of other trips on that route later on Durango and Drina also RML. Many years later visited a friend on Vancouver island at Victoria but that was after retirement. I spent thirt years at sea "seeing the world" as it were.
Stuart H

billyboy
6th December 2013, 01:53
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

charles henry
6th December 2013, 15:32
Hello and welcome..........

Couple of years ago was in Carcross (last week September) and asked in the store for an ice cream....sorry we are out as when your coaches leave today we shut for Winter....but if you would like to come back on April 16 next year we will have plenty!..........too long to wait so I had one in Skagway instead.

geoff

In Carcross was the OLD parrot still there, it had been brought there during the gold rush?

Chas

deldon
6th December 2013, 15:40
Nice to see someone from my part of the world here. Originally from the NWT, grew up on the south shore of Great Slave Lake, my father was a ships captain for the Federal Department of Fisheries (1947-1987) so I have a love for ships. I also served on a 690 ton tugboat on the Mackenzie River and Arctic Ocean for a couple of summers. Check out www.nauticapedia.ca for more Canadian content regarding marine life.

explorenorth
6th December 2013, 15:56
Thanks for all the welcomes. I'm excited to get a glimpse at just how many interesting stories there are in this group!

Charles, the old parrot at the Caribou Hotel in Carcross died many years ago, and is actually buried in the Carcross cemetery! Which mine did you build the communications, for?

hawkey01
6th December 2013, 16:04
Deldon,

on behalf of the Moderating team welcome to SN. We look forward to your input.

Hawkey01

charles henry
7th December 2013, 16:40
Thanks for all the welcomes. I'm excited to get a glimpse at just how many interesting stories there are in this group!

Charles, the old parrot at the Caribou Hotel in Carcross died many years ago, and is actually buried in the Carcross cemetery! Which mine did you build the communications, for?

For no particular reason I was hoping the parrot was still alive.

The system we put in was for the telephone company serving Whitehorse and the mine. (a cheap and nasty telephone outfit with headquarters in Toronto).
Our company manufactured microwave radio components and I joined it as the 14th employee when they were starting up in Dorval. I ran what we called EF & I (Engineer, Furnish and Install) with a marvelous bunch of people in my group. After all those years I still have contact with and visits from many of them.

What would life be without good memories
Chas