Hello and please help me find my father

Hanneke Bruinsma
6th December 2013, 14:57
Dear Orient line forum member,

My name is Hanneke Bruinsma, and I am 56 years old. Only recently I have heard from my mother that my biological father is a crew member of the s.s. Orion. Probably you know him.

I am very anxious to find him, and to learn if he is still alive, and if I have other relatives. The only information I have about him is the following:
• He was called Norman.
• He was one of a twin.
• He was part of the crew of the ship the s.s. Orion, of the Orient line, sailing from Australia to the U.K in the year 1956. He was most probably (bedroom-)steward (possibly purser) and he served at the first class of the ship. The day of departure from Hobart was 30 august 1956, the day of departure from Melbourne was 03 september 1956.
• He was about 24 years old then.

And it is possible that he has also been crew member on other Orient line ships before or after the period mentioned above. Perhaps on your ship during your trip!

I want to learn to know his full name !!

The first step for me was to try to get a copy of the List of crew. I have received the list from:
Maritime History Archive
Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John's, NL.

But there are hundreds of names of crew members. Between 400-500. And only initials and the surnames are mentioned in the lists; not the first name (Norman). So I need your help.
I know it's a long time ago, but many travelers, passengers or crew members, are still alive.

My questions to you are:
• Do you know a person which fits the information presented above?
• Do you have photographs of that tour?
• Do you have any information which can help me to find Norman, the person I am looking for?
• Are there other persons or companies you can advise me to send my questions to?

I would be very thankful if you can help me on my “quest”. Thank you very much in advance!

Hanneke Bruinsma
Born 30 May 1957
Netherlands

Gulpers
6th December 2013, 17:25
Hanneke,

On behalf of the SN Moderators, thanks for your introduction and a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey.
You will thoroughly enjoy your time on SN and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

I have moved your post into its own thread so other members will find it more easily. (==D)

Pompeyfan
6th December 2013, 19:22
Also on behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard Hanneke.

Hopefully, someone will be able to help with the information you are seeking regarding you father. As you would know, the Orient Line became part of P&O in 1961 its passenger operations renamed P&O-Orient Line. Orion made her final 'line voyage' in 1963 being scrapped the same year in Antwerp. Your father could have joined other company ships. Good luck with your search.

billyboy
6th December 2013, 23:36
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

R58484956
7th December 2013, 09:47
Greetings Hanneke and welcome to SN. Good luck with your search. Bon voyage.

Rawinia
14th September 2016, 08:50
Hi everyone, im here to his name is Maxwell Davies or Davyhopefully find my biological father who was a chef/cook on the union steam ship co...........his name is Maxwell Davies or Davy

R58484956
14th September 2016, 09:31
Greetings Rawinia and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.