Edward Stevinson

Ern
6th December 2013, 20:30
Hello
I'm the son of the late Captain Geoffrey G Cane. Making model (1/8 : ft).
Have few family pictures of ES and plans, building progress pictures of ES. And launch pictures.
I live in Teignmouth Devon England and would love more pictures to help with model and stories.

Gulpers
6th December 2013, 20:57
Ern,

On behalf of the SN Moderators, a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey.
You will thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and, since you share common interests with many of our members, you will also undoubtedly be exchanging messages before long. (Thumb)

Pompeyfan
6th December 2013, 21:26
Also on behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard Ern.

billyboy
6th December 2013, 23:36
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

veste
7th December 2013, 03:25
Hello Ern,
Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, I sailed with your father 1977/78 on the Edward Stevinson as 2nd Officer, posted a couple of pictures. Have pleasant memories of your father, he was a gentleman and a fine Captain.
Kindest Regards veste.

A.D.FROST
7th December 2013, 07:34
Hello
Have few family pictures of ES and plans, building progress pictures of ES. And launch pictures.
I live in Teignmouth Devon England and would love more pictures to help with model and stories.

try www.photoship.co.uk

R58484956
7th December 2013, 09:44
Greetings Ern and wlcome to SN. Bon voyage.

Gulpers
7th December 2013, 10:12
There are three photographs of Edward Stevinson in our own SN Gallery. (Thumb)

Ern
7th December 2013, 17:19
Thank u all for the warm welcome.just met up with Less Edgecumbe and shared a couple of pictures with him.
At the moment I have no computer (doing this by mobile phone) which makes this site difficult to navigate.

Ern
7th December 2013, 18:39
Thanks. A very warm welcome I have had from all

vasco
7th December 2013, 19:26
Hello

If your Father liked his tea very strong and stewed I sailed with him when he was Chief Mate on either the Cerinthus or Joya McCance. For no known reason one of the cadets nicknamed him Kinky Cane and that stuck. If he is not your Father my aplogies, I can still see myself filling a teapot half full of leaves and then water, a good 10, maybe 15 mins before he came on watch so it had chance to brew. He always came up barefoot and put his socks on in the Chart Room. He was well liked by all, one of the good ones.

Ern
8th December 2013, 01:58
That's probably him. Tea had to be strong enough to stand your teaspoon in. Not sure about barefootedness, wouldn't surprise me at all. At home it was overalls, slippers, pipe (st Bruno flake) and nappypins on the breast pocket (even when us kids had left home long ago) and attempted DIY ing. Wasn't keen on uniform. He was a chilled Dad and loved being'mein host', oh and a stupid laugh if something was really funny. Didn't know about kinky Cane, I get called that at work on occasion, figures.
Ern

vasco
8th December 2013, 18:39
That's probably him. Tea had to be strong enough to stand your teaspoon in. Not sure about barefootedness, wouldn't surprise me at all. At home it was overalls, slippers, pipe (st Bruno flake) and nappypins on the breast pocket (even when us kids had left home long ago) and attempted DIY ing. Wasn't keen on uniform. He was a chilled Dad and loved being'mein host', oh and a stupid laugh if something was really funny. Didn't know about kinky Cane, I get called that at work on occasion, figures.
Ern

Your description is spot on. Jerked my memory. It was bare feet with slippers, an aversion to uniform, and St Bruno's which my Dad also smoked. He was chilled in everything and good for us cadets. I keep on seeing Joya McCance when I think of him. If you have his discharge book you may be able to compare with my records in my profile. I am sorry he has gone, mind you I am 62 now and it was 40 years ago. Funny about the kinky thing, I tried Googling but got only what I expected. Thought it might be some historical phrase,such as dusty miller, chalky white.
john

Ern
8th December 2013, 19:43
Will ask mam re discharge book.
Kinky Cane was on HMS Conway aged 14/15 officers training.formerly HMS Duke of Wellington, could be totally wrong here. Denby Grange, Tenbury, Cerintus, Brandon Priory, Joys McCance, Kaylson(?), Edward Stevinson, Oreosa(?), Sargaso. These are all the ones I know of.

Ern
13th December 2013, 21:34
Hello Edward Stevinson ists. I've started uploading the SS Edward Stevinson's building photo's. 6at a 24hr period.
Ern.