Benarkle

Paul Barford
28th December 2013, 03:13
Derek Dunn's posting of the Benvannoch, reminded me of another old Ellerman boat, the "City of Poona" or from 1968 the Benarkle.
By the time I sailed on her she was about to go to Taiwan and remember many hours spent on a painters raft,in a windy KG dock in Hull, hand caulking leaking rivets from the starboard bunker tank before she loaded and they were submerged.
They were so corroded, had to use 'leckies compound to hold them in while caulking, then complete area covered with Thistlebond !! Can you imagine doing it now!!!(Thumb)

oldman 80
28th December 2013, 20:58
Derek Dunn's posting of the Benvannoch, reminded me of another old Ellerman boat, the "City of Poona" or from 1968 the Benarkle.
By the time I sailed on her she was about to go to Taiwan and remember many hours spent on a painters raft,in a windy KG dock in Hull, hand caulking leaking rivets from the starboard bunker tank before she loaded and they were submerged.
They were so corroded, had to use 'leckies compound to hold them in while caulking, then complete area covered with Thistlebond !! Can you imagine doing it now!!!(Thumb)

I sailed on her in 1969 - they weren't leaking then.
Well I would hope you would do something about it today, to tide you over until repairs can be made. Better than just" looking at it" and leaving it, which seems to happen a lot these days.
Repair facilities are just not available everywhere, in fact good ones may be a long way away.
In some places they may even be atrocious - (Repair facilities)
(Sad)

oldman 80
28th December 2013, 21:30
When I sailed on her in 1969, she was the only ship I served in which still retained a coal burning galley.
The officers accommodation was poor, by Ben Line standards.
The BenKitlan was another Ellerman ship taken over at the same time, but I can't remember if she was the same class as the ex City of Poona (Benarkle).
Photo of the Arkle attached.

forthbridge
28th December 2013, 22:25
I voyaged on her in 1968, I think it was her first voyage for Ben Line. At that time the officers had been moved in to what had been the passenger accommodation which was not very good except that had a bathroom shared between two cabins (bath no shower). Captain was LG Powell who had just come from Ellerman and Chief Engineer was Donald McVicar.
She had not been very well maintained.

Paul Barford
29th December 2013, 00:26
I sailed on her in 1969 - they weren't leaking then.
Well I would hope you would do something about it today, to tide you over until repairs can be made. Better than just" looking at it" and leaving it, which seems to happen a lot these days.
Repair facilities are just not available everywhere, in fact good ones may be a long way away.
In some places they may even be atrocious - (Repair facilities)
(Sad)

Hi oldman, I was talking March '74 and they were surely leaking then! These days, PSC would be aboard and arrest the ship before you could say painters raft! Legislation these days prevents many activities we could do back then. Currently, new legislation in the form of MLC (Maritime Labour Convention) would mean risking one of the crew reporting such problems, which they are entitled by law, to do.....no more loyalty I'm afraid, this is the "modern world"(Pint)

oldman 80
29th December 2013, 00:49
Hi oldman, I was talking March '74 and they were surely leaking then! These days, PSC would be aboard and arrest the ship before you could say painters raft! Legislation these days prevents many activities we could do back then. Currently, new legislation in the form of MLC (Maritime Labour Convention) would mean risking one of the crew reporting such problems, which they are entitled by law, to do.....no more loyalty I'm afraid, this is the "modern world"(Pint)

I can't see anything wrong with reporting the problem at all, indeed that should occur.
I can and do see a lot wrong with sitting on your backside just looking at it !!!!!!!
(Pint)

oldman 80
29th December 2013, 01:34
I voyaged on her in 1968, I think it was her first voyage for Ben Line. At that time the officers had been moved in to what had been the passenger accommodation which was not very good except that had a bathroom shared between two cabins (bath no shower). Captain was LG Powell who had just come from Ellerman and Chief Engineer was Donald McVicar.
She had not been very well maintained.

Ah well, that is as maybe, but what you should remember is that you are probably comparing maintenance standards with those that you were used to in The Ben Line of those days.
I doubt very much, if any shipping company at all, maintained its vessels as well as did the Ben Line. That is a fact.
Possible exceptions ? Well maybe Cunard with it's Queens, - other than that, - "Britannia" - perhaps. There again though, - I say only perhaps.
Ben Line Ships in those days were not just ships - they were yachts, and looked after in that fashion - as if they were.
(Pint)

Edit:- Powell was Master when I voyaged on her and McVicar may well have been Chief - I can't be sure though.

muldonaich
29th December 2013, 04:01
blue funnel kept their ships imaculate as well.kev.