Vw

notnila
1st January 2014, 02:00
Suddenly,without time to say goodbye,the forrard port side coil spring of my Golf,left the car in dry dock,and us in London where we had been spending Christmas with our daughter and family,Instead of taking us home to bring in Hogmany we are stuck in darkest Wimbledon!So Happy New Year to all Shipsnostalgiamates!!!

stein
1st January 2014, 05:15
I will not be able to attend the final obsequies, but I will offer my sincere condolences to you and your family, I hope the grief someday will take its rest. I would not have believed that a broken front spring should have been fatal to a prime model Rüsselsheimer, but I suppose this was but the final blow to your beloved Golf, may it now rest in eternal peace.

Dickyboy
1st January 2014, 05:53
That's bad news for you and the car, but it could have been worse, (Unless you don't get on with your in laws) You could have been half way up the MI, which I suspect would have made the breakdown and related costs very much more expensive.
I hope the rest of the year goes better for you. :)

Leratty
1st January 2014, 11:15
Dickyboy, quite so I had a universal joint go in a Morris 1100S on the Sydney Harbour Bridge at peak hour in the morning ): mortification & same at cost.

Cwatcher
1st January 2014, 11:43
"we are stuck in darkest Wimbledon!"
Nothing wrong with that! Take a walk on the Common & visit the Windmill for breakfast - interesting crowd there, especially on a Sunday. Visit the Lawn Tennis Courts museum & view Gorgeous Gussie's bloomers. Mingle with Wimbledon's Glitterati at San Lorenzo's while having dinner there. Or buy a Travelcard (4 Zone) & jump on the Tube & escape up to London.
Happy New Year from an ex Womble.

notnila
3rd January 2014, 20:52
Thank you for your commiserations.Got out of dry dock today at(I thought)the reasonable cost of £135.So now it's back to the Fleshpots of Methil,Kirkcaldy and Glencraig tomorrow!!!!!!

John Briggs
4th January 2014, 00:02
When you get home notnila, trade your VW in for a Toyata!

Coastie
4th January 2014, 09:50
Trade in your VW for ANYTHING!!! VW have never been the same since they stopped the Beetle.

Cwatcher
4th January 2014, 20:40
When you get home notnila, trade your VW in for a Toyata!

That's exactly what I've just done. For the last 5 years I've had a VW Eos 2.0 TDI which has behaved itself fairly well. However, it is an expensive car to run & anno domini is starting to catch up with it & there were signs that all was not well with the DSG gearbox so decided to change. Went for the Toyota Auris Hybrid Excel. No Road Tax, no London Congestion Charge, 5 year warranty. At the moment I'm getting about 50 mpg. Very happy with the car though will miss the collapsible roof in the summer.