Phil Everly

binliner
4th January 2014, 10:42
Phil Everly died yesterday.At a couple of their concerts in the 80s fantastic musicians and songwriters will be missed.

Robert Durrant
4th January 2014, 17:52
Cathy's Clown 1960,first record I bought.Been a fan ever since.A true music legend,RIP.

Coastie
4th January 2014, 18:21
He's dead??

Well! What am I gonna tell my Mama?
What am I gonna tell my Pa?
What am I gonna tell my friends.................?

Seriously though, the world would have been a much less fun place without him and his Brother.

R.I.P.

China hand
4th January 2014, 18:36
Yup, they were good. Harmony is good anywhere. But those two made a nice sound.

ben27
4th January 2014, 23:03
good day binliner,sm.yesterday,20:42.re:phil everly.great entertainer or entertainers with his brother,may he rest in peace,regards ben27

nick olass
4th January 2014, 23:20
Definitely a unique sound he an his brother created, very enjoyable too.

expats
5th January 2014, 09:36
a fantastic duo...the sound of the 50s....

vectiscol
5th January 2014, 12:28
In an article years ago the Everly Brothers stated that there was a simple secret to their unique harmony - one stood slightly further from the microphone than the other!

ALAN TYLER
5th January 2014, 15:13
The title to one of their songs was "So Sad".......... it is RIP Phil.

Coastie
6th January 2014, 01:31
In an article years ago the Everly Brothers stated that there was a simple secret to their unique harmony - one stood slightly further from the microphone than the other!

Thus creating a slight delay, hmm, very clever.

RayL
28th January 2014, 21:19
Don has said that the famous split in 1973 did not extend into their personal lives, only their professional partnership. [For those who don't know, Phil threw down his guitar and stormed off stage at one of their shows because Don had arrived drunk once too often]

Both were in the show business wilderness thereafter. Phil even teamed up with Cliff Richard at one point.

British guitarist Albert Lee is credited with persuading them to revive the act ten years later, and of course he provided the backing at the famous reunion concert at the Albert Hall in Sep 1983 - a marvellous occasion. I think they continued to perform until about 2009.

A nice aspect of their shows was the variation in their material. After a spell of heavy rock they would dismiss the band for a time and serenade the audience with quiet, charming songs under the heading 'Songs Our Daddy Taught Us'. These often had a mesmerising quality.

RayL
28th January 2014, 22:09
Just spotted that the old 'Arena' documentary is going to be re-shown on BBC4 in the evening of 7 Feb. This will then be followed by the above mentioned Reunion Concert.