Eusébio

expats
5th January 2014, 09:35
Eusébio, Portugal's footballing hero, dies at 71...

I remember 'Nobby' Styles tackling Eusebio in 1966...If a single one was below the knee it was by accident...Eusébio just carried on playing his wonderful game...

stein
16th January 2014, 04:52
Eusébio da Silva Ferreira, GCIH, GCM; 25 January 1942 – 5 January 2014) was a Mozambican-born Portuguese football forward. He is considered one of the greatest footballers of all time. During his professional career, he scored 733 goals in 745 matches.

He helped the Portuguese national team reach third place at the 1966 World Cup, being the top goalscorer of the tournament with nine goals (including four in one match against North Korea)[4] and received the Bronze Ball award. He won the Ballon d'Or award in 1965 and was runner-up in 1962 and 1966. He played for Benfica for 15 out of his 22 years as a footballer, thus being mainly associated with the Portuguese club, and is the team's all-time top scorer with 638 goals scored in 614 official games. There, he won eleven Primeira Liga titles, five Taça de Portugal titles, a European Cup (1961–62) and helped them reach three additional European Cup finals. He was the European Cup top scorer in 1965, 1966 and 1968. He also won the Bola de Prata (Primeira Liga top scorer award) a record seven times.

Eusébio died at his home on 5 January 2014 of heart failure. He was survived by his two daughters and several grandchildren.

Not many comments here. I don't think I ever saw him. But I remember your Nobby Stiles, minus front teeth and using every foul in the book, seemingly always enjoying himself. There have been a lot of mean types, my favourite was Soviet hockey defender Valeri Vasiliev who could scare the worst bullies in US and Canada into begging for peace, but he was big. Nobby was not, and that might have been one reason he got away with that much?

retfordmackem
16th January 2014, 10:35
Eusébio da Silva Ferreira, GCIH, GCM; 25 January 1942 – 5 January 2014) was a Mozambican-born Portuguese football forward. He is considered one of the greatest footballers of all time. During his professional career, he scored 733 goals in 745 matches.

He helped the Portuguese national team reach third place at the 1966 World Cup, being the top goalscorer of the tournament with nine goals (including four in one match against North Korea)[4] and received the Bronze Ball award. He won the Ballon d'Or award in 1965 and was runner-up in 1962 and 1966. He played for Benfica for 15 out of his 22 years as a footballer, thus being mainly associated with the Portuguese club, and is the team's all-time top scorer with 638 goals scored in 614 official games. There, he won eleven Primeira Liga titles, five Taça de Portugal titles, a European Cup (1961–62) and helped them reach three additional European Cup finals. He was the European Cup top scorer in 1965, 1966 and 1968. He also won the Bola de Prata (Primeira Liga top scorer award) a record seven times.

Eusébio died at his home on 5 January 2014 of heart failure. He was survived by his two daughters and several grandchildren.

Not many comments here. I don't think I ever saw him. But I remember your Nobby Stiles, minus front teeth and using every foul in the book, seemingly always enjoying himself. There have been a lot of mean types, my favourite was Soviet hockey defender Valeri Vasiliev who could scare the worst bullies in US and Canada into begging for peace, but he was big. Nobby was not, and that might have been one reason he got away with that much?

He was a gentleman to boot. he even congratulated a keeper once for saving a shot he made (Alex Stepney if i recall correct). He very rarely was booked or even spoken ,to even when he was hacked to bits .