John Farrugia

julie jones
5th January 2014, 11:19
Hi, I'm John's daughter and am looking for any information on his crew career.

He has has mentioned the Dominican monarch and a trip with Tony and the initials.

He joined the royal navy at 16 from malta and sailed until the late sixties.

He is celebrating his 80th year in april 2014 and would like to put a memory book together for his party.

Thanks in advance

Julie

R58484956
5th January 2014, 12:29
Greetings Julie and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

hawkey01
5th January 2014, 13:29
Julie,

welcome to SN. Good luck with your research. Possibly the ship should be Dominion Monarch.

Hawkey01

R396040
5th January 2014, 13:33
Hi, I'm John's daughter and am looking for any information on his crew career.

He has has mentioned the Dominican monarch and a trip with Tony and the initials.

He joined the royal navy at 16 from malta and sailed until the late sixties.

He is celebrating his 80th year in april 2014 and would like to put a memory book together for his party.

Thanks in advance

Julie

Julie, The Dominion Monarch was a passenger ship running from London Docks . In the 1950s she was on the 10 Pom run to Australia with Immigrants and used to go via Cape Town & Las Palmas. Im sure you will find a photo on other parts of Ships Nostalgia. She had quite a large crew.
I remember her well because I missed her in Cape Town after a trip ashore for a pint r two....... Hope you find more info for your Dad Stuart

julie jones
5th January 2014, 13:48
Thanks Stuart, dad was a steward on board. Over the years he has told us stories about his travels, such is youth we have not paid enough attention! He was at mine for dinner earlier this week and talked with such fondness about one of the journeys when they loaded a piano onboard that tony played, and he spoke about getting off in cape town... I think and they promoted him to manager for the night!!
How great is the internet? I think I have found the voyage he talked about, and this has led me to this site. At the time of that voyage he'd probably have been at sea for 10 years, so if anybody remembers dad and has any stories comments will be really appreciated by me, my mum and sister. I'll share the site with him after the party! Thanks again juliem

R396040
5th January 2014, 19:29
Thanks Stuart, dad was a steward on board. Over the years he has told us stories about his travels, such is youth we have not paid enough attention! He was at mine for dinner earlier this week and talked with such fondness about one of the journeys when they loaded a piano onboard that tony played, and he spoke about getting off in cape town... I think and they promoted him to manager for the night!!
How great is the internet? I think I have found the voyage he talked about, and this has led me to this site. At the time of that voyage he'd probably have been at sea for 10 years, so if anybody remembers dad and has any stories comments will be really appreciated by me, my mum and sister. I'll share the site with him after the party! Thanks again juliem

Julie,
I was also a steward i on the Dominion Monarch. I am a couple of years older than your Dad. I checked my discharge book and see I joined D M 23 June 1954 in Victoria Dcks London and it would have been a couple of weeks later when I missed the ship in CapeTown.
What other ships was Your dad on ? I used to go from company to company in those days to see the world,different runs countries etc, settled a bit later and was at sea thirty years. Maybe sailed with your Dad but big crews on the passenger ships and like me crews changed around.
Stuart:@

julie jones
5th January 2014, 19:44
Hi again, I know dad sailed on alot of ships, unfortunately I have not listened to his stories closely enough, I think he was sailing till 1969 or so, I will check with mum if she knows any names of ships, and definitely share the site with him in
april, dad spends alot of time surfing the net now! Thanks alot for your replies.

Pompeyfan
5th January 2014, 20:04
Also on behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard Julie.

Good luck with your search. If your father worked for Shaw Savill we have a forum here https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192 and thread for Dominion Monarch here https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=1233

Hopefully, you will find something that your father will remember. It would also be helpful if you knew the names of his other ships.

Gulpers
5th January 2014, 22:13
Julie,

Once again, on behalf of the SN Moderators, a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey!
You will thoroughly enjoy your time on SN and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

billyboy
5th January 2014, 23:32
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer