just saying Hi

Taplow 1917
7th January 2014, 04:33
I guess it will take a little while to understand all what this forum has to offer so please be patient with me. Im 76 years old,I live in Canada on Vancouver Island, originally I was born in Belfast NI.And am at present working on a family tree and hopefully you can guide me in one of my quests.
guess that will do for now,just want to say glad to be aboard.

Pompeyfan
7th January 2014, 07:37
On behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard Taplow 1917.

I was on Vancouver Island in 1973, when my ship Arcadia(1954 build)was there in drydock. Some of us flew home on leave taking the ferry to the mainland. You live in a wonderful part of the world (Thumb)

jg grant
7th January 2014, 08:43
Hello and welcome from New Zealand. Ronnie

hawkey01
7th January 2014, 10:36
Taplow 1917,

welcome to SN. Hope we will be able to help with your research. Enjoy all we have to offer.

Hawkey01

Taplow 1917
7th January 2014, 13:46
Thank you all for the warm welcome,David was the Arcadia built in Belfast,I think it was?

Sorry, it was the Arcadia's sister ship the Iberia that was built in Belfast keel was laid in 1952.

R58484956
7th January 2014, 15:03
Greetings Taplow and welcome to SN. Iberia built in Belfast where I stood by the building of her and subsequently sailed on her. Not a very succesful ship. Bon voyage

Gulpers
7th January 2014, 15:07
Taplow 1917,

Once again, on behalf of the SN Moderators, a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey!
You will thoroughly enjoy your time on SN and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

Pompeyfan
7th January 2014, 18:16
Thank you all for the warm welcome,David was the Arcadia built in Belfast,I think it was?

Sorry, it was the Arcadia's sister ship the Iberia that was built in Belfast keel was laid in 1952.

Taplow 1917

Arcadia was built at John Brown, Clydebank, herself and Iberia known as the White Sisters.

We were in drydock at Esquimalt, being the first P&O passenger ship to be drydocked there, and the first since Queen Elizabeth during World War 2.

billyboy
7th January 2014, 21:48
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

TOM ALEXANDER
8th January 2014, 07:41
Welcome from Nanaimo -- where you too, b'y? (For other readers that's Newfie speak -- kind of like Canadian Geordie!) (Thumb)

Taplow 1917
8th January 2014, 13:39
Hi Tom {Buoy o} Thats Newfie Irish. Im just over the hump.LOL P/A

Graham Wallace
8th January 2014, 16:28
Hi Tom {Buoy o} Thats Newfie Irish. Im just over the hump.LOL P/A

Hi Taplow,

Welcome from another Nanaimoite, I always enjoy Cherry Creek GC, usually play it in the Fall. I do not like 'the hump' especially in this season.

Graham

ps ,Hi Tom

Taplow 1917
8th January 2014, 19:05
Hi graham,I dont like the hump either,angel rock especially,I always seem to go a little bit faster to get it behind me.lol thanks for the welcome.Arnie

TOM ALEXANDER
9th January 2014, 08:02
Hi graham,I dont like the hump either,angel rock especially,I always seem to go a little bit faster to get it behind me.lol thanks for the welcome.Arnie

Not crazy about Angel Rock either -- especially when heading to Nanaimo from P/A in the motorhome. Involuntarily dick my head and wonder whether the semi drivers do the same?

Hi Graham. Have to try and get together again soon. Don't know about this retirement, though - don't know how I ever found time to go to work.

Taplow 1917
9th January 2014, 18:27
Hi tom and graham, We just moved here in 2005 from Ontario,Me and the wife were an avid River fishing pair back in Ontario,and on our visit to P/A felt we had found the perfect place,but alas have done very little fishing.seems every where we went we would always find bear tracks,IE bear pooh etc,even in our second year here one morning when there was a dusting of snow on the ground we found foot prints all around our house,thinking we had a prowler during the night I phoned the RCMP and when an officer arrived much to my embarrassment he said it was "only"a bear,and we live in the centre of town.LOL