Nikon D3200

Graham McMorine
30th January 2014, 11:42
Hi all, Have bought a s/h nikon D3200 camera which is only six month old, off a mate. Unfortunatly the handbook is mislaid so I am guessing a lot of things with it, most of which I have sused out
The question is can anyone tell me how I can take black & white pictures with it Have not got a clue how to do it.............help
regards Graham (Pint).

gkh151
30th January 2014, 13:31
Graham

Here is a link to the cameras user manual. Hope it helps.

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17792

Regards
Graham

John Rogers
30th January 2014, 14:21
You could go through the menus and find the type of images to want to take.
The owners manual is on the the CD,also go to Nikon support website and download the manual. I had the 3000 until a month ago and I gave it to my son,too much camera for me, I now have a Sony so much better to use.

makko
30th January 2014, 14:57
Graham,
Go into the menu on the camera. There is also help in the menu regarding options. I have a Nikon and have found it very easy to use and the settings intuitive. It was a very good buy!
Regards,
Dave

Pilot mac
30th January 2014, 16:53
Graham,
I also have a Nikon but not a D3200. I use Nikon software to edit (Pictureproject) and in this there is an option to display image either in colour, sepia or monochrome.

Hope that helps,

Dave

Graham McMorine
18th February 2014, 14:06
Hi Guys, Have found that one can take a photo normally, then go into menu where you will find a " retouch " section go into this and then click into "monocrome" this can then guide you to obtaining a black and white image of the picture without loosing the coloured picture. This could then be transferred to any picture gallary you wish to choose from your camera ,in the usual manner.
Regards to all & thanks for all the help & input...............Graham(Applause)

makko
18th February 2014, 14:57
Sounds like you are enjoying your camera, Graham!
Rgds.
Dave

sternchallis
14th February 2016, 12:19
Hi all, Have bought a s/h nikon D3200 camera which is only six month old, off a mate. Unfortunatly the handbook is mislaid so I am guessing a lot of things with it, most of which I have sused out
The question is can anyone tell me how I can take black & white pictures with it Have not got a clue how to do it.............help
regards Graham (Pint).

Graham, there is a very good book that explains all the functions of the D3100 (which is identical in software and controls to the D3200) called "Digital Field Guide" by J. Dennis Thomas, who is a photographer and writes book based on specific models, published by Wiley.
I have the D3100 and found the Nikon supplied and book and the cd and website with the two girls did not explain all the commands or the why's.
At 15 from WH Smiths it was money well spent.There may be a D3200 book also. Though from the 3100 and its upgrades there was very little difference, basicly they are all the same camera but with larger sensor.
Very easy to read with plenty of colour photos to explain the whys and the wherefores. There is just enough physics in it to allow you to get a grasp of what is going on without going too deep.
This is my first DSLR so it was a bit of a learning curve for me. I decided that I wasn't going to run it on Auto, but only on A,S or M and WB on manual as well.

There is a very good website with short tutorials by photographer called Mike Browne, lives in the Southampton area, that are free and are worth going through.
He uses Nikons but the more professional models. There are three levels of expertise to these tutorials on most of the groups.
Well worth looking him up. His website www.photographycourses.biz Over 200 free non jargon tutorials.

the brit
14th February 2016, 20:16
regards Graham (Pint).

Graham try this link to Nikon website and download the owners manual from there maybe of help to you, I have the Nikon D5500 bloody lovely.

http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/products/20/D3200.html

sternchallis
14th February 2016, 21:27
Just checked up on Wiley's website and a book has been written in the " Digital Field Guide" series for the D3200 and there is a book in the "Dummies " series for the D5500. Any of these books will be better than anything downloaded from Nikon. Nikon may tell you what the buttons are are for ie VR switch, but will not go into the detail you want when you would use that function and its affects on an image. There are times when the VR should be switched off.

These books recommended are very good as they are written by a practising photographer not some geek in an office. They help you understand what your camera is doing and how to get the best out of it. If you want to point and shoot on auto you wouldn't have bought a DSLR.
Like how do you take photos of car lights stretching all the way down the road?

Frank P
14th February 2016, 21:58
Graham asked the question over two years ago, 14.01.2014.... and the last post was 18.02.2014