Derrymore 1905-1917

Bilbobaggins
18th February 2014, 22:46
Hi All,
Bill's the name.
Looking for typical photo of steam cargo ship, 503 grt. Ailsa shipyard Troon.
My Grandfather, William Nelson was crew on the Derrymore when she was intercepted by UC 65 on 02/05/17.
He was negotiating with Otto Steinbrinck on the bridge of the sub as the commander gave the order to sink her.
No souls lost and the Derrymore crew lived to tell the tale.
Would love access to a typical photo of Derrymore or sister ship.
Revisiting my grandfather's memoirs currently and would love to share his sea-faring adventures with a wider appreciative audience.
Rgds
Bill.

Pompeyfan
18th February 2014, 23:38
On behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard Bill.

Is this the vessel you are looking for? https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/data/517/medium/DERRYMORE-1905_01x1_Tralee.jpg

GALTRA
18th February 2014, 23:47
Bill as David has posted I have searched for some years for a photo of her and this is the only one to turn up, Charley. ==== https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/307326/title/derrymore/cat/517

gdynia
19th February 2014, 01:33
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

oilkinger
19th February 2014, 05:20
I imagine the shipbuilders, Ailsa Shipyard / Troon, would take photographs of all the new ships they build.
This company's archives are now maintained by the University of Glasgow Archives Services. You might get lucky and find they have a Derrymore pic in their records.

R58484956
19th February 2014, 10:25
Greetings Bill and welcome to SN.Bon voyage.

Bilbobaggins
19th February 2014, 16:14
Thanks a million boys and girls.
Great stuff.
Must have been sad for my granda seeing his ship sink without trace before his eyes, from the deck of UC65. But it could have been a lot worse.
Has anyone any idea where I can find the Derrymore crew manifest for that fateful day? (02/05/17)
As my grandfather spoke to Kapitánleutnant Otto Steinbrinck on the bridge of UC65 and presumably both agreed on a 'solution' of sorts I would like to source photos of the the Type UCII coastal minelayers class built by Blohm & Voss, Hamburg (x 9 built in 1916). All I have is a graphic drawing.
Slainté
Bill

billyboy
19th February 2014, 22:19
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer