Hello from a first tripper

G Eyre
24th February 2014, 00:35
Think I may have stuffed up on the first hello post so here goes again, I have been at sea for around 15 years before swallowing the anchor and finally coming shore, Spent time as a Leccy with Shaw Savill (Now that's an age giveaway) then Union Steamship Co, Nauru Pacific Line, Tasman Express line and finally Gearbulk. Finally retired at 73 from OH&S in Hard Rock Mining after major surgery for the big C, so hello to anyone unfortunate enough to remember me from the bad old days and maybe you will find my future posts interesting.

bob nightingale
24th February 2014, 01:26
Hiya G,
Enjoy.
Bob.

billyboy
24th February 2014, 01:59
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer. (plenty of lecccy's aboard)

Gulpers
24th February 2014, 06:46
G Eyre,

On behalf of the SN Moderators, a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey - we guarantee you will thoroughly enjoy the SN experience!
You will certainly spark many happy memories when you have a chance to explore our threads and, who knows, you may even re-establish contact with old shipmates.
Good luck! (Thumb)

Pompeyfan
24th February 2014, 07:29
Also on behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard GEyre.

richardwakeley
24th February 2014, 10:48
G'day G Eyre,

Welcome to Ships Nosalgia from another ex Gearbulk lecky.

Best regards,
Richard

hawkey01
24th February 2014, 12:54
G Eyre,

Welcome to SN.

Yohanson,

welcome to SN.

Hope you both enjoy all we have to offer.

Hawkey01

R58484956
24th February 2014, 16:18
Greetings G and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

G Eyre
24th February 2014, 23:44
G'day G Eyre,

Welcome to Ships Nosalgia from another ex Gearbulk lecky.

Best regards,
Richard

Hi Richard, Thanks for the welcome, hope you don't mind but I checked your profile and noticed you sailed on the gantry ships with Jardines. I had two acquaintances who sailed with them about the times you were there, one was Dave Jenkins who transferred to Gearbulk (NZ) Ltd and sailed opposite me on the Cormorant Arrow - he came to us with an awesome reputation as the top leccy in the big J and assumed that position on the Cormorant. The other guys name was Andy Duncan who sailed on the Malahat as Leccy, I still stay in regular contact with Andy as we have been mates for close on to 40 years now. My gantry ships were Toki Arrow, Cormorant Arrow, Borrenmill and Princefield. The usual story with voyages some good some bad and some horrific especially on the older ships. I have recently found out that Gearbulk have made all European seagoing personnel redundant and are crewing 100% with Filipino's. Apparently they are opening up training institutions so hopefully they will sort out the wheat from the chaff and avoid some of the disasters that occurred during my time with them.
Stay safe and happy
Regards
Graham

richardwakeley
26th February 2014, 02:38
Hello Graham,
I thought you must have been on the Cormorant! I know the name Dave Jenkins well, but don't think I met him unless he's the guy who went to Vancouver and started a business repairing cranes. As for me, I joined Jardines in 1983 as R/O, on Malahat, but by 1984 they were using us to assist the lecky, with the title 'REO'. So after a while doing this, mainly on Falcon and Osprey, I made the transition to Electrician. So I don't suppose anyone in Jardines has ever accused me of being a 'top lecky'. Jardines lost the Gearbulk contract in the 90s, and I finished up my seagoing career with them on Candian Transport Co. gantry crane ships. These were the ex Beltimber etc. The Tsuji cranes were a pain after working on those Gearbulk Mitsui jobs. Now when I'm working on radar etc. on the bridge of a ship with gantry cranes, I never look out the window.
All the best,
Richard