the good? old days in Antwerp

G Eyre
25th February 2014, 02:53
Does anyone remember frequenting Maria's bar in Antwerp in the early 60,s? I think it was called Cafe Ringo, the walls and ceiling were painted a matt dark colour (Maroon?) from memory and you could ask for a piece of chalk from the bar and write your name and ship on the walls / ceiling (If you could find the space). Maria herself was still on the young side of middle age and strikingly attractive, single with a daughter in her late teens / early twenties, I think most of us would have stuck our E/R boots under her table anytime for want of a better way of saying it.

Norman Best
27th February 2014, 13:21
Yes a great bar Shaw Savill were good customers. Right what you say about Maria and her daughter, to great girls, oh happy days. Norm.

jordiboy
28th February 2014, 23:03
Yes I was a regular in the Ringo in the 1960s worked for Canadian Pacific on the Beavers had some great times with Maria and her daughter I still have a photo I had taken with her ( I dont show the wife)

Brian Brown
4th March 2014, 06:45
Does anyone remember frequenting Maria's bar in Antwerp in the early 60,s? I think it was called Cafe Ringo, the walls and ceiling were painted a matt dark colour (Maroon?) from memory and you could ask for a piece of chalk from the bar and write your name and ship on the walls / ceiling (If you could find the space). Maria herself was still on the young side of middle age and strikingly attractive, single with a daughter in her late teens / early twenties, I think most of us would have stuck our E/R boots under her table anytime for want of a better way of saying it.

Maria's Bar
Aaaaaah yes!!!!

I can well imagine all the aging nostalgic romantics getting in line on this thread. Indeed a wonderful lady...fond memories

Derek Roger
4th March 2014, 14:29
Then there was Annies Bar sometimes known as the Brocklebank bar .

bill thompson
4th March 2014, 20:18
There was a one legged lady who wasn't averse to showing you her xxxx .
the question was,,"Would you boys like to see a bit of xxxx. The response was obvious.That was in the early sixties.I dont think that I would like to see it now.

david dunlop
13th March 2014, 09:55
Yes I remember it well during my visits in the 50s,on Beaverboats.

Maria was a very handsome lady,her daughter Simone was engaged to a Canadian soldier stationed there from the war.We were told Maria had a bad time during the war,ie fraternising with the germans.
How true I don't know.

G Eyre
14th March 2014, 09:02
Yes I remember it well during my visits in the 50s,on Beaverboats.

Maria was a very handsome lady,her daughter Simone was engaged to a Canadian soldier stationed there from the war.We were told Maria had a bad time during the war,ie fraternising with the germans.
How true I don't know.

Hi David, Thanks for your comment, I can't vouch for the fraternizing bit but she did tell me she had a bad time during the German occupation as her husband deserted her and her daughter just before the Germans arrived, she was left to survive the war with only her wits so I guess anything was possible in those days

Pietro
10th April 2014, 15:51
Hi, yes I remember "Ringos" visited several times whilst on the "Beaverlake"