Reunion wirral

Africapalm
27th February 2014, 17:55
If anyone interested in a reunion for palmers, Bob Ellsmoor arranges one each year on the Wirral, normally mid to end of June, It is held a day before an E.D reunion, so people with connections to both companies can arrange a two day event. Palm reunion normally held on a Wednesday. Quite a few people attend, if anyone interested post a reply and I will let him know as he needs to know numbers for booking the hotel meal etc.

Africapalm
23rd March 2014, 19:44
Date for reunion now set for 4 June on the Wirral, anyone interested please advise

ccurtis1
24th March 2014, 17:20
Would you pass on my kind regards to Bob Ellsmoor. He was C/O on the old Africa Palm when I sailed with him. If memory serves me correctly, John Cay (spelling) did his one voyage as Master as he was office bound. Hughie Bunker and Tommy Rylance were two Masters at the time. Pete Smith from Bolton was the C/E, "Bring em back alive" Ben Hamilton was the PCS and Les Dodson (what a character) was the Assistant Purser. A real old banger of a ship, built 1952, but what great times we had on board. Bob, was affectionately known as "Wobbly Bob Ellsmoor"

Africapalm
26th May 2014, 07:29
Hi Colin,

Did you manage to stir up any interest in coming down to the reunion on 4 June, Bob Elsmoor has told me there are 18 coming to it so far but would like to know numbers so he can book the tables etc

Mark.

slick
26th May 2014, 08:19
All,
Regards to all who may remember me John Kelly, I sailed in the MV Badagry Palm and the Lagos Palm 1963 - 1964 as 4th. Mate.
"Sweet pass all"

Yours aye.

Africapalm
26th May 2014, 22:26
Hi john,

I will ask around to see who remembers you, many of the guys I'm in touch with were around in the early sixties, I'm only a young pup started in 75 . Bob Elsmoor was on bamenda and Lagos as first mate around that time so he may. Can you remember any names or have they gone into the mists of time like most of my memories.

Mark

cacique
26th May 2014, 23:05
All my bags are packed, Im ready to go - will start the haul on Sunday morning and should be with the Wirral Squirrels by Monday lunchtime.

Looking forward to it very much

Cacique
aka David Wilson.

Alan Weekes
6th June 2014, 07:07
All, does anyone have photo's from the Wirral reunion to share.

Regards, Alan.

Africapalm
6th June 2014, 08:20
Hi Alan,

Tried to attach group photo but not very good at it

Mark

cacique
7th June 2014, 04:40
Just back home, 25 hours after leaving the Wirral. Well worth the effort, a very very enjoyable week.

Cacique

aka David Wilson.

father john
18th July 2014, 06:59
Hi all,
Interesting to hear of the Palm Line reunion. I sailed with Palm Line from 1963 until 1969 as 4/0 3/0 2/0 on Bamenda Palm, Badagry Palm, Niger Palm, Ilorin Palm, and a few others. I can remember David Flemming Miller, and possibly John Kelly (earlier post). Names and faces are a bit hard to remember after 45 years or more. I recall John Cay, as well as Tommy Rylance (OBE) who was Master on Ilorin Palm. Captains Pugh, Salvidge, Holeyman, Grimason, also come to mind. Father John. (aka John Marshall.)

Africapalm
19th July 2014, 07:26
Hi all,
Interesting to hear of the Palm Line reunion. I sailed with Palm Line from 1963 until 1969 as 4/0 3/0 2/0 on Bamenda Palm, Badagry Palm, Niger Palm, Ilorin Palm, and a few others. I can remember David Flemming Miller, and possibly John Kelly (earlier post). Names and faces are a bit hard to remember after 45 years or more. I recall John Cay, as well as Tommy Rylance (OBE) who was Master on Ilorin Palm. Captains Pugh, Salvidge, Holeyman, Grimason, also come to mind. Father John. (aka John Marshall.)

Hi John,

Good to hear from you, I am sure you will have sailed with some of the reunion party then as they were all on or around those ships at the time you were with Palm, Bob Elsemoor and Mike Hurley may have been there. George Holeyman also. I will forward your mail to Bob and Mike to see if they remember you, but like yourself we are all getting older and it was a long time ago and memories just fade a little.

Mark