DM-Call the Midwife

alaric
8th March 2014, 11:48
British TV followers may be interested to learn that last weeks most popular programme was BBC1s 'Call the Midwife' with 10.25M viewers. A clear winner, no other programme, on any channel got as many as 9M.
The programme is set in the East End in the 1950s and the opening titles show Dominion Monarch berthed in KGV, appropriately, with the camera looking down Saville Street to the ship. Judging by the lack of cars in the picture it was taken either in 1939 or the late 1940s.
As far as I know, DM does not feature in the story line.

Erimus
8th March 2014, 11:52
Last one this weekend I am told.

geoff

Plumber
8th March 2014, 13:37
I have a photo of the DM exactly like the one shown which I took in the 1950's

gadgee
8th March 2014, 19:19
This image is from Getty Libraries and has been posted in 2005 in SN Gallery. A link is here

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/1083/title/dominion-monarch/cat/505

alaric
8th March 2014, 21:04
This image is from Getty Libraries and has been posted in 2005 in SN Gallery. A link is here

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/1083/title/dominion-monarch/cat/505
Thanks Gadgee, yes it is a well known picture even before the Midwives got it!
I think you are right, DM was in the Dry Dock, but afloat. Too high up to be on the blocks. Any ideas about the sheet draped from the fwd funnel?
Although my wife is a fan of the programme, I have only watched a couple of episodes at the start of the original series. I did the first two years of my Apprenticeship at Poplar Tech in 1957-9, and I don't recognise the side of Poplar that is portrayed in the programme. Mind you, I was not expecting a baby at the time!

Phill
8th March 2014, 21:31
Mostly filmed at Chatham Docks.
Phill

alaric
9th March 2014, 08:43

Was this picture taken at the same time? Dated 1948

trotterdotpom
9th March 2014, 10:13
My sister was a midwife, district and hospital, she stopped counting after a 1000 babies. It's a big job when you look into it.

John T

Malcolm S
9th March 2014, 18:39
British TV followers may be interested to learn that last weeks most popular programme was BBC1s 'Call the Midwife' with 10.25M viewers. A clear winner, no other programme, on any channel got as many as 9M.
The programme is set in the East End in the 1950s and the opening titles show Dominion Monarch berthed in KGV, appropriately, with the camera looking down Saville Street to the ship. Judging by the lack of cars in the picture it was taken either in 1939 or the late 1940s.
As far as I know, DM does not feature in the story line.

We have ben following that program here in Canada. My wife is an ex SSA nurse but was also a midwife working in similar conditions portrayed in the program but in the Leicester area. I often looked at that picture and thought it was a fake but now I know different, thank you.
Malcolm

gadgee
9th March 2014, 20:25
Was this picture taken at the same time? Dated 1948

DM is certainly in the same dry dock but the date from Getty images is March 10th 1950. Saville Road is on the right across from the bus. If you want to see more images of DM then visit Hulton Getty's website and search for DM.