Tony Benn Dies

Binnacle
14th March 2014, 10:56
Former cabinet minister and veteran left-wing campaigner Tony Benn has died at home, his family has said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk/

cueball44
14th March 2014, 11:16
R.i.p Tony Benn.

Scelerat
14th March 2014, 11:17
An honest, and very intelligent, man of principle, who argued for and against views and policies rather than for or against people.
Derek Hatton, on Radio 2 this morning, said that, when arguing with him, he created a paradoxical situation where, although one knew that one's argument and viewpoint was right, Tony Benn's argument and viewpoint, although opposed to one's own, also appeared to be right! Malcolm Rifkind spoke of him this morning on the radio, saying that he met him on his (Tony Benn's) doorstep whilst canvassing for votes in an election, Tony Benn living in the constituency that Rifkind was standing for. He said that, after a discussion, he put him down as a "doubtful".....
I doubt we'll see his like again, which is a great pity.

Ron Dean
14th March 2014, 11:19
One of the few politicians I admired & respected.
A great speaker & campaigner who opted out of receiving his hereditary peerage.
RIP Tony, condolances to his family & friends.

Ron.

Mad Landsman
14th March 2014, 11:19
The Right Honourable Anthony Wedgewood-Benn, formerly 2nd Viscount Stansgate

Truly a man of principal - His MP son will not even come close.

Duncan112
14th March 2014, 11:23
It will be interesting to see if his elder son Stephen adopts the title or renounces his claim to it.

Chris Isaac
14th March 2014, 11:41
Can't say I agreed with many of his beliefs but he always commanded respect for his consistent views and his total honesty.
He was a good man.

Pat Kennedy
14th March 2014, 12:02
A man of integrity and principle, head and shoulders above today's crop of politicians. He will be sadly missed.
RIP.

James_C
14th March 2014, 12:44
A man of strong conviction, yet amiable, honest and a strong yet unfailingly polite debater.
The world is a poorer place for his passing.

Sister Eleff
14th March 2014, 12:56
It will be interesting to see if his elder son Stephen adopts the title or renounces his claim to it.

I thought he renounced it for himself and his heirs.

willincity
14th March 2014, 13:10
RIP old wedgie, ...................... one thing is for sure you have left a lot of political pygmies behind.
If only the current shower in the House Of Commons had an ounce of his backbone, belief and commitment and that includes his son.

Duncan112
14th March 2014, 13:28
I thought he renounced it for himself and his heirs.

No, just himself, the Peerage Act provides for his successors to inherit the title, and for the person who disclaimed the Peerage to have a life peerage conferrred on him (as in the case of Lord Home who disclaimed his title to become Prime Minister) but not a further Hereditary Peerage.

Biggles Wader
14th March 2014, 14:08
I had the honour to meet him 24 years ago.A great man and a true gentleman.
RIP

joebuckham
14th March 2014, 14:28
another of the good guys gone :( rip

sparkie2182
14th March 2014, 14:30
The mark of the man .............

..........not one dissenting post.....so far at least.

His beliefs never changed.

R.I.P.

Duncan112
14th March 2014, 14:47
True Sparks, and he never resorted to rabble rousing which is more than we can say about most of the present incumbents of Haliatosis Hall.

I didn't agree with his policies, but have no doubt that he would have defended my right to disagree.

Tom(Tucker)Kirby
14th March 2014, 14:53
He attended at a Pier Head seaman's strike meeting in 1960.
The greatest Labour leader we never had!

makko
14th March 2014, 15:29
RIP Tony Benn - Condolences to his family. An intelligent man, a man of Service, integrity and principle. A great loss.
Rgds.
Dave

Mad Landsman
14th March 2014, 16:32

I recall that Stephen did at some time take advantage of his entitlement to observe proceedings in the Chamber from a position behind the Woolsack.

connie
14th March 2014, 16:46
shall miss seen you,at the durham miners gala tony, enjoyed listening to you at the sage Gateshead a few years back, when you flouted the no smoking ban on stage, didn't always agree with your politics-but you got people talking, rip.

China hand
14th March 2014, 19:49
I did not agree with most of what I heard him say, but he always came over as an honest point-maker. I think he was a trifle out of date in his views, but maybe, when the New Labour years are considered, the out of date view was perhaps the better. Mr Benn will be better thought of as a diarist more than a politician, methinks. An intelligent, very witty man.

Cutsplice
14th March 2014, 22:11
However he was received by people in his lifetime due to his opinions. There is one un denying fact that is, he was sincere and unwavering in his philosophy.
He may have been critical of other peoples political opinions, but he was always polite and respectful, therefore a sad loss to society.
Today's politicians generally are unsincere with big egos and self interest, not many of them could be judged to be in the same league as Tony Benn.

Sister Eleff
15th March 2014, 01:29
No, just himself, the Peerage Act provides for his successors to inherit the title, and for the person who disclaimed the Peerage to have a life peerage conferrred on him (as in the case of Lord Home who disclaimed his title to become Prime Minister) but not a further Hereditary Peerage.

Thank you for clearing that up for me.

Barrie Youde
15th March 2014, 11:43
Truly he was a man of principle and a highly plausible speaker.

Somebody once said of him in the early 1970s that he was too young to be Prime Minister, and always would be.

trotterdotpom
15th March 2014, 11:50
Lord Hailsham ditched his title so he could have a crack at becoming PM when MacMillan retired. He became plain Quintin Hogg. Sometime later he got a Life Peerage and was back on the gravy train. Were there many others who got two bites of the cherry?

I don't think Tony Benn would have taken it if they'd begged him, he had too much trouble renouncing his hereditary title.

RIP Tony.

John T

Mad Landsman
15th March 2014, 12:29
An example of how the system works is Victor Montagu, 10th Earl of Sandwich.
As Viscount Hinchingbrooke he was the MP for South Dorset - A safe Tory seat at the time.
When his father died and he was elevated to the peerage there was a by-election and he backed an alternative (Anti Common Market) candidate. The result was that the Labour candidate got in against a split vote.
When the opportunity arose he renounced the title, but never got back as an MP.
When he died in 1995 his son succeeded to the title of 11th Earl Of Sandwich.

His 'cherished number plate' on his Range Rover was VM10 - He still acknowledged that he was the 10th Earl.

Andy
16th March 2014, 10:13
Please keep the obituary threads free of political discussion... stromy weather is the best forum for that.
Thank you,
Admin

Binnacle
16th March 2014, 10:50
Tony Benn proposed marriage to the American lady he married whilst they were seated on a wooden bench outside a London church, he had only met her nine days before. After her death he purchased the bench and placed it by her graveside. Faithful unto death.

Barrie Youde
16th March 2014, 12:37

How very different from the Thatcher obituary thread.

Andy
16th March 2014, 12:46

How very different from the Thatcher obituary thread.

Not entirely sure that was ever in the obituary forum, simply a thread in one of the others. Whatever, the line has now been drawn for the obituary forum.

Basil
16th March 2014, 12:48
After her death he purchased the bench and placed it by her graveside
I purchased a parental memorial bench and placed it, with council approval, on Greenock Esplanade. It was nicked.

scorcher
16th March 2014, 19:29
Tony Benn proposed marriage to the American lady he married whilst they were seated on a wooden bench outside a London church, he had only met her nine days before. After her death he purchased the bench and placed it by her graveside. Faithful unto death.

Thank you for listing that event , a true romantic .The only time I listened to radio 4 's "Question Time" was when Tony Benn was a guest. He was more than a mere politician , we was a raconteur as entertaining as Peter Ustinov. R.I.P.

ben27
17th March 2014, 01:17
good day binnacle,sm.14th march,19:56.re:toney benn dies,may he rest in peace,(no politics).regards ben27.

Dickyboy
17th March 2014, 05:27
A truly great man, who stuck to his views and beliefs throughout his life. Straight as an arrow. RIP.

ccurtis1
18th March 2014, 21:07
Just a bit surprised that my comment regarding Mr Benn was deleted as political by the moderators.
My comment:- "Perhaps the best Prime Minister we never had" with a tongue in cheek reference to a possible cabinet of Robin Cook and Denis Skinner.
Political? I think not.
This site does not resemble the forum that I have been party to for some years now. A great pity really

stein
19th March 2014, 11:04
I think removing offending parts from a tread is a bit difficult; the posts often hang together in very different ways, and the natural solution would be to start somewhere, then find somewhere to stop and then remove what’s in-between.

I was removed too, but I have no quarrel with that: my two posts were taunting irony and would be quite clearly within what is now banned (perhaps were even what made the intervention necessary), but Pat Kennedy seems to have been partly removed as well, and why that was necessary I don’t understand.

If I owned a website there’d be rules too - I see that as unavoidable - and it would be my rules. And if this needs removal too – go ahead Moderators.

Varley
19th March 2014, 11:58
To eulogise (which is not required of us, only "to speak no ill") a politician without any mention of politics is as strange as doing the same for a cook without mentioning her food. Perhaps I should have started with the (unrequired) praise and left any politics till last.

But to be strange is entirely the right of the site's custodians who, I see, are open to our continued mild grumblings.

My original post said Mr. Benn was no liar. Surely no higher praise is due to a politician.