New member looking for an old ship

skiprocks
28th March 2014, 15:15
Greetings from a new member. Wonderful site I've stumbled on here - had no idea that anything like this existed. I've not made my living at sea as most of you have - save three years in Alaska trawling in the Bering Sea in my younger days. However, I do have a very soft spot in my heart for the lines of many of the older vessels (small coasters & power schooners for example).

So much so that I've been looking - unsuccessfully to date - for just such a vessel who's financial feasibility as a hauler has long passed it by. This may or may not be a form of blasphemy on this site (I hope not), but my family and I are looking for a steel hull that we can transform into our home away from home in the Virgin Islands. I'd rather it live on as a static reminder of what once was rather than disappear altogether.

My hopes are that some of you may know of just such a vessel tied up or on the hook in the Caribbean. It all depends on what still exists in this part of the world, but my goal is a beautiful, classic steel hull in the 90-120 foot (27-36 meters) range. Thanks in advance.

Skip

Gulpers
28th March 2014, 18:25
Skip,

On behalf of the SN Moderators, a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey.
You will thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and hopefully someone will be able to help with your query in the meantime have a good look around. (Thumb)

Good luck from a slightly jealous Moderator. (Jester)

stevekelly10
28th March 2014, 18:48
A lot bigger, than you are looking for and probably a bit more expensive too! but you can always dream :) Good luck with your hunt !
http://www.jamesedition.com/yachts/great-lakes-engineering-works/other/steam-powered-yacht-78m.-for-sale-509280

skiprocks
28th March 2014, 21:05
Just "slightly" more expensive than we were planning on Steve ;-)

chadburn
28th March 2014, 21:53
I was invited aboard her a few years ago, she is magnificent with an Engineroom that is superbly looked after.

John Dryden
28th March 2014, 22:30
Something like this one skiprocks?
https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/279554/title/independence-ii/cat/500

R58484956
30th March 2014, 16:14
Greetings Skip and welcome to SN from across the pond. Bon voyage.