Mobil oil tankers

dale collins
1st April 2014, 23:47
Hello members, just wondering if there is anyone out there who sailed on any of the Mobil tankers in the early 1960's. Another fond memory is sailing for 1 year on the Brocklebank cargo vessel M.V. Mahout during 1968. I also spent about 6 years from 1979-85 on the Nauru Pacific line vessels as Second and Chief engineer. It would be nice to hear from anyone who sailed with these shipping lines. Dale Collins.

Gulpers
2nd April 2014, 01:19
Dale,

On behalf of the SN Moderators, a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey - you will thoroughly enjoy the SN experience!
You will certainly spark many happy memories when you explore our threads and, since there are certainly plenty ex-Brocklebank members, you have a good chance of re-establishing contact with old shipmates.
Good luck! (Thumb)

gdynia
2nd April 2014, 09:03
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

billyboy
2nd April 2014, 13:36
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

ART6
2nd April 2014, 14:50
(Jester)Hello members, just wondering if there is anyone out there who sailed on any of the Mobil tankers in the early 1960's. Another fond memory is sailing for 1 year on the Brocklebank cargo vessel M.V. Mahout during 1968. I also spent about 6 years from 1979-85 on the Nauru Pacific line vessels as Second and Chief engineer. It would be nice to hear from anyone who sailed with these shipping lines. Dale Collins.

Now there's a blast from the past! I sailed initially with Stanvac, which was a Standard Oil subsidiary. After something like eighteen months there was, I understood at the time, some confrontation in American politics between the Rockefellers who owned Standard Oil and the Kennedy's who wanted them damned (republicans or democrats? I can't recall) brought to heel under American tax laws. Whatever, Stanvac suddenly became Mobil Oil overnight, although God knows why! I suddenly found that my contract was changed from Stanvac to Mobil, but as long as someone paid me I wasn't too bothered, and I became a crew member of the Mobil Horizon rather than the Stanvac Horizon. Nothing much else changed -- the food was still crap, the bond locker ran out frequently, and in the engine room the turbines and boilers appeared to be unaware that they had suddenly changed allegiance.

But then my next trip after leave somehow became with Esso, and a telegram arrived at my home telling me to join the Esso Dublin in Southampton. Being young and happily prepared to run with the tide, I duly signed on and found myself with a British crew instead of Asians for the first time. Not, initially at least, a happy experience I have to admit. No more "Pani munta!" when on watch, and no more chapattis on the twelve-to-four. No more of those inflammatory curries that would take the skin off of a rhinoceros. No more one's own steward to make the bed, iron the shirts, and bring the beer from the bond locker in return for two cans.

Oh well, the food was actually a little better than crap, and the bond locker seemed to be well equipped. I didn't have to contribute two cans to avail of a delivery, but I had to iron my own shirts. Not a bad thing though, as it turned out. When I got married I could iron much better than my new wife could, so I had to teach her how to do it although she never quite got the hang of it!(Jester)

sheringham
2nd April 2014, 19:40
Hi Dale

There are numerous anecdotes from members who served with Mobil in the early 60s. in the forum.
I sailed with them as 3/O & 2/O from Sept. 1963 through to June. 1967.
Art6. I joined the Mobil Progress, formerly Stanvac Progress, in HK in April 1964 and stayed with her until we went to Sasebo for conversion from Asiatic crews to Australian crew and Aussie flag, then to be managed by the Adelaide Shipping Pty and renamed Australian Progress.
Happy days

Ron

dale collins
2nd April 2014, 23:52
Ron we must have sailed together on the "Progress",perhaps only briefly,as I joined her in April 1963,and left in Yokohama in about July 1964,4 days after leaving Hong Kong. I had an urgent appendix operation at the Bluff hospital, and stayed in Yokohama about 3 months,before flying to Sasebo to join the Mobil Astral. Finally the "Astral" was completed, and we sailed to Melbourne via persian gulf on its maiden voyage. I paid off in Melbourne,and joined the "Mobil Endeavour" at a later date. In the 1970's sailed as a junior engineer on the 'Progress" again, a few times, but the atmosphere was vastly different, with Australian crew and the changed accomodation.One memory that sticks in my mind was having to have an injection of penicillin,during my appendicitis episode,given by the newly promoted 2/0 Tony Marsden,who you may recall. Everyone was crowded into my cabin to watch the event,done under the captains supervision.As Tony slowly pushed the needle into my rump,he enquired anxiously,"is that hurting" well, it did, but at least probably saved my life at the time.Dale.

sheringham
3rd April 2014, 10:30
Hi Dale
I guess we must have sailed together as I was 3/O at the time. Have looked at my diary and find that I actually joined her in Ras Tannura, then HK back to Abadan then HK before going to Yokohama (03.07.64).. I have a number of piccies of the time particularly in and around the pool. Also Dave the R/O is a member on this forum.
Best wishes

Ron

dale collins
3rd April 2014, 11:41
Hi Ron, we must have sailed together at that time,as I well remember making the two trips to Hong Kong,and then leaving the ship in Yokohama. From memory,the master at the time was Gordon Pilley,the mate Vic. Davies,second mate Tony Marsden,cannot remember you as third officer,but do recall the previous third,a newly married young chap from U.K. named Tony,maybe you were his relief. The Chief engineer was Tony vost,second eng. Merton pascoe,fourth eng Mick quinn from Renmark ,South Aust. I was the fifth eng. The radio officer I remember as Alan,who was older by a few years than the rest of us,but his name could have been Dave,as I'm just relying on my memory here.There were at least two wives' on board,Mrs Pilley and Val vost I remember.They were great times,and I would love to be able to do it all over again but times have changed,and shipping is not what it was.We had the best of it I think in the 60's 70's and80's[I went ashore in 1986] It's good to know there are others still able to remember those times of 50 years ago.Regards. Dale Collins.

sheringham
3rd April 2014, 13:20
Hi Dale
Your are right the R/O was Alan Headley who kindly sent me a number of photos from those days which with my own reminds me of those halcyon days. As I recall most of the personnel on board were resident in Oz and R/O. 3/E (whose name, I think, was Nuttal) and myself were Poms. I think your replacement was a young engineer (were'nt we all young 50 years ago)named Ken ? from Altona near Melbourne with whom I spent a lot of time with in the pool when not on watch.
Regards
Ron

jmbrent
3rd April 2014, 15:47
Hi Dale, when I first saw the Mobil tankers thread I thought that name rings a bell, I am sure that we sailed together in Mobil all those years ago. I sailed on quite a number of Mobil ships from September 1962 to November 1968. I did sail with Tony Marsden when he was Chief officer. Micky.

sheringham
3rd April 2014, 22:19
Hi Dale
Looked thru' number of photographs of the trip and I have one of Tony 3/O and the Master on the bridge. As I took it I must have been there!
As I recall he was either newly married or going home to be married so may have left at HK?.
Others have faces but other than C/E & wife Val, Tony Marsden and Alan names elude me. Were you there for the social evenings when Tony & ? cooked meals for everyone?
Uploading photos does not seem to work for me as" it " tells me that the format is too large.
Regards
Ron

dale collins
4th April 2014, 11:12
Ron, I did remember Alan ,the R/O quite well.After thinking awhile his second name Headly came to me. For some reason,I can still picture him quite well,about 30 years of age at that time,dark hair,slightly balding.I remember having a few drinks with him in a Hong Kong bar.I would love to see any pics you have,if it were possible to e-mail them. I don't have many pics myself,just one or two taken on the "Mobil Endeavour" on which I sailed for about 9 months in 1965, paying off in Rotterdam and went to head office in Westminster rd. London. I was going to spend my leave in U.K. but was not used to the cold [January] so I flew back to Melb. after a couple of weeks.In fact have not been back to England since.I should have went up to Scotland to visit some of my mothers relatives. Tony Marsden did love to cook and organize parties as I recall. Sailed on the Mobil Astral a couple of times,the C/O was a chap named Ken thorn, he was also mate on the Progress during our 9 months on the Australian coast with the Indian crew. All for now. Dale.

sheringham
4th April 2014, 14:24
Hi Dale
You have a PM
Regards
Ron

alacoral
8th April 2014, 10:10
Hi Dale
I was that 30 year old balding R/O now 80 and completely bald. Remember the times in HK well .Now living in Mandurah W.A.. Retired since 1995 .I have a few pics of you and a couple of the engineers which will onpass to Ron
Regards and best wiches = Allan

G Eyre
8th April 2014, 11:16
Hello members, just wondering if there is anyone out there who sailed on any of the Mobil tankers in the early 1960's. Another fond memory is sailing for 1 year on the Brocklebank cargo vessel M.V. Mahout during 1968. I also spent about 6 years from 1979-85 on the Nauru Pacific line vessels as Second and Chief engineer. It would be nice to hear from anyone who sailed with these shipping lines. Dale Collins.

Hi Dale, This may be going against the flow of the tanker guys but I am fairly sure I sailed with you on the Egamoiya when you were the 2/E and I was the Leccy, it was in the early 80's with Bob Ingham the Captain, Sonny the Indian C/E, Andy Giles may have been 3/E and Tim Burfoot 2/O. My name may not ring a bell but being 2+ Meters tall and so skinny I had to run round in the shower to get wet may prod your memory.
Hope you are well
Cheers
Graham Eyre

dale collins
9th April 2014, 03:01
Hi, Graham,yes I think I remember sailing with you, if I remember correctly,you lived in N.Z.and could be described as tall,with light color hair .One day I recall, we walked from the ship and had a drink at the local tavern that was opposite the Spencer st. rail station.I think it was the R/O Norm White who was with us at the time.I ended up spending about 5 years on and off the "Eigamoiya" as both 2/E and C/E.I left the sea about 1985,and ended up running a Japanese tourist business,together with my Japanese partner who you may remember. I am now living on a small property at Ballarat,retired. Good to hear from you, those 6 years with N.P.L.certainly some of the best times I ever had. Regards. Dale.