Hello from a newcomer near Cambridge

bertyboo
4th April 2014, 22:12
I have been given a picture of an unidentified vessel. Looks like a motor gun boat with depth charges along sides. The picture is signed J Gordon - Crosby, or Erosby and dated 1939. Can anyone provide any information on the vessel or the artist please?

Pompeyfan
4th April 2014, 23:04
On behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard bertyboo.

Hopefully, someone will be able to help with the information you are seeking. Good luck (Thumb)

cueball44
4th April 2014, 23:33
I have been given a picture of an unidentified vessel. Looks like a motor gun boat with depth charges along sides. The picture is signed J Gordon - Crosby, or Erosby and dated 1939. Can anyone provide any information on the vessel or the artist please?Naval Patrol Boat. (Impression of a prototype that was never built) Painted by Frederick Gordon Crosby 1939. From the M.O.D art collection.

Gulpers
4th April 2014, 23:39
bertyboo,

Also on behalf of the SN Moderators, a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey!
You will thoroughly enjoy your time on SN and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

billyboy
4th April 2014, 23:47
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

R58484956
5th April 2014, 11:32
Greetings BB and welcome to SN. Ask a question and up pops the answer. Bon voyage.

bertyboo
6th April 2014, 22:53
Thank you cueball44. Can you tell me any more? Where is the M.O.D. art collection held and is it open to the public? Did Frederick Gordon Crosby work for the M.O.D. or for a ship building company?

cueball44
6th April 2014, 23:12
Thank you cueball44. Can you tell me any more? Where is the M.O.D. art collection held and is it open to the public? Did Frederick Gordon Crosby work for the M.O.D. or for a ship building company?He was an illustrator. If you Google "Frederick Gordon Crosby patrol boat images". You will find some information there.

bertyboo
7th April 2014, 13:13
Thanks, I have found more information on the web. As you say the original picture is in the M.O.D. art collection and was a gift from the Fairmile Marine Company Ltd. to the Admiralty. The Fairmile Marine Company was founded in 1939, the date of the picture, and it received an agreement from the Admiralty in 1940 for the production of motor patrol boats. Several hundred Fairmile MGB's were manufactured, in Canada, New Zealand and South Africa. There are photographs of German U-boats surrendering to Fairmiles.