Empire Guillemot 1941

Tish Cook
5th April 2014, 19:47
Hi everyone. I am looking for anyone who was connected to the good ship Empire Guillemot which went down in October 1941. It was sailing from Malta to Gibraltar and was torpedoed off the coast of Algeria. My father in law was one of the survivors and he was also a war artist. We have many pictures and portraits he drew whilst on board the ship and during his internment in a POW camp. We also have a list of possible survivors who would have been at the camp with him.

My father in law's name was John Kinglsey Cook and he worked on board in the radio room. An exhibition of some of his work from the period is currently on show in the Queens House, Royal Maritime Museum, Greenwich.

The family would very much like to hear from anyone who may have connections with this ship, or who may have sent home portraits of themselves done by John by way of announcing to their families that they were OK.

Thanks for reading this. Tish Cook

Gulpers
5th April 2014, 20:00
Tish,

On behalf of the SN Moderators, thanks for your introduction and a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey.
You will thoroughly enjoy your time on SN and hopefully you will get some positive responses to your message. (Thumb)

Hugh MacLean
5th April 2014, 20:43
Hello and welcome Tish,

I posted this the other day: https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=59994

Regards
Hugh

Gulpers
5th April 2014, 20:49
What a truly remarkable coincidence Hugh, thank you for replying to Tish. (Applause)

Pompeyfan
5th April 2014, 21:57
Also on behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard Tish.

billyboy
6th April 2014, 12:10
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

R58484956
6th April 2014, 12:31
Greetings Tish and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

harpo
27th February 2017, 12:26
My grandfather, Bert Hellewell, was radio officer on the Empire Guillemot and survived the sinking. He spent the rest of the war as cook in a POW camp in North Africa.

Before he died I interviewed him about this and would be happy to send you the MP3 file if you give me an email.