Ships Nostalgia banner

Any Old Baron Boat Men Still Out There

40K views 69 replies 48 participants last post by  puggy0364 
#1 ·
Anyone on the baron minto march 1963 or baron belhaven september 1964 or woodford may 1962.

#3 ·
Baron Line.

Hi,
Bit of info.
BARON MINTO(111) 1959-1967.tonnage 7,801. 4 cyl.2 S.C.S.A. oil engine by William Doxford & Sons.Sunderland.completed 1959 by Sir James Laing & Sons Ltd.Sunderland.1967 sold to Astro Dichoso Cia.Nav.S.A.Greece.renamed DIRPHYS.
Baron Belhaven(111).1960-67.tonnage.8,337.4cyl.2 S.C.S.A.oil engine by Hawthorn Leslie Ltd.Newcastle.completed 1960 by John Readhead & Sons Ltd.South Sjields.1967 sold to Evie Navigation Co Ltd.Liberia. renamed GLOBAL TRADER.1972 transferred to Greek registry.
cheers.
shipmate17

#53 ·
Baron Boaters

E

From 21241 to Jimmy Mair. I was delighted to pick up your message on Baron Boater, Ships Nostalgia. I am also a former Baron Boat man who knows you very well for you and I served together on the Baron Garioch under Les Graham for about 18 months. Please respond as I'd love to have a chat with you after 50 years. Yours aye, your old shipmate and buddy, Dave Dickson

#7 ·
Baron Garioch
which I served on for the best eight months of my life I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of her
Barry Wood
Also are there any pictures of the Sheaf Wear out there or as anyone got of both these ships to fill my collection of the ships I servered on while in the Merchant Navy

#11 ·
Served as apprentice on:
Baron Maclay Sept 1956-May 1957 Capt.W.Warden Ch/Off J.Morrison
Baron Herries June 1957-April 1959 Capt J.Wylie Ch/Off E.Griffiths
Capt G.Harris Ch/Off G.Hunter
Baron Glenconner May 1959-Sept 1960 Capt CW Knoakes Ch/Off I.Mackay
Capt R.Gunn Ch/Off G.Hunter
Capt T.Pearson Ch/Off G.Hunter
I don't regret a single minute of my time with Hogarths it set me up for life be it in a totally different profession.
Would do it all again.

#14 ·
I saild with Scottish Ship Management in the 70,s & 80,s served on the Baron Renfrew, Napier, Maclay,and Kinnaird as well as a few of the Cape boats, many good memories,wish they were still running. If anyone is looking for imformotion on Baron Boats the Scottish Ship Management sight is a good starting place
Good luck.
Ernie Lindsay

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
I saild with Scottish Ship Management in the 70,s & 80,s served on the Baron Renfrew, Napier, Maclay,and Kinnaird
Ernie Just a note to let you know I worked by on the baron renfrew at Canada dock Liverpool 1960 Myself a chief steward a mate and an engineer she was riddled with steam flies and roaches and we had to strip her clean before she was fumigated.The thing was I did want to sail on her but was given a blue star boat instead Regards Tony Allen

#17 ·
Hi Tony I was on the Renfrew in '77' I'm afraid the fumigation done no good, I remember going into the bar one night and swiched on the ghetto blaster only to see a roach running accross the radio dial (inside),it must have been a favourit haunt as they were also present inside the sterio on the Maclay.
Ernie.

#19 ·
Baron Elphinstone 1952/53. R/O. Rough one, Lascar crew including the Chf Stwd. A Captain Campbell from Islay. Outside of the Mate the rest were all in the 60's. 2nd Eng was actually 70. Story I was given was that they had accepted shares in lieu of wages at some point. No idea as to the truth of that.
I have a picture somewhere of the Officers in Fremantle Xmas 52 - I went ashore to eat later...
Good times though, much of it spent between Port Louis and Laurenco Marques. Sugar out, scrawny cattle back. No tourist glitz then. I loved Port Louis...wicked grin.

Alex

#26 ·
Al4ex Loveday

Hi Alex from an old Bank Line man...

Just a long shot, but around 50/51 a school chum called Alex Loveday left to join Hogarths, when I went into the Bank Line.. Just wondered if the name rings a bell at all? ( I later heard on the grapevine that he had jumped ship in Australia, but can't vouch for the truth in the story).

Cheers/ Alan Rawlinson

#23 ·
My first trip was on the Baron Kinnairds maiden voyage Nov 1958. I was junior engineer. I remember that as she hit deep sea on the way to the Panama Canal all the steam pipes were leaking due to the motion of the ship. Then we drifted for 8 hours in the Carribean with a fractured oil pipe in the main engine. Next trip was on the SS Baron Inverclyde and two trips on the Baron Jedburgh the second trip being 18 months. The Kinnaird and Jedburgh were good ships with good Doxford engines. The nickname Hungry Hogarths must have derived from the 1930s as all three ships I sailed on were great feeders. If anyone got a bad feeder it was because the Chief Steward was scrimping not the Company. Those were good times with great mates that you never got working ashore, it`s living proof when you read the posts and people still hark back 50 years to their old mates.

#29 ·
Baron Line

I was 2nd mate on the Minto after serving my time with HH but earlier. I was on it's maiden trip with Capt. William Warden of Tyree. We did a year or more going to the USA, OZ and Japan with sugar and came home from Cairns with sugar and I left to get married and joined the UBC United Baltic Corp'n then left them and went to NZ and waa chief officer on the Aramoana etc etc(EEK)
after getting masters in Wellington. I left the MN in 1966 before it all fell apart and while we still had one..............David Mills

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.