good to be alive

tony mullen
20th April 2014, 02:00
Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.

billyboy
20th April 2014, 07:33
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

R58484956
20th April 2014, 10:35
5 years a member and 25 posts, come on Tony must try better.

cueball44
20th April 2014, 11:07
I have some photos on my living room wall. Dad 48, Mum 68, Eldest Brother 40, Second Brother 57, Uncle 23, Son 38. None had a good innings. So what comes with old age (if I'm lucky) won't bother me.

cboots
21st April 2014, 09:12
The only known cure for old age is to die young.
CBoots

Varley
21st April 2014, 10:02
My Sister-in-Law horrified me a fortnight ago when she corrected my arithmetic. Both Brother and Cousin died at 63 not 65 as I had miscalculated. I thought I had another two years, bugger.

ben27
1st May 2014, 03:15
good day tony mullen,m,20th april.2014.11.00.#1.re:good to be alive.do not regret growing older.its a privilege denied to others.i never looked at that way,thank you for posting,regards ben27

spongebob
1st May 2014, 04:45
I got a shock a few days ago to read that my old school English master had died.
I read the full details to find that the diseased was his 65 year old son , same christian name, my doesn't time fly.

Bob

stein
1st May 2014, 05:40
Heard a French philosopher, André Glucksmann, answering an interviewer on whether he feared death or not, say that if it weren't for death the deterioration of the body would never stop. That sounds philosophical, but really not that uplifting to me, but then again, shared misfortune doesn’t either, and I sure do hope there's an ending when the rot has reached a certain stage, regardless of my age at that time.

There was this Dutch German singer and actor, Johannes Heesters, who died recently in 2011 at 107 btw, he was on stage till he was 105 and had a wife obviously half his age. One cannot be absolutely sure that he had found the right formula… just maybe he’d have lived much longer with an older wife? :sweat:

Satanic Mechanic
1st May 2014, 07:10
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CWOFK7M0QBM
Acquired taste this, or more accurately it's Marmite, it's the don't you want on listen to! the video has nothing to do with it

KEITHMAR
2nd May 2014, 16:06
Come On now Varley! Don,t start getting depressed on us?... a g.ant t.quickly now!!ARHH ....thats better! RegardsKEITHMAR

Stephen J. Card
2nd May 2014, 16:37
Every day is precious... for everyone. Every day that is snatched by death is so cruel for so many... including so many young... not only by illness, but by accidents and others that may mistakes... Malaya Air, Costa Concordia, Sewol.

What a really hate is the bastar*s who want to go war for being gungho without a thought about anyone else. I don't mean soldiers. They are doing a job. I mean terrorists, murders, rapists and just plain thugs. Right now top of my list is Putin. He is just another Hitler.

End of rant!

To another member to SN.... WELCOME!

Stephen

Boseley
2nd May 2014, 16:43
I am an old Git and my mother is still alive!!!

Pete D Pirate
2nd May 2014, 16:51
Stephen,
Interesting post.

Now, why don't you tell us what you really think.

Cheers,
Pete.

p.s. I secretly agree with you, but don't tell anybody, OK?

Stephen J. Card
2nd May 2014, 16:55
Stephen,
Interesting post.

Now, why don't you tell us what you really think.

Cheers,
Pete.

p.s I secretly agree with you, but don't tell anybody, OK?

LOL.... I just need a bigger stick!

Stephen

Varley
2nd May 2014, 18:48
Come On now Varley! Don,t start getting depressed on us?... a g.ant t.quickly now!!ARHH ....thats better! RegardsKEITHMAR

I wasn't then but later that night a friend of mine was found dead, a week to the day before his mother's 99th birthday. Happy F..... birthday what? She carted off to care (he had been her carer). Him, up the flue this morning. A year and two months younger than me.

Should I be morose? I have survived (so far) so no. I had, however, hoped my sitting by old lady days had died with Mother. Now they start again. At least this one has her marbles - Mother didn't and was only a month from the poison mushrooms.

spongebob
2nd May 2014, 19:33
Varley, you are far too young to be harbouring those sort of thoughts. Get out in the garden, see the sun rise, till the soil, make the body sap rise as it is doing in the spring flora.
As they say every old dog has his day and there is always life in the old dog yet.
Regards

Bob

ART6
2nd May 2014, 23:10
A couple of years ago a very old friend who had been ill for some time called me. He said that he had been diagnosed as having cancer caused by asbestos. He was an ex-marine engineer like me, in the days when no-one told us about that stuff. His doctors wanted to take away half his lungs, but he couldn't face that, so radiotherapy was prescribed. Over the months that followed, we spoke regularly by telephone, but he was becoming noticeably weaker. Then, one Saturday morning, I received a call from his son to tell me that he had passed away an hour before while sitting in his chair in his sitting room. He said that just before that his dad had said "Damn, I meant to phone Tony last night. Must do that!"

Time passes, and I kept in touch with his wife -- a lovely girl who was always a dear friend to my wife and myself. Then came the time when her telephone was never answered. I contacted their son, to be told that she had suffered a massive brain hemorrhage and might not survive it. At the last count she is, apparently, in a permanent vegetive coma. That is heartbreaking for me because I always remember the big hugs that she demanded every time we met.

For some unaccountable reason, while a year older than my friend, I am fit and active. My doctor tell me that my lungs are fine in spite of fifty-odd years of smoking and exposure to asbestos, and my heart only needs pressure regulating daily by means of a pill. Life, I conclude, is one hell of a lottery and it is indeed a privilege denied to many. The solution, I am convinced, is in my lifestyle that involves copious quantities of strong alcohol, and an eternal optimism coupled with a raging hostility to politicians and their bureaucrats. At this rate I expect too be forever young!

KEITHMAR
5th May 2014, 14:47
Very poignant Art. ....Tis; a pity we can,t ALL meet and cheer each other up!Thank you for t hat regards KEITHMAR

Leratty
5th May 2014, 16:49
Its interesting a friend we had in New Orleans a fitness freak suddenly got cancer of pancreas. I would call every Saturday Shanghai time to chat then one Saturday morning his wife said "he could not talk that day." We got a call later that day from his wife to say he was actually dying we we called she told him I had, he smiled & apparently just faded away.
Personally I am happy with ageing only thing that irritates is having to book months in advance to get the TVG old age discount so don't bother as we are spontaneous people. Oh also hang overs take days to get over whereas before over by lunch time at worst.

Varley
6th May 2014, 10:54
Varley, you are far too young to be harbouring those sort of thoughts. Get out in the garden, see the sun rise, till the soil, make the body sap rise as it is doing in the spring flora.
As they say every old dog has his day and there is always life in the old dog yet.
Regards

Bob

Bob, you misunderstand. The poison mushrooms would have been for Mother not me! David V

tony mullen
10th May 2014, 09:53
good on you ben, if a man tells you he is constipated, he is full of crap.
best wishes Tony.

tony mullen
26th May 2014, 23:18
super moderator, thanks mate, it turned out to be a good thread with plenty of response. I had a bit of luck recently.
went to the doctor, he gave me 3 months to live, I couldn't pay the bill so he made it 6. have a great day. TONY