Des. Lyttle

Desi-d
15th May 2014, 00:00
Went to sea as a Junior R/O in 1970 with IMR. As asked by someone else does anyone know when George Todd the Manager of the Croydon Office 'crossed the bar.' He was a good guy. First three ships as Junior were the Geest Bay with Bruce Geale being the Chief R/O, next was the Booker Vanguard, Alan Moss Chief and lastly the Memphis with George Graham chief.
If memory is okay thru the '70s some of the ships were, Thuleland,
Discovery, Harpalycus, Norse Marshall. Vickers Voyager, Manapouri, StrathAssyntt, Strathtruim, Trefusis, and a few more if my memory improves.

Pompeyfan
15th May 2014, 08:37
On behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard Desi-d.

Hopefully, you will make contact with former shipmates. Good luck (Thumb)

hawkey01
15th May 2014, 16:29
Desi-d,

welcome to SN.

Sorry to tell you that Bruce Geale is in very poor health now.

I worked with him for many years at GKA.

Hawkey01

R58484956
15th May 2014, 17:06
Greetings Desi-d and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

Desi-d
15th May 2014, 19:06
Thank-you guys for your kind welcome to SN....have already thoroughly enjoyed browsing your posts. I know a door is always open for sunshine, but I honestly believe these were the best days of my life and luckily got the last good years at sea.
Not all ports were 'good runs ashore' but generally, imagine spending weeks and sometimes longer in a place where people now pay thousands to visit. Seems like another life sometimes...maybe it was!!!

Desi-d
15th May 2014, 19:46
Greetings Hawkey01...your news concerning Bruce Geale saddens me...My first 3 trips to sea were on the Geestbay and Bruce was Chief R/O. He was a character with a good heart. When I tell friends my first port of call was Barbados, I don't know if I'm believed or not.
Are you in contact with Bruce? It's been 42/43 years since we sailed together so memory may have lapsed, like us all.

billyboy
18th May 2014, 09:15
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

Pilot mac
18th May 2014, 11:57
Hi Desi,
have sent you a private message

regards
Dave

Pilot mac
20th May 2014, 20:56
Hi Dessi, thanks for your PM, good to catch up after 40 odd years ! Certainly happy days on Trefusis.

regards
Dave