Esso - Does Anyone Remember Jack May?

Anthony May
16th May 2014, 04:17
My father, Jack May, was an engineer on a number of Esso tankers in the 1950s, including the Fawley, Oxford and Canterbury - he was appointed chief engineer on the Oxford a few days short of his 29th birthday, in 1954. He went on to manage a couple of fleets, including the Esso coastal fleet, in the UK. Some years ago he wrote his autobiography, which is a great read, but he is now 88 and while his sense of humour and the twinkle in his eye remain intact, his memory is not the best, and he can't fill in a few gaps which need filling in. I am editing the book, more for the family history than for any thoughts of publishing it, and I would appreciate hearing from anyone who worked with him, any stories you have to tell, what you remember of him, any photographs, any names, anything - he didn't include many names in the book at all, and the only names I know are two friends from the London office, Frank Soutar and Jack Bicknell (who rose to greater things, but who sadly passed away in Victoria, Australia two or three years ago). I would appreciate any help anyone can give. Cheers, Tony

Pompeyfan
16th May 2014, 07:38
On behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard Tony,

Hopefully, someone will be able to help with the information you are seeking. Good luck (Thumb)

In line with site policy, I have deleted your e-mail address for your own security to prevent you receiving unsolicited e-mails. Members can contact you via the sites Private Message system, where you can disclose your e-mail address if you so wish.

hawkey01
16th May 2014, 15:46
Tony,

welcome to SN. Good luck with your research.

Hawkey01

R58484956
17th May 2014, 09:33
Greetings Tony and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

billyboy
18th May 2014, 09:17
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer