New here, hoping to find information about a Merchant Navy Seaman

Kris Thompson
26th May 2014, 15:59
My name is Kris, and I'm trying to find information about Evan John Davies of Aberporth, Wales, an Able Seaman in the Merchant Navy who was lost at sea 24 June, 1944. Sadly, the CWGC has him aboard the MV Empire Dawn, but the Empire Dawn went down 11 September, 1942. Three ships DID go down the day Evan died: the SS Empire Lough, the MV Derrycunihy, and the SS Fort Norfolk. I was hoping to find crew manifests for each, hoping to find record of Evan. Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Kris

Roger Griffiths
26th May 2014, 16:38
Hello Kris,
EMPIRE DAWN was sunk by the german raider MICHEAL (Raider No. 26) in the Atlantic on 12/09/1942. Vessel was en route Suez to Trinidad to load Bauxite for London. There were 21 survivors (two died on Raider) who were taken to Batavia and became POW,s of the Japanese.
Two members of the crew of EMPIRE DAWN Evan John Davies and James Thomas Young, were subsequently lost on a Japanese transport which was sunk 24/6/1944.
CWGC would record the name of the British vessel he was a crew member of.
There is a File in the British National Archives which records details of survivors of the original sinking.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C10814650

regards
Roger

Kris Thompson
26th May 2014, 17:21
Thank you VERY much!

Kris

chadburn
26th May 2014, 18:22
I have to say Roger it is a great service you and others provide on this Site when members are looking for relatives.(Thumb)

stan mayes
26th May 2014, 21:53
Yes Roger - I thoroughly agree with the Chief -Well done!!
Regards,
Stan

Hugh MacLean
26th May 2014, 23:38
Hello Kris,
This may or may not be him but there is a file for Evan John Davies held at Kew in piece BT 373/1895 (http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C10816444)
This file is for Merchant Seamen PoW who died in Japanese hands.
I will take a look sometime tomorrow and check my files but an early contender would be the Japanese transport Tamahoko Maru.

Regards
Hugh

Pompeyfan
27th May 2014, 15:52
On behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard Kris.

Roger Griffiths
27th May 2014, 16:14
Kris,
Copies of entries in the Registar of Deceased Seamen. You will note the cancellation in the 1943 document.
There is also a Medal card for a Evan John Davies born 1919. Don't know if this is your man but the year of birth is correct. http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D4290099

regards
Roger

Hugh MacLean
28th May 2014, 10:07
There is also a Medal card for a Evan John Davies born 1919. Don't know if this is your man but the year of birth is correct. http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D4290099
Roger

Hello Roger,
To confirm the medal card is for the correct man. His Dis A. No, R125210, is given in BT 373/3721 - List of Deceased Prisoners of War and Internees, Germany and Japan.

I note in the above file that EJ Davies was reported missing on 20th June 1944 and the CWGC has him officially recorded as deceased on 24th June 1944. I note 'TAMAHOKO MARU' sailed on 20th June and was sunk on 24th June. Just my guess at the moment will do some follow-up work and see if anything comes of it.

Regards
Hugh

billyboy
28th May 2014, 22:23
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

WillyJamesMc
1st August 2014, 13:22
The other casualty is reported killed on the 18th September 1944 and was probably lost on the Japanese transport ship Junyo Maru

YOUNG, Chief Engineer Officer, JAMES THOMAS, M.V. Empire Dawn (Sunderland). Merchant Navy. 18th September 1944. Age 44.

karinia
23rd November 2015, 21:43
A friend of Evan John Davies and crewmember on the Empire Dawn and also originally from Aberporth was Thomas James Jones. He was my father's brother and therefore my uncle. He survived the sinking of the Empire Dawn, imprisonment in Java, the sinking of the Tamahoku Maru and subsequent imprisonment in Japan. He was moved from a camp in Nagasaki some six weeks before the dropping of the atomic bomb.

IAN M
24th November 2015, 09:31
The Empire Dawn was managed by the Walter Runciman & Co. Ltd./Moor Line for the Ministry of War Transport and the following is extracted from my book, SHIPPING COMPANY LOSSES OF THE SECOND WORLD WAR.

EMPIRE DAWN. (Captain W.A. Scott). Bound for Trinidad from Durban, when intercepted by the German raider Michel (Kapitän zur See Helmuth von Ruckteschell) on 12 September, 1942. Although the ship signalled that she had stopped and was being abandoned, the raider continued to shell and machine-gun her, killing 20 of her 44 crew, and she sank in position 32º27´S 03º39´W. The survivors were taken on board the Michel, but it would appear that one man died, as they were transferred from her to the Tannenfels on the 21st, and only 23 disembarked when she docked at Tanjong Priok, the port for Batavia (Djakarta). At Tanjong Priok, they were handed over to the Japanese and subsequently became prisoners-of-war in Japan. See also under Lylepark, J. & J. DENHOLM LTD., Patella, SHELL GROUP, Gloucester Castle, UNION-CASTLE LINE, and Arabistan, STRICK LINE.

karinia
24th November 2015, 09:54
Thanks for your reply. As a kid, I was always interested in my uncles wartime exploits but I could never get him to talk about the war. I can now understand why. What he must have seen and gone through is unimaginable.
I've searched everywhere for a picture of the Empire Dawn but there seems to be none on the web. Any one have a picture they would be willing to post?