SS Ethiope and my Norwegian Great Grandfather

Daveymax
1st June 2014, 19:01
Hello. I have just joined the Ships Nostalgia Forum. I am trying to discover who precisely my Norwegian great-grandfather Carl (Gustaf) Martinsen was. He was a Ship's Carpenter Merchant Service during the 1890's. I am descended from his 3rd and last child. I recently discovered that he died on the British ship SS Ethiope (he was actually put ashore and died after 3 weeks in Touro hospital, New Orleans, USA of Typhoid/pneumonia). At the time, he went by the anglicised name Charles Martin, but his death was reported in a Cardiff newspaper under his correct name Carl Gustaf Martinsen/son. He was from Christiania (Oslo) and aged 35 on the day he died, 5th August 1898, so born in 1863 +/- 1 year. It has been discovered that he had previously worked on several ships including the Harewood, Lizzie Westoll and Lucient.
Any thoughts, help or advice would be most appreciated. I intend visiting his town/place of origin when I discover it.

Pompeyfan
1st June 2014, 19:14
On behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team'. welcome aboard Daveymax.

Hopefully, someone will be able to help with the information you are seeking. Good luck (Thumb)

Roger Griffiths
1st June 2014, 21:52
davymax,
No central personal records of merchant seamen were kept between 1857 and effectivly 1918 so its always difficult to research any one from this era.
I can only suggest you start with the 1898 Crew Agreements of ETHIOPE.
There were several vessels around with this name but the probable contender is the vessel with official number 96303.
Crew agreements can be obtained from Maritime History Archive in Newfoundland
http://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/viewcombinedcrews.php?Official_No=96303
I think they charge $40 Canadian per hour research fee.
The crew agreement should tell you his last address and next of kin.
I cannot find him on the Welsh mariners index.

regards
Roger

billyboy
2nd June 2014, 01:03
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

purserjuk
2nd June 2014, 13:39
s.s. "Ethiope". O/No 96303. 2896grt 1905nrt 320.00ft x 40.20ft.
Built Sir Raylton Dixon & Co Ltd., Middlesborough 1889 for Elder Dempster & Co., Liverpool. Sold 8/1891 to Angier Shipping Co.Ltd London. Sold 1899 to L & M Embiricos, Roumania. Renamed "Polynexi". Foundered 8/1905.
There is a model of "Ethiope" in the Marlipins Museum, Shoreham-by-Sea, West Sussex

Daveymax
2nd June 2014, 13:49
That's brilliant....................I live less than 10 miles from Shoreham. My car is in for repair today, so hope to go there tomorrow. I'll report what I discover. Daveymax

stein
2nd June 2014, 14:09
I suggest you try the Mormons, with a full name and year of birth you'll probably find him in their archives. Nothing but marriages, births and deaths there, but that may help you further.

Daveymax
2nd June 2014, 14:18
Thanks Stein. That's a great suggestion. I have managed to find one suitable candidate in Online Norwegian census records, 1865 and 1875, but there is a discrepancy in age of 1 year. The one I find, born in Christiania would have been 36 on the day my great-grandfather died, 5th August 1898, but he is listed as 35 years old on the death certificate.

R58484956
3rd June 2014, 17:43
Greetings Davey and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

Daveymax
3rd June 2014, 20:00
I went to the Marlipins museum in Shoreham-by-Sea Sussex this afternoon and 'hit the jackpot'. I was expecting that the model might have been put away in storage or be a very small model, but in fact it was quite large and in a 6ft wide display case, marvellous. Thanks so much for all your help in finding out what the SS Ethiope looked like. I now have a photograph I can store in my family tree. Daveymax

purserjuk
4th June 2014, 09:35
Pleased to see you found the model. I presume it was still under the table making it difficult to get a good photo.

Daveymax
4th June 2014, 13:54
No, it was possible to get a reasonably good photo, though there were reflections from the glass case of course.
The photograph is 4 Megabytes so I cannot add it to this message without downsizing it, and I'm not too sure how to do that.

joebuckham
4th June 2014, 14:15
Thanks Stein. That's a great suggestion. I have managed to find one suitable candidate in Online Norwegian census records, 1865 and 1875, but there is a discrepancy in age of 1 year. The one I find, born in Christiania would have been 36 on the day my great-grandfather died, 5th August 1898, but he is listed as 35 years old on the death certificate.

davey, there were often mistakes made by all involved in the dates of births, death etc, so being only a year out put that one to one side as a 'most possible'

I lived in shoreham for a few years (in the seventies) and was a regular visitor to both marlipins , pub and museum,

Daveymax
4th June 2014, 20:31
.............and then you gybe,................and from my memories of sea scouts in Barry, South Wales in the 60's.....................the boom swings across and whacks you on the head! Sailing was often precarious in the Bristol channel, like the day we sailed to Flat Holm http://www.flatholmisland.com/ in a force 6 and nearly drowned, but I'm still here to tell the story. Regards, Daveymax

Daveymax
23rd February 2015, 13:01
At last I am attaching a (downsized) photo of the model of the SS Ethiope found in the Marlipins museum Shoreham-by-Sea, Sussex, England.

purserjuk
24th February 2015, 09:46
Daveymax. When I took my photos of the model I had to lie on the floor as it was shoved under a table and difficult to see. It seems in a much better situation now.
Regards

Milner
14th August 2018, 09:52
Hello all, I have only just found these posts regarding the SS Ethiope which have been very helpful to my research on the ship. Although it has been some time since the original posts I thought I would share an image of an item from the ship that I have in my maritime collection that may be of interest to others.