Hello from Vancouver Canada

tillerflat
27th June 2014, 22:59
Hi my name is Arthur King

Have been a watcher of this site for a number of years and decided that I should say how much I enjoy clicking on to SN.

Have been a ship lover since I was old enough to totter down to the beach of West Vancouver just to watch. A career up and down the coast from California to Alaska on deck of tugs, CP coastal ships and tankers for 15 years. Later in 1970 became, horrors, a Customs Officer, mostly at the port of Vancouver.

Now retired and totter down to the beach to watch the big ugly barges with the sharp and dull ends go by.

Gulpers
27th June 2014, 23:19
Arthur,

On behalf of the SN Moderators, thanks for your introduction and a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey.
You will thoroughly enjoy your time on SN and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

I have moved your post into its own thread so other members will find it more easily. (==D)

billyboy
28th June 2014, 02:44
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

TOM ALEXANDER
28th June 2014, 07:38
Hi! Neighbour -- (from Nanaimo) -- welcome to the site. I can see some thread starting with stories about run ins with customs in various places, and all the ways of getting "stuff" by. (Mostly an extra carton of ciggys!) B\)B\)

John Cassels
28th June 2014, 10:16
Shame on you Tom , did you actually try and trick the customs officer ?.

tillerflat
28th June 2014, 18:21
Hi! Neighbour -- (from Nanaimo) -- welcome to the site. I can see some thread starting with stories about run ins with customs in various places, and all the ways of getting "stuff" by. (Mostly an extra carton of ciggys!) B\)B\)

My goodness Tom perhaps those things happened in foreign ports. But
whenever I boarded a British ship I was always met at the head of the gangway by a fellow with a bible in his left hand and an offer of a nice cup of tea and if lucky a crumpet. Honest.(Smoke)

Hamish Mackintosh
29th June 2014, 05:04
whenever I boarded a British ship I was always met at the head of the gangway by a fellow with a bible in his left hand and an offer of a nice cup of tea and if lucky a crumpet. Honest.(Smoke)

Crumpet forsooth! Well that would keep you busy for a while?

tillerflat
29th June 2014, 06:18
Hamish

Not half as long as a haggis!

TOM ALEXANDER
29th June 2014, 08:23

That certainly sounds like a diversionary tactic to me!! (K)