Robin Williams dead

PatriciaAnnT
12th August 2014, 00:13
http://news.msn.com/pop-culture/sheriff-robin-williams-found-dead-in-apparent-suicide

John Rogers
12th August 2014, 00:31
http://news.msn.com/pop-culture/sheriff-robin-williams-found-dead-in-apparent-suicide

RIP Robin. When Johnathan Winters and Robin Williams got together you knew you were in for some fun.(Thumb)

ben27
12th August 2014, 00:49
robin williams dead,great actor,sadly missed.my condolences to his family.regards ben27

Donald McGhee
12th August 2014, 03:12
Absolutely gutted! He was a really funny guy and I enjoyed his later stuff very much. I thought Mork & Mindy absolutely stupid and totally beneath his abilities, although I guess ya gotta start somewhere, but more than compensated for by his later brilliance.
There was always the chance that he would end up as he did, as depression and the like when it affects the stars too often claims them this way.
Very sad. RIP Robin, you made millions laugh, which in this chaotic world was a priceless gift. Thank you.

Satanic Mechanic
12th August 2014, 04:52
oof that's a painful one, you cant help but wonder when someone who is on the face of it is so full of life apparently takes their own life. The man was a comedy genius, a very big part of my formative years and yet disarmingly open about his personal struggles with drugs and alcohol. I remember an interview with him when he was discussing the tragedy of AIDS in San Francisco in the 1980/90s, there was no humour then just a real genuine sadness. He was in many ways a very complex and genuine man and I think will be missed on many levels not just as a comedian and actor

hughesy
12th August 2014, 07:29
Was a real shock to hear the news over the radio today
RIP Robin all the best

Hughesy

Tmac1720
12th August 2014, 09:27
Sad to hear about the loss of this very funny man, just goes to show how serious depression can be, certainly it's not a joke.

I can't help but smile every time I hear Goooooooood Morning Vietnam... brilliant !!

rickles23
12th August 2014, 09:30
A sad loss indeed.
I know what Depression is like.
Regards

cueball44
12th August 2014, 09:56
R.I.P Robin Williams. First seen him in "Mork & Mindy". Great comedian and entertainer.

Frank P
12th August 2014, 10:18
Robin Williams, I enjoyed more or less everything that he did, a very funny man...R.I.P

chadburn
12th August 2014, 13:04
From past memory a fair number of those in the comedy entertainment world seem to suffer badly from depression 'Tears of a Clown'? He was indeed a great entertainer.

roverj
12th August 2014, 13:38
Such a sad loss r.I.p robin williams

ALAN TYLER
12th August 2014, 16:00
A sad sad loss to the world of humour, which is very lacking in this world at times. I used to like Mork and Mindy, sad as it may seem and everybody has to start somewhere. R.I.P. Robin.

Pat Kennedy
12th August 2014, 17:29
When I first saw Robin Williams in Mork and Mindy, I thought to myself, 'thats one guy I would not like to be trapped in a lift with', but he just got better and better.
Good Morning Vietnam showed him at his best, as did Popeye a compulsive performer, with limitless energy.
I think he was one of the best actors to grace the screen in my lifetime, and he will be sadly missed.
RIP

trotterdotpom
12th August 2014, 18:20
Nanu Nanu.

John T

12th August 2014, 20:19
His diversity from straight to funny actor was awesome, RIP Robin, you were taken before your time.

DONALD241
12th August 2014, 20:52
So sad he was a very funny and talented actor and comedian tears of a clown R.I.P Robin.

brooksy
12th August 2014, 21:09
Sad a comic genius

Derek Roger
13th August 2014, 02:07
RIP Popeye

stein
13th August 2014, 06:01
Nanu Nanu.

John T

That was when he wanted to contact Planet Mork, was it? Seems a long time ago...

I read somewhere that the most dangerous profession was poet, because nearly half of them committed suicide . And there might be some logic in that: if you are very sensitive to what's beautiful or funny and charming, you must be equally sensitive to what is ugly, tragic and banal.

Dickyboy
13th August 2014, 06:07
No doubt everything said about Robin Williams is true, but I must say that I didn't go much on him. Too in your face and brash for my taste. Nice guy though, no doubt about that. So many demons though. :(

stein
13th August 2014, 06:23
No doubt everything said about Robin Williams is true, but I must say that I didn't go much on him. Too in your face and brash for my taste. Nice guy though, no doubt about that. So many demons though. :(

I wonder what you mean by that? He always spent a lot of energy in all he did of course, it really can't have been easy stealing a scene from him... And it might be said that the word "overplaying" bounces off him since he always more than overplayed the overplaying. But if you mean he was arrogant I really can't recognise where that manifested itself.

(Every time I hear the name I hear him screaming GOOOOD MOOOORNING VIETNAM... never got tired of him screaming that... Nothing to do with the above, just something loosely appended... :sweat:)

Dickyboy
13th August 2014, 09:31
I don't mean there was anything bad about him at all, certainly not arrogance. It is just that he wasn't my type of entertainer. Never thought much of the Beetles or Stones either come to that. :)
"Good Morning Vietnam" really was good, but I wouldn't have gone to a cinema to watch any of his films.

trotterdotpom
13th August 2014, 10:33
That was when he wanted to contact Planet Mork, was it? Seems a long time ago...

I read somewhere that the most dangerous profession was poet, because nearly half of them committed suicide . And there might be some logic in that: if you are very sensitive to what's beautiful or funny and charming, you must be equally sensitive to what is ugly, tragic and banal.

It was planet Ork, Stein. "Nanu nanu" was "Hello" and "Goodbye" in their lingo.

Williams was very funny but he could also get very manic (a la Spike Milligan) and try to take over Talkshows and such like. He wasn't averse to a bit of plagiarism either, but ... nobody's perfect.

John T

PatriciaAnnT
14th August 2014, 20:13
In a statement to the press, William's wife says the comedian/actor was in early stages of Parkinsons disease.

http://news.msn.com/pop-culture/robin-williams-was-sober-had-early-parkinsons-at-death

Pat Kennedy
18th August 2014, 19:39
Someone postulated on another thread that all the loonies were not Arabs.
Here is further proof that the good ole USA has its very own bunch of raving cretins who infuse their hatred with their contemptible religious beliefs.

A homophobic American church group has announced plans to picket the funeral of actor and comedian Robin Williams.
The Kansas-based Westboro Baptist Church announced through its Twitter feed that it plans to stage a picket at the stars funeral.
The fundamentalist group claims to “preach against all form of sin” and views homosexuality as “a clear and present danger to the survival of America”.
Mr Williams killed himself at his home in California a week ago, and the religious group is thought to have selected his funeral because of his portrayal of a gay father in comedy The Birdcage.
A message posted through its Twitter account read: “Warn living not to mock the god of eternity. Westboro Baptist Church to picket Robin Williams’s funeral.”

What kind of God do these people worship?

Varley
18th August 2014, 23:38
I would have said their god was exclusively in their own heads but I am sure they are too full of feacal matter for there to be room.

I bagged my first Mormons of the season last week - must be another bad crop for them to have appeared so late in the growing season. They really should be polite enough enough to learn when I am teaching but I fear not.

PatriciaAnnT
19th August 2014, 04:03
They make up such a small percentage of the population, yet they manage to get such wide publicity. But, as we all know, the media caters to sensationalism. The majority of the people in the US, like the rest of the world, are mourning his death.