Identification required.

Mjroots
18th August 2014, 23:30
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:StateLibQld_1_169583_Australia_Star_%28ship%2 9.jpg

The photo linked above is identified as Australia Star, but one of my colleagues on Wikipedia thinks it is misidentified. He thinks it is one of Empire Star (1946), Imperial Star (1947) or Melbourne Star (1947). Which ship is this please?

ferrandou
19th August 2014, 11:48
The name Australia Star is written on the bow so that was her name when the photograph was taken. I suppose it may have been one of the others and at some time re-named.

cueball44
19th August 2014, 12:43
Melbourne Star looks most likely.

fred henderson
19th August 2014, 13:19
The main difference between the Australia Star class (Australia Star, Dunedin Star, Empire Star and Sydney Star) and the subsequent Melbourne Star class (Melbourne Star, Brisbane Star, Auckland Star, Wellington Star and Adelaide Star) is that the latter had a longer poop. This does not help as the stern is not visable in this photo.

Although the photo is not clear I would say that Australia Star, or one of her sisters is the most likely answer. Unlike the Melbourne Star class, the Australia Star class had a gap between their lifeboats and only a pair of windows under the bridge wing as shown in this photo.

davidships
20th August 2014, 18:11
The name looks more like 'Melbourne' than 'Australia'.

Haven't found a photo of 'Australia Star' that has a wheelhouse like this one, and note that the row of windows below the wheelhouse is grouped 3-4-3 on the second 'Melbourne Star', whereas they were 4-4 on 'Australia Star' (and the original 1936 'Melbourne Star')

cueball44
20th August 2014, 19:04
The name looks more like 'Melbourne' than 'Australia'.

Haven't found a photo of 'Australia Star' that has a wheelhouse like this one, and note that the row of windows below the wheelhouse is grouped 3-4-3 on the second 'Melbourne Star', whereas they were 4-4 on 'Australia Star' (and the original 1936 'Melbourne Star') Have a look in "old ship picture galleries". You will be able to compare "Melbourne Star" with the photo.

ferrandou
21st August 2014, 11:01
davidships, you are spot on. My post #2 is incorrect, it is indeed Melbourne Star written on the bow. Having enlarged the photo' I then used a magnifying glass.

cueball44
21st August 2014, 12:10
davidships, you are spot on. My post #2 is incorrect, it is indeed Melbourne Star written on the bow. Having enlarged the photo' I then used a magnifying glass.The top of the bridge was another clue.(Thumb)

A.D.FROST
21st August 2014, 13:18
If it was a photo. of the ER it would have been easier to tell,MELBOURNE STAR ran on diesel all her life(what God intend for Double bangers)(Cloud)