Rfa

DURANGO
24th August 2014, 13:15
Do we still have a large fleet within the RFA, tankers ,cargo supply ships and do they still travel worldwide regards to all hands .

OLD STRAWBERRY
24th August 2014, 13:35
No not really.
RFA's. Wave Ruler, Wave Knight, Fort Austin, Fort Rosalie(Fort Grange that was), Either Fort George or Fort Victoria?, Orangeleaf, Gold Rover, five maybe four Bay Class(logistics Ships) Dilligence(Repair Ship) Argus (Helo Training Ship). Four new builds underway (Fuel/Stores). I think that's about it.

George.GM
24th August 2014, 13:43
Tony. Orangeleaf is going shortly.

OLD STRAWBERRY
24th August 2014, 14:09
Yes I'm sure George. When the new ones come on line what next I wonder. Probably the remaining new Fort will go RFA Gold Rover perhaps?. I hope the old Forts stay, many mileage left in those two great Ladies.

LouisB
24th August 2014, 14:27
Tony. Orangeleaf is going shortly.

The way things are going recently I think the plans for the flotilla will be undergoing a re-appraisal - shades of corporate?

LouisB. (Scribe)

DURANGO
24th August 2014, 15:16
Thanks for the information lads am I right in saying that the crews are merchant navy and do these ship,still travel worldwide or are those days long gone best regards Dave .

OLD STRAWBERRY
24th August 2014, 16:26
Basically yes. But I have an idea that they have RNR status. The Lads do have many RN qualifications ie Firefighting, Damage Control, Gunnery, Small Arms, Helicopter Controller, Flight Deck Officer, Flightdeck Training, Helicopter Handling, First Aid etc. All have MN certification for Seamanship, Engine Room and catering. New entrants do have to spend some time at HMS Raleigh. Officers go to HMS Brittania for Navigator Training. So Durango very versatile Men indeed.

stevekelly10
24th August 2014, 17:01
Fort George has already been scrapped ! Fort Victoria and Fort Rosalie remain at the moment

DURANGO
24th August 2014, 17:21
Basically yes. But I have an idea that they have RNR status. The Lads do have many RN qualifications ie Firefighting, Damage Control, Gunnery, Small Arms, Helicopter Controller, Flight Deck Officer, Flightdeck Training, Helicopter Handling, First Aid etc. All have MN certification for Seamanship, Engine Room and catering. New entrants do have to spend some time at HMS Raleigh. Officers go to HMS Brittania for Navigator Training. So Durango very versatile Men indeed. i make you right there regards and thanks Dave .

OLD STRAWBERRY
25th August 2014, 08:32
Yes I did know that one of the Newer Forts had been scrapped but wasn't sure which one. Cheers. I hope the old Forts go on forever. Can't see any reason for them to go anyway.

PS As footnote and probably irrelevant. Although not on RFA books now the old RFA Sir Tristram still remains afloat in Portland Port Harbour and still employed by the MOD.

KEITH SEVILLE
25th August 2014, 10:37
George, you mentioned that Orangeleaf will be going shortly, but she is
in dry dock at Cammel Lairds Birkenhead.

Regards
Keith

Pat Kennedy
25th August 2014, 10:54
George, you mentioned that Orangeleaf will be going shortly, but she is
in dry dock at Cammel Lairds Birkenhead.

Regards
Keith

She is Keith, and has been for about two months, and appears to be undergoing a major refit.
Would MOD do this if they were planning to scrap her?
Of course they would!
As for Fort Rosalie, she completed her refit in Cammell Lairds about six months ago, but still languishes in a backwater of Birkenhead Docks. Victim, we are told, of shortage of crews to man her.
Pat(Thumb)

LouisB
25th August 2014, 11:25
She is Keith, and has been for about two months, and appears to be undergoing a major refit.
Would MOD do this if they were planning to scrap her?
Of course they would!
As for Fort Rosalie, she completed her refit in Cammell Lairds about six months ago, but still languishes in a backwater of Birkenhead Docks. Victim, we are told, of shortage of crews to man her.
Pat(Thumb)

I remember that in the past, quite large sums were spent on partially fitting equipment to some RFA's or re-fitting vessels that shortly after were disposed of. The consensus at the time was that it was politic to use up the total MoD(N) allowance for afloat support or risk a diminished allowance with the next round of defence expenditure sums. This is not really hearsay but occurred on a vessel that I served on and on others that I was reliably informed of.

LouisB. (Scribe)

KEITH SEVILLE
25th August 2014, 15:48
Thanks your replys Pat and Louis.
We will just have to wait and see what happens to Orangeleaf, after she leaves
Lairds at Birkenhead.

Regards
Keith

chadburn
25th August 2014, 15:52
I remember that in the past, quite large sums were spent on partially fitting equipment to some RFA's or re-fitting vessels that shortly after were disposed of. The consensus at the time was that it was politic to use up the total MoD(N) allowance for afloat support or risk a diminished allowance with the next round of defence expenditure sums. This is not really hearsay but occurred on a vessel that I served on and on others that I was reliably informed of.

LouisB. (Scribe)

That is how it works in most Government Departments, "if you don't use it you will lose it" next time, along with many Companies who operate the same policy.

Pat Kennedy
25th August 2014, 16:15
That is how it works in most Government Departments, "if you don't use it you will lose it" next time, along with many Companies who operate the same policy.
That is also the modus operandi in Local Government, it certainly militates against economical prudence. If you only spend half your budget this year, then half your budget will be deemed to be sufficient next year.
If, however, you overspend, you may get a slap on the wrist, but you will have secured an increased budget for next year.
Pat
(Thumb)