hello

judith george
5th September 2014, 20:30
I am an ex merchant navy seaman's daughter from Swansea and I'm researching my Dad's time at sea 38-59.His name was Ernest Davies and his last ship was the Donegal June 58 -April 59 he was the Bosun on this trip would love to hear from anyone who sailed with him

Pompeyfan
5th September 2014, 21:52
On behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard Judith.

Hopefully, someone will remember your father. Good luck

billyboy
5th September 2014, 22:55
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

gdynia
6th September 2014, 01:20
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Roger Griffiths
7th September 2014, 20:31
I am an ex merchant navy seaman's daughter from Swansea and I'm researching my Dad's time at sea 38-59.His name was Ernest Davies and his last ship was the Donegal June 58 -April 59 he was the Bosun on this trip would love to hear from anyone who sailed with him

Hello,
Could you give us a date and place of birth.

regards
Roger

judith george
8th September 2014, 15:01
thank you all for the welcome Roger Dad was born in Swansea 18/2/1922 he was 37 when he left the Merchant Navy.He had a brother Alf who worked on the Tugs in Swansea late 60/70

Roger Griffiths
8th September 2014, 20:09
Hello again,
This seems to be your man.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C8158000

This is his "seamans pouch"
For some individual seamen a collection of his/her papers were filed together in what is known as a seaman’s
‘pouch’. They are held at The National Archives in series BT 372. The contents vary from single registry cardsto ID Cards, photographs, letters, applications forms and other ephemera.
It should also contain his service records 1938- early 1941.
What you really need to find is his form CRS 10 which will record the ships he sailed on together with dates of engagment and discharge from 1941 until he left the service
It should be here
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C10990484
or maybe here
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C10988669
You would be best served visiting Kew yourself. Don't forget his dischage A number R179421
Armed with the info of his ships, you should find it easier to contact former shipmates.

judith george
9th September 2014, 15:08
Hia Roger thank you for your reply I have his pouch,crs10, his discharge book plus some ship's movements His pouch has 7ships some names and engagement dates the rest just ships numbers and a date crs10 starts in 1941 has 1 mystery ship(cant read the name) Bertha have movement card up till 42 Dad was on her in 45 (Admiralty purchased) and his original discharge book he must of lost and applied for a new one in 52 so I have all his ship's from 52 so all together I have the name's of 43 ship's plus 1 so at the moment its like a big jigsaw with extra and missing pieces but I'm getting there

Roger Griffiths
9th September 2014, 17:23
Hello again,
Forgot to say yesterday it appears that he did not claim WW2 medals.
I don't know if you have them.

"Hia Roger thank you for your reply. His pouch has 7ships some names and engagement dates the rest just ships numbers"
I suspect the numbers are ships Official numbers. To find out the names of the vessel's go to

http://www.crewlist.org.uk/data/data.php

Click on "Ships" on the left hand side. That will bring up a page containing the option to search via official number.

regards
Roger

judith george
9th September 2014, 22:20
Hia Roger no Dad never claimed them the only medal he had was a bronze medal from the Royal Humane society but I have sent of to Cardiff for my mother to claim them

Hugh MacLean
10th September 2014, 08:32
Hello Judith,
You need to do some prep work in order to obtain the medals from RSS in Cardiff. You have the pouch and CRS 10 but you will also need to obtain the movement cards for all ships 1939-1945.

Regards
Hugh

judith george
11th September 2014, 22:11
Hia Hugh I have all his ships movement cards bar Bertha which I have up until 1942 spoke to the Guildhall library today and waiting for an email to see if the have voyage cards on her think I've even figured out the mystery ship think its Gwenthills I've even sussed Kew out (crafty little devil's) they take one year out of some of the movement cards and put it in another series so you have to buy the 2 downloads to have the complete card but in saying that I must say the help and advice I have had off member's of this site and British Merchant Navy-old friend's plus has been brilliant I would be still trying to figure it out with just his pouch. Since doing this I have found out my Dad was on the Empire Gull when she was torpedoed his brother Percival R L Davies was on the Empire Wagtail and his brother in-law Richard Huzzy was on the Empire Conveyor Dad had 2 other brother's in the merchant Christopher and Alfred my cousin can remember going to see Christopher in hospital (Swansea) after the ship he was on was torpedoed wonder if it was an Empire ship