Saturday pub lunch

saxonia
9th September 2014, 01:06
I'm trying to replicate one particular dish that was served every Saturday afternoon onboard the Masirah by the wonderful Indian crew in the very late 70s .. Early 80s
From my recollection it consisted of a chapati wrapped around a sort of beef madras filling .. Similar to a wrap in modern terms ?
Does this description jog anyone's memory or in fact any other Indian pub lunch dish that's slipped my memory !
By the way , I have 800g of braising steak ready to go in the slow cooker pending a recipe !

bryanm
9th September 2014, 09:57
Sounds like beef jhal freeji

R396040
9th September 2014, 10:04
Bon Appetit Saxonia

rgrenville
10th September 2014, 18:39
I did a few trips with Indian crew and I believe bryanm is correct. the curry was wrapped in a paratha (Indian fried bread) not chapati. We also added condiments spring onions, tomato chutney, apple etc.
Recipe follows:

Beef Jalfrezi Recipe
(Medium/Hot Curry Indian Recipe)
Serves 4
Beef Jalfrezi Curry Recipe - Ingredients
800g lean steak beef, cut into bite-sized pieces
6 tbsp plain yoghurt
1 tsp turmeric
tsp chilli powder
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
2 clove garlic, finely chopped
1” ginger, finely chopped
2 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
2 green peppers, thinly sliced
1 tsp garam masala
2 tbsp sunflower oil
Few sprigs of coriander leaves
Salt to taste
Beef Jalfrezi Curry Recipe - Cooking Instructions
Mix the yoghurt, turmeric, chilli and lemon juice with the beef and leave to marinate. Heat the oil and gently fry the onions, garlic and ginger until the onions become soft and golden.
Add the beef with its marinade and cook for two minutes stirring frequently. Add the tomatoes and fry until the beef is almost cooked. Add the green peppers and garam masala and cook until peppers have softened.
Add salt and fresh coriander to taste.

Dickyboy
10th September 2014, 20:29
I did a few trips with Indian crew and I believe bryanm is correct. the curry was wrapped in a paratha (Indian fried bread) not chapati. We also added condiments spring onions, tomato chutney, apple etc.
Recipe follows:

Beef Jalfrezi Recipe
(Medium/Hot Curry Indian Recipe)
Serves 4
Beef Jalfrezi Curry Recipe - Ingredients
800g lean steak beef, cut into bite-sized pieces
6 tbsp plain yoghurt
1 tsp turmeric
tsp chilli powder
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
2 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 ginger, finely chopped
2 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
2 green peppers, thinly sliced
1 tsp garam masala
2 tbsp sunflower oil
Few sprigs of coriander leaves
Salt to taste
Beef Jalfrezi Curry Recipe - Cooking Instructions
Mix the yoghurt, turmeric, chilli and lemon juice with the beef and leave to marinate. Heat the oil and gently fry the onions, garlic and ginger until the onions become soft and golden.
Add the beef with its marinade and cook for two minutes stirring frequently. Add the tomatoes and fry until the beef is almost cooked. Add the green peppers and garam masala and cook until peppers have softened.
Add salt and fresh coriander to taste.

That sounds much better than the minestrone cup-soup that I've just had. (Jester)

Farmer John
10th September 2014, 20:40
That sounds much better than the minestrone cup-soup that I've just had. (Jester)

How can you do that to yourself?

trotterdotpom
11th September 2014, 00:57

I hate that cuppa-soup Minestrone - they fill it with bits of spaghetti and turn it into foreign muck. Real minestrone in Italy doesn't contain worms, seashells or letters of the alphabet, it is quite civilised and surprisingly delicious.

Having said that, you could do a lot worse than your cuppa-soup, Dicky .... pot noodles for instance.

John T

Dickyboy
11th September 2014, 05:26
I hate that cuppa-soup Minestrone - they fill it with bits of spaghetti and turn it into foreign muck. Real minestrone in Italy doesn't contain worms, seashells or letters of the alphabet, it is quite civilised and surprisingly delicious.

Having said that, you could do a lot worse than your cuppa-soup, Dicky .... pot noodles for instance.

John T

I bought some when touring Oz a few months ago. It was undrinkable. There was no meat or meat derived products in the meat flavoured ones though I can't remember the ingredients it seemed to be a mixture of chemicals. I think the brand was Continental or something. Brit ones at least "Bachelors" have natural ingredients, and with a couple of slices of wholemeal bread fill a hole before bed.
I do eat real food as well of course....sometimes. :)
Sorry , gone off subject.