Joan Rivers

RayL
22nd September 2014, 11:32
Like so many, I was often amused by her sharp wit. However, I would like to draw attention to a high spot in her life which occurred during an episode of 'Midweek' on Radio 4 in 2009; fellow guest Darcus Howe made the error of accusing her of being a racist, and for the next two minutes or so there were ructions in the studio as Joan verbally demolished him in response--just like watching the Rodney sink the Bismarck. An unforgettable piece of radio for those who witnessed the broadcast.

trotterdotpom
22nd September 2014, 12:20
Joan Rivers was accused of racism only a couple of weeks before she died. See:

http://www.algemeiner.com/2014/07/31/joan-rivers-defends-israel-again-hamas-should-get-nose-jobs-rihanna-and-selena-should-shut-up-and-get-off-the-drugs/

Personally, I thought she was hilarious. A great loss.

John T

Satanic Mechanic
22nd September 2014, 12:34
I remember that broadcast - He never called her a racist - he suggested the use of the term 'black' seemed to offend her - she then went off on one that made her sound as ignorant as she was offensive.

Funny woman though

lesbryan
22nd September 2014, 14:04
Never liked her wit (it was atrocious) funny not .She was a racist as well it was proven a few times

JohnD610
22nd September 2014, 14:08
The word that always came to mind when I saw or heard Joan Rivers was "acerbic".

She was one of those "celebrities" you either loved or hated.

May she Rest In Peace.

RayL
22nd September 2014, 15:25
Never liked her wit (it was atrocious) funny not .She was a racist as well it was proven a few times

I think we are ALL racists deep down, so perhaps it is right and natural that we should be so. If we are expected to behave unnaturally and protest all the time that we are not racists then perhaps there is something wrong with the set-up. It's the post-colonial thing that seems to be haunting us and making us do things that we perhaps shouldn't sensibly be doing.

joebuckham
22nd September 2014, 15:43
I think we are ALL racists deep down, so perhaps it is right and natural that we should be so. If we are expected to behave unnaturally and protest all the time that we are not racists then perhaps there is something wrong with the set-up. It's the post-colonial thing that seems to be haunting us and making us do things that we perhaps shouldn't sensibly be doing.

sorry to blow your theory out of the water ray, but don't include me in your 'all' and I don't think I am being unnatural to accept people for what they are and protesting at generalisation.

RayL
22nd September 2014, 15:56
sorry to blow your theory out of the water ray, but don't include me in your 'all' and I don't think I am being unnatural to accept people for what they are and protesting at generalisation.

Being liberal is fine and good up to a point, but what do you do when newcomers disappoint you; or show that they actually hate you despite having chosen to come to your country? I've encountered quite a lot in that category.

Satanic Mechanic
22nd September 2014, 16:04
Being liberal is fine and good up to a point, but what do you do when newcomers disappoint you; or show that they actually hate you despite having chosen to come to your country? I've encountered quite a lot in that category.

Yeah! What race were they?

joebuckham
22nd September 2014, 16:22

ignore them, they sound like possible racists to me, but having never met them I can't really pass judgement(Thumb)

ben27
22nd September 2014, 23:26
joan rivers .today,a great entertainer,may she rest in peace,regards ben27