Hello

tomdar
22nd September 2014, 20:33
I come from an aviation background I joined this site to carry out some research into the Guinness ships Lady Patricia and Miranda.

Pompeyfan
22nd September 2014, 21:06
On behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard tomdar.

Hopefully, someone will be able to help with the information you are seeking. Good luck (Thumb)

billyboy
22nd September 2014, 21:37
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all all this great site has to offer

gdynia
23rd September 2014, 06:28
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

david freeman
23rd September 2014, 08:13
I come from an aviation background I joined this site to carry out some research into the Guinness ships Lady Patricia and Miranda.

Well you have the stout nerves to enquire and the befuddled mind to ask: But do not worry. In my days at sea in the 60's many and engineer in senior positions were ex RAF engineers, who joined the MN. Some RAF personeel were on the RAF Mount Battern Fleet of Rescuse/Recovery Boats and yet some served as ground staff in the RAF as engineers.
By the way do you drink the poor man's 'Black Velvet' and most pleasant of drinlks, and a cannibal of a good Guiness.(Jester):sweat:

tomdar
23rd September 2014, 21:28
Hi All,
Thanks for the welcome what a great web site. Yes David I have been known to sample the poor man's Black Velvet. I was born in Dublin and live about 5 miles from the brewery so I am under obligation to sample it at every opportunity. I am now able to combine two of my interests Beer and Ships doesn't get much better than that. I have come across quite a few ex RAF engineers in my career always found them to be very capable and above all else calm in a crisis. (Thumb)

retfordmackem
30th September 2014, 18:43
On behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard tomdar.

Hopefully, someone will be able to help with the information you are seeking. Good luck (Thumb)

Dear Moderator how do I start a thread ,for some reason I find it impossible to find the starting point to do this .

richardwakeley
7th October 2014, 09:51
G'day Tomdar.
The Guinness tanker Miranda Guinness was the last ship built by Charles Hill's shipyard in Bristol. I watched the launching, sometime in early 70s.
Charles Hill had a long relationship with Guinness, I believe they also built the previous generation of coasters on the Dublin-Liverpool run - The Lady Patricia and The Lady Grania. I hope that's correct, memory fading.
Rgds,
Richard

R58484956
7th October 2014, 14:34
Greetings tomdar and welcome to SN.Bon voyage.

Basil
7th October 2014, 14:58
RAF Mount Battern Fleet of Rescuse/Recovery Boats
Used to be thrown in the sea from those before being winched out by helicopter.

tomdar
12th October 2014, 21:55
Hi Richard,
Thanks for the info, your memory is still working fine although The Lady Grania was built at Ailsa Troon, 1952 Scotland. Do you mind if I ask your connection with the launch of the Miranda.
Rgds
Tom

richardwakeley
2nd November 2014, 06:33
Tom,
I just watched the launching as a spectator from the other side of the dock. I was on leave at the time and the local newspaper had reported it was the last one.
Sorry for this late reply, hope you see it.
Richard